[comp.sources.d] TCSH with 4.3 CSH

sandro@itsgw.RPI.EDU (Sandro Wallach) (08/12/87)

I just pulled the latest tcsh out of comp.sources.unix and am very
impressed.  However, it seems to only work with 4.2 c-shells, and I
can't even find a copy of one!  All our systems are either 4.3 or SUNOS
3.3, which seems to have the 4.3 csh.

Now it doesn't look like the differences are that great, and
considering the payoff, I'll probably try to make tcsh work with what
we've got.

Still, I'm no expert at this stuff.  Does anyone else plan to do this?
Has anyone DONE this already?

(Or maybe I should just try to find an old tape with 4.2 csh and use
that.   With tcsh it would beat 4.3 any day.   Where did I put those
tapes, then?....)

(I especially like the help-file kludge!  Most of the other features
I can get from KSH, though not always on the right machines.)

--
	sandro@itsgw.rpi.edu,			* Sandro *
		sandro@rpitsmts.bitnet,

chris@nrcvax.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) (08/19/87)

sandro@itsgw.rpi.edu (Sandro Wallach) says:

>Now it doesn't look like the differences are that great, and
>considering the payoff, I'll probably try to make tcsh work with what
>we've got. [4.3 BSD csh].
>
>Still, I'm no expert at this stuff.  Does anyone else plan to do this?
>Has anyone DONE this already?

Well, I just did it.  Now, do I post the diffs to 4.3 csh or the diffs to
the diffs just posted in comp.sources.unix?

--
	Chris Grevstad
	hplabs!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

Refund?  REFUND!? ..... REFUND!?!?!

murthy@doc.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) (08/21/87)

In article <1127@nrcvax.UUCP> chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) writes:

>Well, I just did it.  Now, do I post the diffs to 4.3 csh or the diffs to
>the diffs just posted in comp.sources.unix?

Please Please Please post the diffs to the 4.3 csh.  I would like a copy,
also.  By the way, thank you for doing the grungy job.

	--chet--
In Real Life:		Chet Murthy
ARPA:			murthy@svax.cs.cornell.edu
SnailMail:		Chet Murthy