[comp.sources.d] Using a PC for a terminal

In article <16906@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
< Speaking of terminals, I note that PC clones with floppy only drives,
< monitor, and DOS can be gotten in the $600 range, which is less than
< we pay for DEC VT-220s.
<
< Why would you want a PC instead of a terminal? Well, in addition to
< the fact that it can be cheaper (particularly if you want graphics)
< the IBM monitor makes really nice characters and the IBM keyboard
< feels VERY nice. I don't know how well the clones do in this area.

Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow
control).  You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).
--
|------------dan levy------------|  Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
|--------skokie, illinois--------|

robert@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Robert Viduya) (06/01/87)

>levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) (levy@ttrdc.UUCP, <1731@ttrdc.UUCP>):
> Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
> terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow
> control).

This is just plain wrong.  I've written a comm program (vt100) that
gets about 9000 baud max throughput on a standard 4Mhz 8088 PC (running
at 9600 baud occasionally requires flow control, 7200 baud doesn't need
any).  This program is written in 90% C and 10% assembly.  If it was
entirely in assembly it could probably run at over 15000 baud.  Since
most clones are faster than a PC (8Mhz or a V20 or 8086 or various
combinations) they ought to be able to handle true 9600 baud with no
flow control.  And I when I say true 9600 baud, I mean characters being
pumped over the line at the maximum 960 cps sustained (assuming 8
bits/1 start/1 stop), which you might call "bursts".

> You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
> you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).

Based on my experience with the AT&T 4425, I wouldn't recommend an AT&T
terminal if speed was a major criterion.  Now I don't have any
experience with any of the other terminals that AT&T sells (save for the
5620, which I'm not sure really counts), but the 4425 is the slowest
VT100 emulating terminal I've ever used.  I've not timed it, but I don't
think it'll handle greater than 4800 baud (certainly not 7200 baud).
Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad terminal in most other respects.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya						  robert@pyr.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services

john@viper.Lynx.MN.ORG (John Stanley) (06/01/87)

In article <1731@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
 >In article <16906@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
 >< Speaking of terminals, I note that PC clones with floppy only drives,
 >< monitor, and DOS can be gotten in the $600 range, which is less than
 >< we pay for DEC VT-220s.
 ><
 >< Why would you want a PC instead of a terminal? Well, in addition to
 >< the fact that it can be cheaper (particularly if you want graphics)
 >< the IBM monitor makes really nice characters and the IBM keyboard
 >< feels VERY nice. I don't know how well the clones do in this area.
 >
 >Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
 >terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow
 >control).  You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
 >you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).

  Heck, why not just pick up an Atari ST?  You can get a very-very sharp
clear monochrome monitor, 1meg Ram, 1 720-800k 3.5" disk drive and a nice
keyboard (better in-my-opinion by a long shot than most of the PC clones)
for around $550.  You can easily pick up good PD terminal software that
doesn't have dropped-char problems even as fast as 19.2Kbaud for the cost
of a few phone calls.  I use one for my primary terminal in 50-line vt100
mode and it works like a gem.. (pun intended :)

  I don't want to start any sys.flame.wars I'm just pointing out a good
alternative to the one-track mindset that says it's gotta be a personal
clone...  Why buy a 256-640k 8086 based machine for $600 when you can get
a nicer keyboard with a good monitor and a higher density disk drive on
a one megabyte 68000 system (that has enough speed to handle high speeds
-and- lots of features without dropping chars) for less money...?

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

mikel@codas.UUCP (06/02/87)

>> Why would you want a PC instead of a terminal? Well, in addition to
>> the fact that it can be cheaper (particularly if you want graphics)
>> the IBM monitor makes really nice characters and the IBM keyboard
>> feels VERY nice. I don't know how well the clones do in this area.
>
> Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
> terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow
> control).  You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
> you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).

There is a good reason why I use my Pc (Pc7300 upgraded to a 3B1) instead
of the AT&T 4425 sitting beside it. The 4425's max baud rate is 19200,
however our data switch can't handle more than 9600.

