[comp.sources.d] A thought about USENET.

jte@psuvax1.UUCP (06/12/87)

One thing has bothered me about this whole business about non-sources
in net.sources groups.  The net is supposted to be a democratic type
of orginization (or so I am lead to believe), so if 98% of the posters
to net.sources don't post sources but post something elese then let
them post what they want.  I would rather threat through 10 non sources
articles to get to one article then not have any net.sources newsgroup
at all...  The moderated source groups have one problem with the delay
factor.  There is just too much work (at least I think) for one person
to do without pay on top of another job.  I feel that a unmoderated
sources group should be recreated because of overall net opinion.

(Everyone who wanted a unmoderated souces group could post a message
to comp.sources.d, that would get someone to listen...)

Just kidding about that though, I don't think it will come to that.
I think that the net has been well run up to this point and that it
will continue to operate under the hands of the current operators.

Disclaimer: I do not represent the Pennsylvania State University
	    in any shape, matter or form (including opinions)
	    execpt that I think we have a great football team.

--Jon Eckhardt jte@psuvax1.psu.edu - ARPA
               <allegra,ihnp4,atcgva,burdvax,purdue>!psuvax1!jte
               jte@psuvax1  - BITNET
PSU #1   Phone: 814-237-1901     Work: (leave message) 814-865-9505  PSU #1

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (06/15/87)

It has been suggested that we just ignore the non-source postings to
source groups.  I think we are all used to skipping articles that we
don't find interesting so this is a suggestion I could live with, except
for one thing.

My site, as well as many others, save the source groups.  Currently I
have to regularly go through the archive directory and delete the
extraneous postings.  I want to keep part 5 of your new editor but I
definitely DON'T want to keep somebody's request for a reposting of part
5.

Most of the people who believe they should be allowed to post discussion
and requests in the source groups seem to ignore the extra workload they
create for archive maintainers.  Before someone comments that this is
the archiver's problem not theirs, I am sure that many people are glad
to have archiving sites around when they suddenly find a need for that
software they saw posted last month.

I would like to introduce an idea that might satisfy both sides.  I
suggest that we introduce an "Archive: " header.  We then modify the
expire process so that it can expire selectively based on this keyword.
An addition to postnews would ask the poster if their article should be
marked as containing source (or announcement of source availability)
that should be permanently archived, and add the "Archive: " header.
This would allow discussions and requests to run in parallel with source
postings and would keep me happy.

I and see two problems with this:  First is that a poster with old
software might post without the "Archive: " header.  As posting a source
is generally done by a more knowledgable user they can, if necessary,
manually add the header.  If source does go out without the header then
it is possible to contact the poster and have him repost it with the
correct header.  In this case you are dealing with a sympathetic user
and cooperation should be better.

The second potential problem is "Archive: " headers on non-source
postings.  The key point here is that this would require a deliberate
abuse by someone with no justification of ignorance or "free speech".
Most of the non-source posting are thru ignorance and are therefor fixed
by this solution.  The others are by people who are aware of the
restriction to sources only but stand on there right to "free speech".
If some user thinks that his opinions are not only worthy of world wide
distribution in the sources group, but also should be permanently
archived using someone else's disk space then I think we have a good
case for restricting his access to the net.

I think the main point is to require the poster to explicitly mark the
posting as source rather then infer it from the news group.

					Jerry Aguirre
--
My favorite is the poster who wrote an article apologizing for his
non-source posting and how he knew better now and would never do it

chuq@plaid.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <1408@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry F Aguirre) writes:
>It has been suggested that we just ignore the non-source postings to
>source groups.  I think we are all used to skipping articles that we
>don't find interesting so this is a suggestion I could live with, except
>for one thing.
>
>My site, as well as many others, save the source groups.  Currently I
>have to regularly go through the archive directory and delete the
>extraneous postings.  I want to keep part 5 of your new editor but I
>definitely DON'T want to keep somebody's request for a reposting of part 5.

It's funny, but long, long ago, before moderated groups and high volumes, I
archived source groups to tape.  I did this for over two years, as a matter
of fact, taking the time to zap all the garbage messages and the like
(believe it or not, garbage in sources groups isn't a new phenomenon --
people have always been idiotic and stubborn about posting to the wrong
groups).  I mean, you never know when you'll want a copy of ispell version
0.4 or top version 3.1.

