[comp.sources.d] Allbery's Second Farewell.

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) (08/09/87)

In article <4093@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
> I should point out that all this anti-Allbery verbiage,

I have only attacked error.  You may, of course, identify with
whatever you choose.

> I vote that this net miscarriage be redirected to /dev/null:  with my feet.
> As of now, my global KILL file will contain a command to junk all articles
> by Mr. Webber.  I have more important things to do than read articles wherein
> Mr. Webber twists and turns in order to insult me.  It'll be interesting to
> see how long it'll take for Mr. Webber to start mailing his insults at me
> instead to make sure I can see them.

I quite assure you I won't bother sending you mail.  Past history has
shown that you ignore the content of the postings even when you
``reply'' to them.  However, for the benefit of others, I will
continue to correct those errors that I see posted to the net and that
I happen to feel like correcting.

Enjoy.

--------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

alvitar@madhat.UUCP (Phil Harbison) (08/10/87)

In article <320@brandx.rutgers.edu>, webber@brandx.rutgers.edu writes:
> I quite assure you I won't bother sending you mail.  Past history has
> shown that you ignore the content of the postings even when you
> ``reply'' to them.

Past  history  has  shown that Brandon answers my mail both promptly and
courteously.   Considering  the  content  of  your  messages,  it  is no
surprise that you don't receive the same treatment.

> ... However, for the benefit of others, I will continue to correct
> those errors that I see posted to the net and that I happen to feel
> like correcting.

Please spare us the agony of any future "corrections".

In <13649@topaz.rutgers.edu>, webber@topaz.rutgers.edu writes:
> > The moderated comp.sources.misc replaced the unmoderated net.sources
> > in May 1987.  This was done by the Usenet backbone in response to the
> > observed fact that net.sources was close to 90% NON-sources.  ...
>
> Only if you think 70% is close to 90%.  Incidently, such statistics
> are actually rather messy since the postings on net.sources were quite
> episodic (I used the last 6 months to get my stats).

Brandon may have exaggerated the percentage, but it is true that the old
net.sources was mostly non-source.  Of the last 556 articles received at
madhat,  only  248  (45%)  were source, so 55% of the articles were non-
source.   This covers a period of 5 months, so it should average out any
"episodes".   I archive most source groups at madhat and I usually glean
the  articles in groups of 100.  It was not unusual to throw away 70 out
of 100 articles in net.sources.

> ... clearly the old set-up was producing more sources than the new.

Brandon  is  sending  out plenty of source; however, quantity is not the
main  benefit of a moderated source group.  The main benefit is that the
non-source articles now go to another group, so I can choose not to read
them  or pay to get them.  I can archive everything in comp.sources.misc
(without gleaning) because it is almost 100% source.

In <13647@topaz.rutgers.edu>, webber@topaz.rutgers.edu writes:
> DoD does not `own' any `name' (I bet they haven't even applied for a
> trademark).  Any way, I see that you couldn't find an RFC or any other
> `official' document to back up your position, so you simply decided to

ADA  is a trademark of DoD, so they own at least one name.  As for RFC's
that  make  reference  to Internet, how about this quote for the opening
page of RFC940:

   This RFC discusses standardizing the protocol used in subnetted
   environments in the ARPA-Internet.  Distribution of this memo is
   unlimited.

You  will  find similar language on the opening pages of RFC841, RFC917,
RFC937,  RFC948,  RFC950, RFC956, RFC957, and RFC958, to name a few.  It
is  clear from the use of the term "Internet" throughout these documents
that  the  authors  are  referring to DOD-sponsored networks running the
Internet  protocol  suite.   The following quotes are taken from RFC969,
File Transfer Protocol.

   1.  INTRODUCTION
   This paper assumes knowledge of the Transmission Control Protocol
   (TCP) [2] and the Telnet Protocol [3].  These documents are contained
   in the ARPA-Internet protocol handbook [1].