The 3B1 is on our StarLan. I can open up a window whatever size I want,
and using my "rlogin" program (forget "cu" [ugh] over StarLan!) talk
to all of our other computers at well over 19200 baud. You should see the
window refresh at this speed on the Unix Pc! Not to mention that I can have
windows up to over half a dozen machines at the same time.

Of course I can run windows on the 4425 too, but it's not as nice as the
Pc, and neither come close to a 5620 DMD (which is not *just* a terminal - btw).
--
					Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS
					mikel@codas.att.com.uucp

          Copyright 1987. Redistribution via Stargate PROHIBITED

caf@omen.UUCP (06/02/87)

In article <1731@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
:Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
:terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow
:control).  You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
:you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).
:--

That also depends on what software you're running.  For example, DOS 3.2
causes some problems at 19200 bps that don't happen with DOS 2.1.  Some
memory resident programs and device drivers cause problems with high speed
communications.

But the biggest problem may be in the terminal emulation software.  Many
programs run into trouble above 1200 or so.

On the other hand, ZCOMM (shareware) or Pro-YAM can handle 9600 or 19200
bps without dropping characters.  They can even handle EDT or the DEC Store
demo at those speeds.  They can handle bursts of >20k at these speeds, and
assert flow control correctly for sustained output.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of Pro-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
  17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231  Voice: 503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 2400/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF  Source:TCE022
  omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

dc@sdd.UUCP (06/03/87)

	An AT&T terminal !!!! UGH!! UGH!!!  I have an AT&T 610 terminal
that I wish I didn't!!!
											-dc

elg@killer.UUCP (06/05/87)

in article <1071@viper.Lynx.MN.ORG>, john@viper.Lynx.MN.ORG (John Stanley) says:

> In article <1731@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>  >In article <16906@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>  >< Speaking of terminals, I note that PC clones with floppy only drives,
>  >< monitor, and DOS can be gotten in the $600 range, which is less than
>  >< we pay for DEC VT-220s.
>   Heck, why not just pick up an Atari ST?  You can get a very-very sharp
> clear monochrome monitor, 1meg Ram, 1 720-800k 3.5" disk drive and a nice
> keyboard (better in-my-opinion by a long shot than most of the PC clones)
> for around $550.
  NICE KEYBOARD? Welllll....  Right now I am using a Commodore 128 with a
VT100 emulator. The C-128 keyboard fixes all the atrocities of previous
Commodore keyboards -- it has a full numeric pad, keys for almost all ASCII
characters (the only ones missing are the little curly braces), and decent if
mushy feel. The only problem: it's built into the system console. And believe
me, a full keyboard is BIG. and CLUMSY. Where with a IBM clone I can move the
keybord around to relieve fatigue, or lean back with it on my lap, or
otherwise enjoy myself, with the C-128, it just SITS there (and I can't even
move the thing, because I have all sorts of quirky hardwar plugged into the
expansion ports). And putting it on a typewriter stand would be out of the
question because of its size and all the cables exiting from various
directions, so it sits up there higher than my lap -- right where typing
teachers tell you you're NOT supposed to have your keyboard.
  My next computer is NOT going to have an all-in-one keyboard... life is too
short for that kind of frustration. Now, I guess if you're using the Religious
Crusade method of typing ("seek, and thou shalt find"), it's not too bad, but
to a touch-typist....
 BTW, this is NOT an endorsement of the C-128 -- its maximum baud rate is 2400
baud (and that AT&T dude thought that IBM equipment was slow!).
--
Eric Green   elg%usl.CSNET     CS student, University of SW Louisiana
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg      Apprentice Haquer, Bayou Telecommunications

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (06/09/87)

In article <1731@ttrdc.UUCP>, levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
> Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
> terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow
> control).  You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
> you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).