I finally sat down and looked at (1) the time I was spending maintaining a
source archive and (2) the number of times I actually USED the archive.  I
found (and I'll bet that this is a common occurance) that if I didn't do
something with it when it was posted (either install it or store it until I
had time) I never used it.  In all that time, with (at one time) 25+
megabytes of net.sources archive, I went back to the archive exactly once.

So I did the only logical thing -- I turned off archiving.  Eventually I
reused the tape, and to date I've never missed anything I once thought was
so important.  Putting together archives is a Good Thing.  But, frankly, how
often do you find you need something off of it?  How many gigabytes of disk
and tape are being taken up by archives of all of this stuff that nobody
needs and that most archivers probably have forgotten they have?

It's my belief that the sources groups are great for posting source, but
I'm not at all sure that keeping those sources around is really worth it.
In fact, it is probably MUCH cheaper on a dollar basis to simply dump
everything to tape rather than spend a couple of man-hours cleaning up the
archive -- people, especially unix people, are relatively expensive pieces
of equiptment; tape is cheap.

I mean, all of this is well and good, but is it worth all the time we're
wasting arguing about it? Or are we arguing because we like to argue?

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

Now, where did my ex-wife put my Fairy Dust?

ken@rochester.UUCP (06/16/87)

Well, instead of having a moderator, why not someone volunteer to watch
news go by and post the article id's of the sources postings now and
then and we could use those id's to zap the non-source postings?

	Ken

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (06/16/87)

In article <1408@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry F Aguirre) writes:
>It has been suggested that we just ignore the non-source postings to
>source groups.  I think we are all used to skipping articles that we
>don't find interesting so this is a suggestion I could live with, except
>for one thing.

>I would like to introduce an idea that might satisfy both sides.  I
>suggest that we introduce an "Archive: " header.  We then modify the
>expire process so that it can expire selectively based on this keyword.

I have been meaning to make a suggestion along these lines but for somewhat
different reasons.

If this line could contain additional information such as the suggested file
name to store the posting then the expiration process could do a much more
intelligent job of saving the information. For example:

	Archive:	sources/games/warp7.2 ( warp7 part 2 of 7 )
	Archive:	sources/unix/smail2.3.4 ( smail 2.3 part 4 of 5 )

This would make an archivers life SO much easier. No more screwing around
trying to figure out what the names of the 57 files in your save directory
are, so you can rename them.

In point of fact I have been meaning to setup up an archive service for our
local area, and indeed have the server software up and running. However I
find it takes TOO much time to keep the database current. I just don't have
the time. So I don't offer this service.

Perhaps postnews could be modified to ask:

	Is this a source posting? (y/n)

If the answer is yes:

	What is the archive name of this posting?

If none was given then it would not put the Archive: header in. This
presents two different questions which potential abusers would have to
answer before their message would be archived.

Also, because we now have these messages saved AND NAMED, if there is abuse
it will be relatively easy to delete the files in question. They should be
quite easy to find (esp. as there will likely be massive flaming in
comp.sources.d telling everyone to delete the appropriate file).

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (06/17/87)

In article <841@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
<
[...]

I *like* the idea (this would also work well with the map distributions)
however someone has to maintain a list of filenames. Otherwise, sooner
or later (probably sooner), someone will inadvertently (or otherwise)
use a duplicate name, zapping your old source in the process.

THEREFORE, I would like to suggest that (if this is implemented) rnews
be made to check the active file for the moderation status of the news-
group. If, and only if, it's moderated should the Archive: header be
used.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (06/17/87)

In article <1443@ncc.UUCP> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>In article <841@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
><
>< If this line could contain additional information such as the suggested file
>< name to store the posting then the expiration process could do a much more
>< intelligent job of saving the information. For example:
><
>< 	Archive:	sources/games/warp7.2 ( warp7 part 2 of 7 )
>< 	Archive:	sources/unix/smail2.3.4 ( smail 2.3 part 4 of 5 )
><

>I *like* the idea (this would also work well with the map distributions)
>however someone has to maintain a list of filenames. Otherwise, sooner

I think that moderated groups would have no problem with this. For the most
part the moderators will be able to provide unique names without any
problem.

