[comp.sources.d] Do pc users misunderstand unix/vms/cms/etc. users???

mjr@osiris.UUCP (Marcus Ranum) (07/13/87)

	Can we take the religious debate, and all the posturing and
posing someplace else ? Haven't enough hours been wasted on this
kind of immature "my OS is better than yours" ?

--mjr();
--
If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical,
go crude. I'm a very technical boy. So I get as crude as possible. These

jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond) (07/13/87)

In article <1304@osiris.UUCP>, mjr@osiris.UUCP (Marcus Ranum) writes:

> 	Can we take the religious debate, and all the posturing and
> posing someplace else ? Haven't enough hours been wasted on this
> kind of immature "my OS is better than yours" ?

I AGREE!!!  Thank you.

What has been stated above is exactly the point I was trying to make.

I don't care wether you use pc-dos/ms-dos,unix,vms,cms,mvs,tops20,whatever.
It just doesn't matter. Sure, I prefer unix.  But I also us pc-dos, and
vms, and cms.  Big deal.  I don't claim that any of these are "BAD", I
just prefer unix.  The man that emailed me obviously likes ms-dos. Again,
big deal.  The net as a whole doesn't care about YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCES.

What does matter is the fact that those who decide on standards should
keep all of these people in mind, especially if they are standards for the
distribution of software over the net.  If the standards are not well thought
out, they are likely to be of little use.

This is the end of this discussion.  I will not answer any mail received
on this subject.  Nor will I followup any more articles on it.  I urge
the rest of you to do the same.

PLEASE!! No more mail/postings on this subject.  It has been beaten to
death!!!

PLEASE!! If you post an article, or send mail, that makes claims about
performance/usefulness/etc., make sure that you are absolutely correct.
No one wants to see false claims about performance,etc. And lets avoid
such wonderful comments as this:

| > You UNIX types are all alike. 20 years of tradition unmarred by
| > progress. I think you're just jealous because now the PC is the
| > center of attention instead of your slow, character-stream
| > dinosaurs.

Comments like this really do belong in /dev/null.

				End of discussion.

						Spidey!!

--
We're on an express elevator to hell -- GOING DOWN!!!   /\ Josh /\   THRILL
                                                       //\\ .. //\\  SEEKERS