[comp.sources.d] need help with empire 1.2

sns@tybalt.caltech.edu (Samuel N. Southard) (04/26/87)

I have empire 1.2 running on my system.  I wanted to try a 128x128 map, but the
output of empcre is consistently about 5% or less water, about 10% mountain,
and the rest wilderness.  Does anyone know of a way to fix this?  It would be
very nice to be able to play on a world 128x128.  If no one does know of a way
to fix this, what is the largest size map you have successfully made?

My cat can quack, can yours?		genghis!sns@csvax.Caltech.Edu

jld#@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Davis) (04/27/87)

To: outnews#ext.nn.rec.games.empire@andrew.cmu.edu,
	outnews#ext.nn.comp.sources.d@andrew.cmu.edu

I would like to help but we only have empire version 1.1. What ever happened
to the mods to 1.1 to make it 1.2?

Jay Davis
jld@andrew.cmu.edu

john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) (05/04/87)

In article <2482@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, sns@tybalt.caltech.edu (Samuel N. Southard) writes:
> I have empire 1.2 running on my system.  I wanted to try a 128x128 map, but the
> output of empcre is consistently about 5% or less water, about 10% mountain,
> and the rest wilderness.  Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

Sorry, but you seem to be out of luck.  Problem has to do with a sign
extension bug.  The dimensions are stored in characters (bytes), and
when one is >127, it becomes negative causing all sorts of strange problems.

Solution: send me a note asking how to receive my latest version of
	empire, Ill send a letter back to you describing what you need
	to do to get it.

That goes for anyone else interested in the latest (bug-free!!?!??!?)
Empire.  it is now fully auto-configuring, and works on all machines
that allow you to have BOTH unsigned and signed characters.  The 3b2 series
machines DO NOT fall into this category, and empire does not work
properly on them.

Send requests to:
	decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!polyof!john
	iguana!{polyof,polyob}!john