Unmoderated groups MIGHT have a problem. Personally I don't think it would
be a big one. At least not for a while.

>or later (probably sooner), someone will inadvertently (or otherwise)
>use a duplicate name, zapping your old source in the process.

Actually it's not quite as bad as this. First the default save can be made
to be an append as opposed to creating a new file.

Or if the name was already in use a qualifier could be added. For
example:

	source/games/warp7.2.a

Or you could use a date oriented scheme:

	Archive: warp7.2 (warp 7, part 2 of 7)

could be archived in:

	archive/870616/warp7.2

In this case all files being archived are put into a directory that is
unique for a specific day (or week, or month). The files for a specific
posting will now be spread over several directories, but that's far less of
a hassle to deal with than what we have now.

>THEREFORE, I would like to suggest that (if this is implemented) rnews
>be made to check the active file for the moderation status of the news-
>group. If, and only if, it's moderated should the Archive: header be
>used.

This idea fits very nicely into the self moderation scheme. The original
message in this series dealt with the problem of self moderation by asking a
specific question "Is this a source posting?" and then adding the Archive:
header to signal expire to deal with the article in a special fashion.

By forcing people to provide additional information if they want to have
their posting archived we put a slight road block in their way. Not much
of one but most people are lazy and for the most part that and peer pressure
(do you really want several dozen nasty messages in you mailbox if you
abuse this option) will keep people from providing the information unless it
is required.

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

rob@array.UUCP (Rob Marchand) (06/26/87)

In article <843@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <1443@ncc.UUCP> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>>In article <841@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>><
>>< If this line could contain additional information such as the suggested file
>>< name to store the posting then the expiration process could do a much more
>>< intelligent job of saving the information. For example:
>><
>>< 	Archive:	sources/games/warp7.2 ( warp7 part 2 of 7 )
>>< 	Archive:	sources/unix/smail2.3.4 ( smail 2.3 part 4 of 5 )
>><
>
>This idea fits very nicely into the self moderation scheme. The original
>message in this series dealt with the problem of self moderation by asking a
>specific question "Is this a source posting?" and then adding the Archive:
>header to signal expire to deal with the article in a special fashion.

I like the idea of setting up some automatic archiving of sources.
Any thoughts on setting up a sys file entry to batch source articles?
(Of course, then you end up with two copies until expire trashes the
article) Then have a cron job that processes them once a day,
or whatever.  If the moderator then set out to have the Subject:
line start with, say, a standard format, e.g.
		    ispell01.shar   (shar file  (no kidding :-)
		    ispell01.pat    (patch file)
(where the 01 was the section number of the distribution)
as the first 'word', it should be fairly simple to set up a shell
script to archive source files based on the Subject: line.  It
would leave the final decision as to how the source archive was
structured up to the user.  Of course, this would then require
that a moderator, or some such, set up the Subject: line correctly,
or that Pnews, or Postnews, or whatever could generate it via
some simple procedure.  Oh well, more random wanderings for your
amusement....  :-)
--
Rob Marchand                   UUCP: {watmath,mnetor}!utzoo!dciem!array!rob
Array Systems Computing        ARPA: rob%array@seismo.css.gov

ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) (07/01/87)

In article <507@array.UUCP> rob@array.UUCP (Rob Marchand) writes:
>In article <841@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>< If this line could contain additional information such as the suggested
>< file name to store the posting then the expiration process could do a much
>< more intelligent job of saving the information. For example:
><
>< 	Archive:	sources/games/warp7.2 ( warp7 part 2 of 7 )
>< 	Archive:	sources/unix/smail2.3.4 ( smail 2.3 part 4 of 5 )
>
>[edited]...If the moderator then set out to have the Subject:
>line start with, say, a standard format, e.g.
>		    ispell01.shar   (shar file  (no kidding :-)
>		    ispell01.pat    (patch file)

The problem with either of these methods is that some systems have file
name size limits of 8 characters, some of 14, some of 32, and some have
no limits.  There would always be some poor person whose archiving gets
stomped on because some poster didn't make sure his file names were  no
more than 8/14/etc... characters long.  Leave it up to the moderator to
make sure that the file names are of an acceptable length and the delay
in posting will really get out of hand.

		Nice idea, but... Back to the terminal!
--
						| Edwin Wiles
	...!seismo!sundc!netxcom!ewiles		| Net Express, Inc.
	"Who?... Me?... What opinions?!?"	| 1953 Gallows Rd. Suite 300
   Schedule: (n.) An ever changing nightmare.	| Vienna, VA 22180

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/04/87)

As quoted from <240@netxcom.UUCP> by ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles):
+---------------
| In article <507@array.UUCP> rob@array.UUCP (Rob Marchand) writes:
| >In article <841@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
| >< If this line could contain additional information such as the suggested
| >< file name to store the posting then the expiration process could do a much
| >< more intelligent job of saving the information. For example:
| >[edited]...If the moderator then set out to have the Subject:
| >line start with, say, a standard format, e.g.
| The problem with either of these methods is that some systems have file
| name size limits of 8 characters, some of 14, some of 32, and some have
| no limits.  There would always be some poor person whose archiving gets
| stomped on because some poster didn't make sure his file names were  no
| more than 8/14/etc... characters long.  Leave it up to the moderator to
| make sure that the file names are of an acceptable length and the delay
| in posting will really get out of hand.
+---------------

My submissions to comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc contain a new
header line:

Archive: newsgroup/mmdd/seq

example:  "Archive: comp.sources.misc/8707/4"

If you don't have BSD filenames, just change the dots to slashes and in
general it'll work fine (barring MS-DOS, Eunice, and other brain-dead
operating systems).

However, don't depend on my archiving them -- ncoast is cramped for space
(cbosgd just made us the N.E. Ohio news feed -- most of last night's load
ended up on the floor, and I ended up sacrificing archival space to make room
in the spool filesystem for news).

++Brandon
--
       ---- Moderator for comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc ----
Brandon S. Allbery	<BACKBONE>!cbosgd!hal!ncoast!allbery ('til Aug. 1)

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (Bruce G Barnett) (07/06/87)

In article <2774@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>My submissions to comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc contain a new
>header line:
>
>Archive: newsgroup/mmdd/seq
>
>example:  "Archive: comp.sources.misc/8707/4"
>++Brandon

along the same lines:

I have another method - which is a variation of the savenews program
distributed with News 2.11 (original by Chuq Von Rospach). It will take any
article and store it under
	/savenews/newsgroup/yy-mm/article-id

It also creates a log file, one for each newsgroup.
Example: /savenews/LOGS/comp.sources.misc
	comp.sources.misc/87-04/2432.ncoast	Welcome to comp.sources.misc
	comp.sources.misc/87-05/2486.ncoast	Adventure Shell

Chuq's original used a hashing scheme instead of the yy-mm value.
Using the yy-mm scheme makes it easier to archive to tape the older
stuff. Also - part n of m postings usually end up in the same
directory. Thirdly, I can sort the log file somewhat chronologically.
I also compress older directories.

I have made some other minor changes that handle some of the strange
Message-ID's of TOPS and VMS machines, in addition to Rev C news
articles.

It can archive any article, but it looks like it should be changed to
make use of Brandon's header.

If you like - I can send you the patches.

p.s. Thank you, Brandon and Chuq.

--
Bruce G. Barnett  (barnett@ge-crd.ARPA) (barnett@steinmetz.UUCP)

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (07/09/87)

As quoted from <1940@vdsvax.steinmetz.UUCP> by barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (Bruce G Barnett):
+---------------
| >Archive: newsgroup/mmdd/seq
| >example:  "Archive: comp.sources.misc/8707/4"

Mea culpa.  It's yymm, not mmdd.  (At least one replier did notice that "87"
isn't a valid month!)  Also, it's "X-Archive:" to avoid future RFC822
extensions.

These headers of mine are added automatically by my "authorize" script, which
I've sent to the moderators' list.  (It also does archiving, but ncoast is
too limited in space to retain them.)
--
[Copyright 1987 Brandon S. Allbery, all rights reserved] \ ncoast 216 781 6201
[Redistributable only if redistribution is subsequently permitted.] \ 2400 bd.