[comp.sources.d] curses and termcap for VMS, MSDOS, etc.

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/01/87)

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) wrote:
> I have a UNIX compatible termcap library for VMS. I someone is interested,
> I can send (or post) it.

Rather than having seventeen different curses and termcap libraries
for seventeen different systems, is there somebody willing to maintain
a single source that works on multiple systems?  The *original* curses
by Ken Arnold is freely available (it's copyright by Berkeley, but any use
is allowed, and it contains no AT&T code).  It's on the new Sun User Group
tape, and I've encouraged him to submit it to comp.sources.unix.

As was shown in the recent "curses for MSDOS" posting, the temptation
is strong to add a bunch of features, which then makes programs that
use that version incompatible with all the other versions.  Having
a single source would not only fix that, but would also mean that
bug fixes and features only have to be done once to take effect on
all systems.  Also, having a copy of the merged version would suffice
for whatever system you happen to have or move to.

By the way, I'm not volunteering -- I'm already doing this job for a
few other programs (PD tar, uuslave, and trying on uudecode).
--
{dasys1,ncoast,well,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu	     gnu@postgres.berkeley.edu
My name's in the header where it belongs.

imtsft@imt3b2.UUCP (09/01/87)

Sounds like a good idea. I'll volunteer to maintain the 'multi-machine'
versions if someone will forward or post the basic starting versions.

name	: IMT (Group Administrator)
email	: ...(peregrine|ccicpg)!imt3b2!imtsft
Paul Czarnik