[comp.sources.d] unix arc that UnSquashes

ddl@husc6.UUCP (Dan Lanciani) (07/16/87)

	I have posted a version of arc that can deal with squashed
archives to alt.sources.  This a quick hack with minimal testing; a
better version will follow as I have time.

					Dan Lanciani
					ddl@harvard.*

tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (07/16/87)

ALT.SOURCES???????????????????

where?
--
                         Terry Sterkel
        {clyde|harvard|cbosgd|allegra|ulysses|ihnp4}!whuts!tes

regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (07/19/87)

In article <2419@whuts.UUCP> tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:

>ALT.SOURCES???????????????????
>
>where?
>--
>                         Terry Sterkel
>        {clyde|harvard|cbosgd|allegra|ulysses|ihnp4}!whuts!tes
>              [opinions are obviously only my own]

it arrived here in comp.sources.misc.  unfortunately, the second
file was truncated somewhere along the line and we didn't get a
complete copy.

are we the only ones who were short-changed?!  :-)

--
			    michael regoli
		   indiana university, bloomington

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry Virden) (07/19/87)

I would like to request that someone on the alternate groups backbone
consider posting a monthly note (or answers to common questions AND a
monthly note) letting us know where we can contact to find a site downloading
the alt groups, what they are about, etc.  Basically somewhere we can see
it each month, like the other useful info articles that are kept in a
place like new.announcements.newusers or where ever.  Personally, the place
_I_ would like to see it would be in news.admin or news.misc; someplace
where I could forward to my local sys admin to pester until we start
getting this info.  My company would probably get these if we knew a) how
and b) some idea of committements needed, etc.

MORE INFO PLEASE!
Thank you for your support.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

tfra@ur-tut.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (07/20/87)

In <282@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, Michael Regoli writes:
> It (arc that UnSquashes) arrived here in comp.sources.misc.
> unfortunately, the second file was truncated somewhere along the line and
> we didn't get a complete copy.

Both files were truncated when they got to our site.

Is there another path that I might be able to reach the moderator of
comp.sources.misc/comp.binaries.ibm.pc?  I have sent him several messages
and they always seem to be returned.  Must be some limit on the number of
pathnames in a path, I guess :-).
--

  Tom Frauenhofer			...!seismo!rochester!ur-tut!tfra
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

holtz@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Fred Holtz) (07/20/87)

In article <2554@ur-tut.UUCP> tfra@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
>In <282@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, Michael Regoli writes:
>> It (arc that UnSquashes) arrived here in comp.sources.misc.
>> unfortunately, the second file was truncated somewhere along the line and
>> we didn't get a complete copy.
>
>Both files were truncated when they got to our site.

I have what I believe is a good copy of the second file obtained from
alt.sources.  The first part never appeared on alt.sources here and
the versions posted to this group were both truncated.  If someone has
a good copy of the first part,  I would greatly appreciate seeing it!
(The second part is about 2700 lines,  the first part is >>390)
I will be willing to mail the second part to the first few requests,
and to anyone with part one!

Fred Holtz
holtz@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (07/23/87)

In article <2545@husc6.UUCP>, ddl@husc6.UUCP (Dan Lanciani) writes:

> 	I have posted a version of arc that can deal with squashed
> archives to alt.sources.  This a quick hack with minimal testing; a
> better version will follow as I have time.
>
> 					Dan Lanciani
> 					ddl@harvard.*

<FLAME ON>

Since there are some hubs (namely cbosgd) that DO NOT pass along the 'alt'
network, shouldn't these be posted to a net that EVERYONE can receive?

Come on, folks!  There are certain 'standard' nets that ALL can receive, and
then there are these few (alt, net.sources) that seem to have a life of their
own, but are snuffed out at certain hubs!  I feel that if you're going to
post something of interest, let's post it to a group that ALL can receive!

<FLAME OFF>

Phil Ritzenthaler			 |USnail:University Computer Services
                                         |       241 Math-Science Bldg.
                                         |       Bowling Green State University
UUCP :.!cbosgd!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!ritzenth|       Bowling Green, OH   43403-0125
CSNET: ritzenth@research1.bgsu.edu       |       Phone: (419) 372-2102

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (07/25/87)

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) wrote:
-><FLAME ON>
->
->Since there are some hubs (namely cbosgd) that DO NOT pass along the 'alt'
->network, shouldn't these be posted to a net that EVERYONE can receive?
->
->Come on, folks!  There are certain 'standard' nets that ALL can receive, and
->then there are these few (alt, net.sources) that seem to have a life of their
->own, but are snuffed out at certain hubs!  I feel that if you're going to
->post something of interest, let's post it to a group that ALL can receive!

But Phil, *ANYONE* can get the alt.all groups.  All it requires is
enough initiative on the part of your usenet administrator to arrange
for a feed.  Enough sites get alt.all that this shouldn't be too
difficult.  Every host that I have usenet access on has them.
Kwitcherbellyachin!

# Henry Mensch / <henry@garp.mit.edu> / E40-379 MIT, Cambridge, MA
#      {ames,cca,rochester,harvard,mit-eddie}!garp!henry