[comp.sources.d] IBM PC as a terminal

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (05/31/87)

In article <16906@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:

>Why would you want a PC instead of a terminal? Well, in addition to
>the fact that it can be cheaper (particularly if you want graphics)
>the IBM monitor makes really nice characters and the IBM keyboard
>feels VERY nice. I don't know how well the clones do in this area.

Bah.  The IBM keyboards are detestable.  They are much too noisy for
office or home ... perhaps they'd be suitable for a factory floor.
Their layout is atrocious.  And until recently they obnoxiously overloaded
the numeric keypad with function and cursor keys.  Everyone agrees that
NumLock is a total botch.

And the IBM monitor?  Gack.  Either you're talking about a CGA and IBM
color monitor, since you mention graphics, or you're talking about
the monochrome adapter.  The CGA is garbage -- you'd go blind looking
at it for eight hours a day.  The monochrome adapter does deliver nicely
formed characters at a reasonable resolution, but the IBM monochrome
green screen has such a long persistence that when the display scrolls,
it smears like Tammy Bakker's mascara.

Now, you could build a nice terminal out of an AT clone, with one of
the new keyboards with separate cursor keys and without the raucous
IBM clackety-clack, and either an EGA with a multisync monitor or a mono
adapter and any non-IBM amber display.  But you're sure not going to
build a decent terminal with IBM hardware.

My main terminal at work is an AT clone, with a new-style silent
keyboard, a Hercules knock-off mono card and an amber monitor.
I like it a lot.  I would never trade any of the components for
their IBM equivalents.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.BSW.COM          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) (06/01/87)

Bullpuckey.  Just because YOU don't like the pc keyboard doesn't mean that
the rest of us don't.  I love the pc keyboard's feel.  What are you going to
use the numerical keypad for anyway?  Do you make your living at data entry?
You want noisy?  Try typing on a sun2.  The pc layout is no worse than any
other layout.  You get used to it.  What are YOU using as a terminal?  A
beehive?  Something that offers a large scrollback region like kermit on the
pc does?

There's a big difference between a pc clone and a pc.  Many of the clones
I've seen have terrible keyboards.  Of course, you should all be using gigi's

darrylo@hpsrlc.UUCP (06/01/87)

In comp.sources.d, campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
>In article <16906@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>>
>>Why would you want a PC instead of a terminal? Well, in addition to
>>the fact that it can be cheaper (particularly if you want graphics)
>>the IBM monitor makes really nice characters and the IBM keyboard
>>feels VERY nice. I don't know how well the clones do in this area.
>
>Bah.  The IBM keyboards are detestable.  They are much too noisy for
>office or home ... perhaps they'd be suitable for a factory floor.
>Their layout is atrocious.  And until recently they obnoxiously overloaded
>the numeric keypad with function and cursor keys.  Everyone agrees that
>NumLock is a total botch.
1. Although I agree the layout is not the best, I think that the *FEEL* of
   the IBM keyboard is second to NONE.  There are MANY keyboards that
   feel as if one is typing on a bowl of grits, but IBM's (at least the
   older versions) is not one of them.  I'll take noise over a mushy
   keyboard anytime.
2. I also agree that the keypad should be broken into a separate cursor and
   numeric keypad, but I don't generally like the way manufacturers have
   gone about it.  The beauty of the cursor keypad is that, once the hand
   is over the keypad, one only has to move a finger no more than HALF AN
   INCH to access one of several functions (while editing), like move the
   cursor, page up and down, move the cursor to the beginning or end of a
   line, etc.  Best of all, this can be done WITHOUT looking at the
   keyboard (since one only has to move a finger no more than half an
   inch).  There are manufacturers which break apart the cursor keypad
   into separate areas like cursor and function (home, delete, insert, etc.),
   and this makes it extremely difficult to press keys without looking at the
   keyboard.

>And the IBM monitor?  Gack.  Either you're talking about a CGA and IBM
>color monitor, since you mention graphics, or you're talking about
>the monochrome adapter.  The CGA is garbage -- you'd go blind looking
                                     ^^^^^^^
You didn't mention that the screen blinks as it scrolls :-).

>at it for eight hours a day.  The monochrome adapter does deliver nicely
>formed characters at a reasonable resolution, but the IBM monochrome
>green screen has such a long persistence that when the display scrolls,
>it smears like Tammy Bakker's mascara.
>
>Now, you could build a nice terminal out of an AT clone, with one of
>the new keyboards with separate cursor keys and without the raucous
>IBM clackety-clack, and either an EGA with a multisync monitor or a mono
>adapter and any non-IBM amber display.  But you're sure not going to
>build a decent terminal with IBM hardware.
>
>My main terminal at work is an AT clone, with a new-style silent
>keyboard, a Hercules knock-off mono card and an amber monitor.
>I like it a lot.  I would never trade any of the components for
>their IBM equivalents.

     I don't get it -- do you hate IBM or their hardware???  Clone hardware
generally acts just like IBM's hardware, down to the noxious blinking of the
CGA.

>--
>Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
>Internet: campbell@maynard.BSW.COM          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109
>uucp: {husc6,mirror,think}!maynard!campbell         +1 617 367 6846
>----------

     -- Darryl Okahata
        ucbvax!ucbcad!ames!hplabs!hpcea!hpsrla!darrylo		<== best path
	hplabs!hpcea!hpsrla!darrylo				<== alternative
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/02/87)

The noxious blinking of the CGA is software!  Programs that don't use
the BIOS to scroll the display don't get cause their users to get ill.

-Ron