Don't be too sure about that.  The AT&T 4425 has a hard time keeping up
with speeds beyond 2400 baud for extended periods of time unless the
X-ON, X-OFF protocol is enabled.  BUT, that makes the terminal HANG
on one of our half duplex systems.  The only way out is a terminal
reset, which drops the line, and signs me off.  Conversely I often use
a Phillips IBM PC (believe it or not *SLOWER* than the original IBM)
with Procomm at 9600 baud with very few problems.  I guess the key is
design implementation.

< Fodder for INEWS>
<
<
<

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken *** NOT ken@bellcore.uucp ***

katzung@laidbak.UUCP (Brian Katzung) (06/13/87)

- From: levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy)
- Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
- terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow
- control).  You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
- you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).
- --
- |------------dan levy------------|  Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
- |         an engihacker @        |		vax135}!ttrdc!ttrda!levy
- |    at&t data systems division  |  Disclaimer:  try datclaimer.
- |--------skokie, illinois--------|

It sounds as if you're suggesting that any AT&T terminal will keep up at
speeds greater than 4800 baud!  I have news for you:  not all of them do.
The one I have in mind has no host flow control.

If you want something that really works, I hope you test it before you buy
it (or can get a refund), or forever hold your PC!

Brian Katzung
(A contractor at AT&T Information Systems, Naperville, Illinois)

The comments expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer or my client.

davev@spked.UUCP (06/14/87)

In article <1075@laidbak.UUCP>, katzung@laidbak.UUCP (Brian Katzung) writes:
] - From: levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy)
] - Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
] - terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow
] - control).  You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
] - you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).
] - --
] - |         dan Levy               |		vax135}!ttrdc!ttrda!levy
]
] It sounds as if you're suggesting that any AT&T terminal will keep up at
] speeds greater than 4800 baud!  I have news for you:  not all of them do.
] The one I have in mind has no host flow control.
] Brian Katzung

Some terminals will keep up with 4800, or 9600, and a Wyse 75 keeps up pretty
darn well at 19200.  BTW, the AT&T terminals I've seen don't keep up
well, but I don't have exact figures.
--
The contents of this message are totally unauthorized, and represent no person
or entity within any agency, nor any statement of policy.

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (06/14/87)

] ] ] From: levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy)
] ] ] Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
] ] ] terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow
] ] ] control).  You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
] ] ] you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).
] ] It sounds as if you're suggesting that any AT&T terminal will keep up at
] ] speeds greater than 4800 baud!  I have news for you:  not all of them do.
] ] The one I have in mind has no host flow control.
] ] Brian Katzung
] Some terminals will keep up with 4800, or 9600, and a Wyse 75 keeps up pretty
] darn well at 19200.  BTW, the AT&T terminals I've seen don't keep up
] well, but I don't have exact figures.

I am using an AT Clone, running a VT102 emulation package (Terminal Emulator
and File Transfer 2.40a), and it is having no trouble at 19200 baud, using
only XON/XOFF (no hardware flow control).  I am connected to a Sytek box by
50 feet of 4 conductor telephone wire from Radio Shack.  BTW, "vi" really flies
at 19.2KB.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (06/15/87)

In article <1017@watmum.UUCP> smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) writes:
>] ] ] Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
>] ] ] terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow

>I am using an AT Clone, running a VT102 emulation package (Terminal Emulator
>and File Transfer 2.40a), and it is having no trouble at 19200 baud, using
>only XON/XOFF (no hardware flow control).  I am connected to a Sytek box by

I have a desk accessory for my Mac which keeps up to 19.2 kbps
without using any flow control.

Reasonable vt100 compatibility too. Enough to run vi.

Problem is most small unix boxen don't quite cut the mustard.
They don't really send out a full 19.2 kbps data stream, even with cat foo.

To test my DA I built a special test program and ran it on a second Mac.
Then measured actual flow to ensure we where getting full 19.2 kbps data
stream.

