[comp.sources.d] comp.sources.misc Administrivia: VMS binary problem solved

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (08/01/87)

Well, the problem is solved.  One of the suggestions I received was to have
thr original author send the program to DECUS; since they have a wider VMS
distribution than Usenet does, that solved it.

Most commonly asked question:  "Why didn't he post sources?"

He did.  Unfortunately, they were in Ada; not many Ada compilers out there for
VMS.  So he posted a binary of the program for those lacking Ada compilers.
This is nothing different from what goes on in comp.binaries.ibm.pc; I suspect
that the fact that most UN*Xes come with C compilers is the only reason we can
get away with posting source.
--
 Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!cwruecmp!hal}!ncoast!allbery

rick@pcrat.UUCP (rick) (08/03/87)

In article <3707@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> This is nothing different from what goes on in comp.binaries.ibm.pc; I suspect
> that the fact that most UN*Xes come with C compilers is the only reason we can
> get away with posting source.

Nope, most corporations wouldn't even consider paying for USENET, except for
the fact that the sources distributions are beneficial to their bottom
line in some direct or indirect way.
--
	Rick Richardson, President, PC Research, Inc.
(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR   (201) 834-1378 (voice, days)

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (08/04/87)

In article <3707@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> Most commonly asked question:  "Why didn't he post sources?"
> He did.  Unfortunately, they were in Ada; not many Ada compilers out there for
> VMS.  So he posted a binary of the program for those lacking Ada compilers.

Brandon, there are at least 8 Ada compilers for VMS.
I don't know how many people who run VMS actually have an Ada compiler,
but it isn't because they aren't out there.

Refusing to post source in Ada because there aren't very many compilers is
bogus. There aren't very many Modula-2 compilers around either, but that
hasn't stopped people from posting Modula-2 code.

If you have the source available, you might consider submitting it to the
SIMTEL20 Ada Archive.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing it posted to comp.sources.misc. Porting
Ada for VMS to a Unix Ada compiler isn't much more horrible than converting
a SysV program that uses termio heavily to BSD.

Thanks,

  Dave Mack  (from Mack's Bedroom :<)
  McDonnell Douglas-Inco, Inc. 		DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed
  8201 Greensboro Drive                 are my own and in no way reflect the
  McLean, VA 22102			views of McDonnell Douglas or its
  (703)883-3911				subsidiaries.
  ...!seismo!sundc!hadron!inco!mack
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

eric@sarin.UUCP (08/11/87)

In article <344@inco.UUCP>, mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
> In article <3707@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> > Most commonly asked question:  "Why didn't he post sources?"
> > He did.  Unfortunately, they were in Ada; not many Ada compilers out there for
> > VMS.  So he posted a binary of the program for those lacking Ada compilers.
>
> Brandon, there are at least 8 Ada compilers for VMS.
> I don't know how many people who run VMS actually have an Ada compiler,
> but it isn't because they aren't out there.
>
> Refusing to post source in Ada because there aren't very many compilers is
> bogus. There aren't very many Modula-2 compilers around either, but that
> hasn't stopped people from posting Modula-2 code.
>
> If you have the source available, you might consider submitting it to the
> SIMTEL20 Ada Archive.

Let me say amen to that. But more important, the majority of companies that
subscribe to usenet *and* who do business with the government have
at least one Ada compiler on their system.  What a nice contribution
to reusable code the ada sources would have made. Or perhaps they
may not have been such a nice contribution. We'll never know because
we never saw it.  That's sad.

Brandon, you may or may not like ada. That's your perogitive.
You may not like it because you don't understand it. You may not
have one feeling about it one way or another. Thats ok too. Because
you may not have the familiarity with the language or even have the
need too, you are simply reflecting that by the above statements.

If the sources are available would you be willing to post
the sources to comp.lang.ada, or to mail them to me and
I'll post them on my unaxcess bbs which has a conference dedicated to
ada, or like the above commentator said,would you send them to SIMTEL20
care of Rick Conn. He maintains over 40 mbytes of Ada archives. There
are now Ada compilers for the PC that have been validated and
are cheap (relatively speaking). Unless the code is so heavily hardware
dependent, it should be easy porting to another validated ada compiler.
A lot easier than porting SYSV to Berkeley.

The point is that as moderator, you walk a narrow line. Its not easy taking
into account the needs of the general community. Especially when the needs
of that community change so frequently. Please hear from the two

Thanks,

Eric Beser
Westinghouse DEC
{mimsy}!aplcen!cp1!sarin!eric
EBESER@ADA20

karl@grebyn.UUCP (08/14/87)

> If the sources are available would you be willing to post
> the sources to comp.lang.ada, ...

> Eric Beser
> Westinghouse DEC
> {mimsy}!aplcen!cp1!sarin!eric
> EBESER@ADA20

PLEASE EVERYBODY NO!  PLEASE DON'T GO POSTING Ada SOURCES TO COMP.LANG.ADA.

First of all, that will expand in the bidirectionally gatewayed mailing list
on the Arpanet, INFO-ADA.  That's not a group for mailing sources around.

Find some other relevant SOURCE group please.

Failing that, mail them to me (or Eric), and we will get them put in the Ada
Software Repository.

-- Karl --
DDN:	nyberg@ada20.isi.edu
INET:   karl@grebyn.com - AKA - karl%grebyn.com@seismo.css.gov
uucp:   {decuac, seismo}!grebyn!karl

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (08/20/87)

As quoted from <34@sarin.UUCP> by eric@sarin.UUCP (Eric Beser sys admin):
+---------------
| In article <344@inco.UUCP>, mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
| > In article <3707@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
| > > Most commonly asked question:  "Why didn't he post sources?"
| > > He did.  Unfortunately, they were in Ada; not many Ada compilers out there for
| > > VMS.  So he posted a binary of the program for those lacking Ada compilers.
| >
| > Refusing to post source in Ada because there aren't very many compilers is
| > bogus. There aren't very many Modula-2 compilers around either, but that
| > hasn't stopped people from posting Modula-2 code.
+---------------

WHOA!!!  I *did* send out the Ada code.  The author felt (and I concur) that
there weren't enough Ada compilers out there to make the source enough, so
he sent me the binary as well.  (The Ada code was fairly early, it went out
in early June, before I started logging sources and adding archive headers.)
--
 Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery
ARPA: necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu  Fido: 157/502  MCI: BALLBERY
   <<ncoast Public Access UNIX: +1 216 781 6201 24hrs. 300/1200/2400 baud>>
** Site "cwruecmp" is changing its name to "mandrill".  Please re-address **
*** all mail to ncoast to pass through "mandrill" instead of "cwruecmp". ***