[comp.sources.d] looking for scrabble source code / references

loosemor@esunix.UUCP (Sandra Loosemore) (06/21/87)

I recently dug up a scrabble implementation for VAX/VMS that I think
originally came off a DECUS games tape a few years ago (it calls itself "P?S
SCRABBLE").  This thing really plays a mean game!!  I got to thinking
about what kind of algorithm it uses -- besides having a huge vocabulary,
it's also quite speedy, so I suspect that it must be doing some kind of
hashing or preprocessing on the dictionary instead of just a brute force
search.  Is there any literature on heuristics for scrabble?  Better yet,
does anybody know of a PD scrabble game I could get source code for?

-Sandra Loosemore
{decwrl, utah-gr!uplherc}!esunix!loosemor

bruce@dolqci.UUCP (Bruce Limber) (06/23/87)

In article <370@esunix.UUCP> loosemor@esunix.UUCP (Sandra Loosemore) writes:
>I recently dug up a scrabble implementation . . . huge vocabulary, . . .
>quite speedy, . . . must be doing some kind of hashing or preprocessing
>on the dictionary . . ..  Is there any literature on heuristics for scrabble?
>. . . PD scrabble . . . source code?

A fascinating thought:  I've always thought that the semi-ultimate computer
program would be one to generate newspaper-grade crossword puzzles.

Please post your findings!

Best,

--
Bruce Limber (seismo!dolqci!bruce)
The opinions I have expressed above are shared by my boss, my employer, the