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

mpl@sfsup.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <1075@laidbak.UUCP>, katzung@laidbak.UUCP writes:
> - From: levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy)
> - Some (all?) PC/clones cannot keep up with speeds > 4800 baud in the VT100
> - terminal emulator (they lose bursts of characters, even with Xon-Xoff flow
> - control).  You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
> - you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).

	[text deleted]

> It sounds as if you're suggesting that any AT&T terminal will keep up at
> speeds greater than 4800 baud!  I have news for you:  not all of them do.
> The one I have in mind has no host flow control.

	[more text deleted]

Well, as far as I know, all the AT&T *real* terminals for sale right now (ie
610) keep up with 9600 just fine (I've seen them do 19.2K without burping in
the lab, but my mahcine doesn't go that fast, so I don't know if the
"production models really go that fast).  Just stay away from the "fancy
features" terminals like the 510 (built-in phone, touch screen) if you really
need performance.

Mike Lindner
....!ihnp4!attunix!mpl

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (06/17/87)

In article <1516@sfsup.UUCP>, mpl@sfsup.UUCP writes:
> Well, as far as I know, all the AT&T *real* terminals for sale right now (ie
> 610) keep up with 9600 just fine (I've seen them do 19.2K without burping in
> the lab, but my mahcine doesn't go that fast, so I don't know if the
> "production models really go that fast).  Just stay away from the "fancy
> features" terminals like the 510 (built-in phone, touch screen) if you really
> need performance.

So I guess the AT&T 4425 is not a real terminal.  Is that why we got
all these terminals as a donation from AT&T?  (:->

> Mike Lindner
> ....!ihnp4!attunix!mpl

... This signature was put in in a way to bypass the
... bogus artificial line limit on the .signature file.
... Also, by its length it adds fodder to help avoid having
... my followups being bounced due to the restriction on
... followup articles.

kaufman@Shasta.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <1017@watmum.UUCP> smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) writes:

>I am using an AT Clone, running a VT102 emulation package (Terminal Emulator
>and File Transfer 2.40a), and it is having no trouble at 19200 baud, using
>only XON/XOFF (no hardware flow control)...

My teeth itch when I read this.  Let's get it straight.  The ability to
read individual characters at a speed of 19200 bits per second is NOT THE
SAME as the ability to asimilate characters at the rate of 1920 Characters
per second.  Got that?  If you need/use XON/XOFF protocol, you are NOT
keeping up at the speed in question.  We are talking about the ability to
process characters WITHOUT flow control at a given speed.  BTW: just
because your VAX, etc., is set to send characters at a (bit) speed of
19200 bits per second, is no reason to assume that is is sending 1920
Characters per second... you have to do some timing studies to determine
what is really happening.

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) (06/21/87)

In article <1790@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> kaufman@Shasta.stanford.edu (Marc Kaufman) writes:
>In article <1017@watmum.UUCP> smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) writes:
>
>>I am using an AT Clone, running a VT102 emulation package (Terminal Emulator
>>and File Transfer 2.40a), and it is having no trouble at 19200 baud, using
>>only XON/XOFF (no hardware flow control)...
>
>My teeth itch when I read this.  Let's get it straight.  The ability to
>read individual characters at a speed of 19200 bits per second is NOT THE
>SAME as the ability to asimilate characters at the rate of 1920 Characters
>per second.  Got that?  If you need/use XON/XOFF protocol, you are NOT
>keeping up at the speed in question.  We are talking about the ability to
>process characters WITHOUT flow control at a given speed.  BTW: just
>because your VAX, etc., is set to send characters at a (bit) speed of
>19200 bits per second, is no reason to assume that is is sending 1920
>Characters per second... you have to do some timing studies to determine
>what is really happening.

The point is, the program can and does assimilate characters at 19200 bps.  The
only time it sends XON/XOFF is when its 4000 character buffer is full.  I have
used it with EMACS with flow control ENABLED, and it works no problem, because
it never has to send an XOFF because a full screen update is less than 4000
characters.

