[comp.sources.d] Basic => Anything

flamer@argent.UUCP (Jim Trethewey @mithril) (04/24/87)

In article <429@sjfc.UUCP>, cm3381@sjfc.UUCP (Chris Mckechney) writes:

> I know, I know.....   Please forgive me for asking such  a  lowly
> thing  but  has ANYBODY ever even heard a wisper of a notion that
> there is a program to translate BASIC into *ANYTHING*?????

I knew of a BASIC to FORTRAN converter when I was in Albuquerque,
New Mexico, in 1976.  The Albuquerque Public Schools system had a
DECsystem-10 at the Career Enrichment Center on Mountain Rd.,
downtown, just west of where is splits off Lomas Blvd.

This program, called "BASFOR" converted BASIC, for which we had only an
interpreter, to FORTRAN, for which we had a compiler that had pure
(i.e., sharable) code segment generation.

They weren't on USENET, but maybe they are now, and maybe they still have
it.

       --Jim Trethewey,  Intel Corporation BITBUS Engineering
	 Hillsboro, Oregon

josh@hi.UUCP (04/27/87)

In article <26@argent.UUCP> flamer@argent.UUCP (Jim Trethewey @mithril) writes:
 >In article <429@sjfc.UUCP>, cm3381@sjfc.UUCP (Chris Mckechney) writes:
 >>
 >I knew of a BASIC to FORTRAN converter when I was in Albuquerque,
 >New Mexico, in 1976.  The Albuquerque Public Schools system had a
 >DECsystem-10 at the Career Enrichment Center on Mountain Rd.,
 >downtown, just west of where is splits off Lomas Blvd.

Still there...

 >This program, called "BASFOR" converted BASIC, for which we had only an
 >interpreter, to FORTRAN, for which we had a compiler that had pure
 >(i.e., sharable) code segment generation.
 >
 >They weren't on USENET, but maybe they are now, and maybe they still have
 >it.

Ho ho...

They are not on USENET.  I have offered to give them feeds and help
them become USENET people but the politics (a hallmark of APS)
have made network a bad word.  Also, they are now running
a VAX/VMS and so have non of the old software/hardware
(offered it to me if I would ship it out).  Sorry
guys...

 >       --Jim Trethewey,  Intel Corporation BITBUS Engineering
 >	 Hillsboro, Oregon

I find it hard to believe that there are no converters PD out
there.  I wrote a bad one a few years back as a bet for a six-pack
of beer.  Did 9/10'ths of it using cpp defines.  What kind of
basic do you need a converter for?  IBM/PC true basic (subroutines),
Apple basic, etc...

I don't have my converter (I threw it out) but the type of basic makes
a difference...

--
Josh Siegel		(siegel@hc.dspo.gov)
                        (505) 277-2497  (Home)

beadel@oswego.UUCP (05/06/87)

In article <429@sjfc.UUCP>, cm3381@sjfc.UUCP (Chris Mckechney) writes:

> I know, I know.....   Please forgive me for asking such  a  lowly
> thing  but  has ANYBODY ever even heard a wisper of a notion that
> there is a program to translate BASIC into *ANYTHING*?????

At the DECUS symposium in Nashville that concluded last Friday (1-MAY-87)
there was a BOF session on a DEC BASIC+ to unix C translator. As I recall
one of the people who attended the session said that the translator worked
100% for BASIC+ and something like 95%-98% for BASIC+2. I believe my source
told me that the translator was the product (read $$) of some company in
England. I can scrounge through my criptic notes and at least get you pointed
in the right direction if you are still interested.
		Ed
--
Edward F. Beadel, Jr., Manager {seismo|decvax}!rochester\
Instructional Computing Center                   allegra !rocksvax!oswego!beadel