[comp.sources.d] Notes about the PD cron just posted to comp.sources.misc

paul@vixie.UUCP (06/15/87)

(Note: bitstring will appear on comp.sources.misc shortly)

Okay, this is the Cron I've been talking about since last December.  It was
in production use at Mirror Systems before r$ left; it has been in production
use on 'vixie' since February.  Therefore I know it will run on Pyramids and
Symmetrics.

I want to post it to comp.sources.unix, eventually; r$ did in fact try to
post it right after it was renamed from mod.sources, but it died in transit.

Since comp.sources.unix is on hold right now, it makes good sense for me to
post it to comp.sources.misc, as I just did -- this way I can get all the
bug-fixes and enhancements integrated into it before the comp.sources.unix
posting.  Therefore, consider this a "beta" version, even though it is known
to work.

I'd like to see:
	-- a companion 'at' program (this one can use the BSD4.2 at(1), but
	   I'd like to see a PD version to make the package "complete")
	-- cron.allow/cron.deny, with man pages and all.  This will not be
	   terribly difficult, but it WILL be kindof tedious.
	-- ports to generic system V, generic Xenix, and common offshoots.
	-- portability enhancements as neccessary -- if I depend on
	   sizeof(int)==sizeof(char*), or whatever, I want it nuked.  My
	   lint(1) sucks, so I can't be sure how good a job I've done here.

Please send me your bug fixes, don't post them to the net.  I'll post patch
kits as needed, and the Official version will go to comp.sources.unix after
it revives.  See my signature for mail addresses if you aren't running a
smart mailer.

Also, Allbery@ncoast writes:
>in their crontab.  The environment setting is also useful, and is NOT in
>System V (cron/.proto is a poor substitute).  Also: the interaction of day-of-
>month and day-of-week is incompatible with existing crons.  ++bsa]

I tried very hard to reconcile common-sense with the BSD and ATT treatment
of day-of-week/day-of-month matching; if someone can clarify what it would
mean to be "compatible" (if I'm not, as I thought I was), please do so.  I
would like this cron to be a drop-in replacement for BSD or ATT cron; there-
fore, the brain-damaged (my opinion) treatment of day-of-week/day-of-month
will be replicated as much as possible.  I am interested in providing a
basic compatibility with some options available through environment vars...
--
Paul A Vixie Esq
329 Noe Street       {ptsfa, crash, hoptoad, ucat}!vixie!paul