There is a reason to assume the characters are coming in at 19200 bps because
I am using a Sytek box, which sends me the characters in 19200 bps bursts.  I
have seen other programs drop characters in the same situation.

If the AT/Terminal Emulator combination could not keep up, plain XON/XOFF
protocol wouldn't help a whole lot since several characters could still come in
after the XOFF was sent.  Some programs cannot keep up at this rate because one
character is still being processed when the next comes in.  Eventually (5 or 6
characters down the line) things get far enough behind so that an overrun error
results.

BTW: On buffering: When I press CTRL-S (or No Scroll), the program sends XOFF
to the host.  Any characters in the buffer will be read in and displayed.  This
can cause aggravation.  HOWEVER, if I press CTRL-NumLock (or FN-Pause on a
PCjr) then the program itself pauses.  Characters keep coming in from the host
and piling up in the buffer.  If the buffer becomes full, an XOFF is sent to
the host automatically.  Thus you get full scrolling control, and still no loss
of characters.  Even though the program is paused, the serial drivers keep
going (they are interrupt driven).  I can even to a Print Screen in the middle
of incoming characters; everything stops, the screen gets printed, and no
characters are ever lost.

To the above flamer (with the itchy teeth): Don't assume someone who says
something that makes no sense to you doesn't know what they are talking about.
I am quite comfortable in the picky details of serial communications.  After
all, I wrote the program in question.  Got that?

~

mpl@sfsup.UUCP (06/24/87)

In article <898@argus.UUCP>, ken@argus.UUCP writes:
> In article <1731@ttrdc.UUCP>, levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
> > control).  You want a PC, you buy a PC.  You want a terminal, well, I hope
> > you get an AT&T terminal (plug plug :-) ).
>
> Don't be too sure about that.  The AT&T 4425 has a hard time keeping up
> with speeds beyond 2400 baud for extended periods of time unless the

Mine does fine at 4800, unless a large proportion of the characters are
character inserts/deletes.  Line inserts/deletes/scrolling don't seem to
slow it down much (it manipulates pointers to lines instead of the lines
themselves).  Only time I've seen it go slow is with the printer port on
or when playing around with viewports (windows).

mikel@flmis06.ATT.COM (Mikel Manitius) (06/25/87)

>> Well, as far as I know, all the AT&T *real* terminals for sale right now (ie
>> 610) keep up with 9600 just fine (I've seen them do 19.2K without burping in
>> the lab, but my mahcine doesn't go that fast, so I don't know if the
>> "production models really go that fast).  Just stay away from the "fancy
>> features" terminals like the 510 (built-in phone, touch screen) if you really
>> need performance.
>
> So I guess the AT&T 4425 is not a real terminal.  Is that why we got
> all these terminals as a donation from AT&T?  (:->

Hmm. I used to have a 4425 connected to the serial port on my 3B1,
and I would have it run at 19.2kb. It would handle the output very
well, and it was noticably faster than 9.6kb. However it still
wasn't as nice as the throughput on the 3B1's monitor. Now I use
it [3B1 monitor] over StarLan to login to all of our other machines,
and it is really nice and fast.

Of course I use my "rlogin" program (which I posted an article
about a few months ago), rather than cu. Cu does 1 byte I/O,
which makes it very slow, especially over StarLan.
--
				Mikel Manitius @ AT&T Network Operations
				mikel@codas.att.com.uucp | attmail!mikel

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (06/30/87)

In article <13@flmis06.ATT.COM>, mikel@flmis06.ATT.COM (Mikel Manitius) writes:
[edited discussion on using terminals at 9600 baud *without* flow control]
> Hmm. I used to have a 4425 connected to the serial port on my 3B1,
> and I would have it run at 19.2kb. It would handle the output very
> well, and it was noticably faster than 9.6kb.
> 				Mikel Manitius @ AT&T Network Operations

Try turning the flow control off, and then doing a cat of a large file
to the screen and tell me what happens after about 3 screens go by.
The 4425 needs flow control enabled to keep up with 9600 baud for
more than a screen of data.