[comp.sources.d] A Quick "How-To"

rjray@uokmax.UUCP (Randy J Ray) (10/23/87)

I have a few questions here, and I am sure you folks can be quick to
help me . . .

How do you create these source files? I have dissolved and compiled a
few, and marvel at the efficiency of putting several files in one like
this. I have, in my curiousity, looked up the "sh" command in all the
manuals I could find, including the online man. I have not yet found any
directions on combining the separate files into larger ones. Any hints?

Randy

rjray@uokmax.uucp

robertd@ncoast.UUCP (10/27/87)

In article <787@uokmax.UUCP> rjray@uokmax.UUCP (Randy J Ray) writes:
>I have a few questions here, and I am sure you folks can be quick to
>help me . . .
>
>How do you create these source files? I have dissolved and compiled a
>few, and marvel at the efficiency of putting several files in one like
>this. I have, in my curiousity, looked up the "sh" command in all the
>manuals I could find, including the online man. I have not yet found any
>directions on combining the separate files into larger ones. Any hints?
>
>Randy
>
>rjray@uokmax.uucp

    I use a program called "cshar". It may be available on your system.

    With cshar, you simply type

    [$%] cshar main.c file.c xo.sh > system

    This would take main.c , file.c, and xo.sh and combine these files to
a shell script and put it to standard output. The redirection was used to
place the "archived" files into one file.

    Now it is easy to simply run "system". The shell script will take all the
files you "archived" and put them into that directory.

		[> Rd

--
North Coast Computer Resources(ncoast) - 216-781-6201 (or 781-6202)

UUCP:decvax!mandrill!ncoast!robertd

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (10/29/87)

There have been several "shar" (shell archive) programs posted to the
net, which are available from the comp.sources.unix archives.

Unfortunately, several recent postings from comp.sources.unix have
been packed with a shar program that puts
	PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb ; export PATH
into the shar.  Now, /usr/ucb does not exist on my machine,
		(I use REAL UNIX\*(tm :-), not that Berkeley stuff.)
and it's kind of annoying to have it there.  I wouldn't mind
	PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:$PATH ; export PATH
- it accomplishes the desired effect, and it's much more portable.
It may be that the $PATH on my machine is /ramdisk/bin:/nfs/foo/bin,
and I don't want to lose that.  Did this come from some standard shar
program?
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs