[comp.sources.d] C compiler wanted for UnixPC

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (10/25/87)

dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) wrote:
>                    The unix utilities set runs somewheres around $300
> at a good discount I believe it lists for $500.  The unix utilities includes
> all the usual tools (yacc, lex, sccs, ...), a C compiler, Advanced editor
> (vi), and the document preperation system (nroff...).  Are you interested
> in a specific dealer or what?  If you are interested in things at little
> or no cost I wish you luck but I can't help you.

This sounds like a good opportunity for somebody to port the GNU C compiler
to the Unix PC.  It already generates good code for the 68000, possibly
better than AT&T's compiler.  (It's better than Sun's PCC based compiler.)
It's available in source for free, and you can get an assembler too.
Linker and make are being tested and you could get a copy if you were
serious.  The hardest part would be building the library; though I have
most of a PD C library, it is not organized at all.

The compiler sources in a compressed tar file run about 1.2MB.  To bring
it up you will need an existing, working C compiler and at least 10MB of
free disk space.  If you don't know anybody with a copy of the compiler,
send mail to gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu and ask for help.  They can sell you a
9-track or cartridge tape containing it, if all else fails.  (The software
itself is free and can be given away or sold.  They sell the service of
distributing it.)

If C compilers are being discussed in the Unix-PC newsgroups, please
forward this message into that discussion.  I don't get those newsgroups.
--
{dasys1,ncoast,well,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu@toad.com