the name of your UNIX system and a path
relative to ncoast. (Look at the
path in this article from ncoast if you
don't know it.) Please also suply the
data number to the UNIX system and the
System Administrators voice number.

    I will email the SBBS to your
system.

    Please don't be discouraged at this long process. Its just that its
neccessary to protect me AND you.

----[cut here]----

    SBBS Beta Site Request Sheet

    I fully understand the following contract and will abide by it
completely.

    1) The copy that is mailed to me will not be modified or hacked in any
       way. It must stay as is during Beta Test and a bi-weekly report given
       as of the date this contract was signed.

    2) This copy of SBBS must not be distributed in ANY way. This includes,
       but not limited to electronic, printed or by word of mouth.

    3) SBBS may be open to the general public at your site but these users
       should not be able to access the source code copy.

    4) I here by release Rob DeMarco, ncoast, and its affiliates of any
       liabilities due to damage and/or loss of data caused by SBBS software.

    5) Beta testing will end Thursday, December 31, 1987. The rules of the
       Beta Site Request Sheet will be officially void at said date with the
       exception of rule #4 , #6, and #7 which apply to SBBS at ALL times.

    6) A final report and review should be sent to ...ncoast!robertd by Jan.
       10, 1988.

    7) Once Beta Testing is over, you may keep and freely distribute SBBS as
       long as no attempt is made to sell it and it is not distributed in
       modified form. i.e. ALL files (Including documents) are to be left
       intact and unmodified. Including copyright message and credits. YOU MAY
       MODIFY SBBS AT *YOUR* SITE.

    8) A SIGNED AND COMPLETED copy of this agreement may be kept for refer-
       ence in case any trouble or legal problems should arise.

    Date: __/__/__

    This agreement has been approved by ______________, the system
administrator for ________.             (administrator's signature).
            (UNIX(r) System Name)
----[cut here]----
--
North Coast Computer Resources(ncoast) - 216-781-6201 (or 781-6202)

UUCP:decvax!mandrill!ncoast!robertd

Sysop: NEODG (login "sbbs")

chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (10/24/87)

In article <4923@ncoast.UUCP> robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) writes:
	[ 80-odd lines of legalistic mumbo-jumbo ]

So what the bloody f*ck _is_ SBBS, anyway?!?

I hate it when people post messages offering you these systems that _they_
obviously believe are the greatest things since sliced toast, and just
_assume_ you agree and know all about what they're talking about...

All I ask is that they put in at least one little _phrase_ (not even a
whole sentence!) that gives you _some_ idea what the thing is.  I mean,
saying "SBBS is available for beta test, and here's how you get it" doesn't
do a thing for someone who has no idea what SBBS stands for; all you need
is "SBBS (my new whirlygig that slices, dices, and strudels mices) is now
available for beta test", and then the rest _exactly_ as before!

Is that so hard?!?

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman				Senior Programmer/Analyst
koala!brent@lll-tis.arpa		Capital Market Technology, Inc.

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (10/24/87)

In article <5608@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman)
writes:
>In article <4923@ncoast.UUCP> robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) writes:
>	[ 80-odd lines of legalistic mumbo-jumbo ]
>
>So what the bloody f*ck _is_ SBBS, anyway?!?
>
>I hate it when people post messages offering you these systems that _they_
>obviously believe are the greatest things since sliced toast, and just
>_assume_ you agree and know all about what they're talking about...

1. _I_ hate it when people post messages using uncalled-for expletives!

2. A few days prior to the message you cite Rob DeMarco posted a message
   describing SBBS as a UNIX-based BBS. If you don't read news regularly,
   or if your news feed is less than reliable so you don't get all messages,
   that's not Rob's fault and certainly does not justify outbursts like that.

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp

jmsellens@watdragon.UUCP (10/27/87)

In article <1900@killer.UUCP> wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) writes:
>2. A few days prior to the message you cite Rob DeMarco posted a message
>   describing SBBS as a UNIX-based BBS. If you don't read news regularly,
>   or if your news feed is less than reliable so you don't get all messages,
>   that's not Rob's fault and certainly does not justify outbursts like that.

There are untold megabytes of news running through the net *every day*,
and no one can remember it all.  I for example, try to completely
forget news articles that I am not interested in (saves clutter in
what's left of my brain).  I assume SBBS is some kind of Bulletin Board
system, probably for PC's.  But Rob should have mentioned in the latter
message what SBBS is, and possibly have included a reference to his previous
article.

robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) (10/30/87)

In article <5608@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) writes:
>In article <4923@ncoast.UUCP> robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) writes:
>	[ 80-odd lines of legalistic mumbo-jumbo ]
>
>So what the bloody f*ck _is_ SBBS, anyway?!?
>
>I hate it when people post messages offering you these systems that _they_
>obviously believe are the greatest things since sliced toast, and just
>_assume_ you agree and know all about what they're talking about...
>
>All I ask is that they put in at least one little _phrase_ (not even a
>whole sentence!) that gives you _some_ idea what the thing is.  I mean,
>saying "SBBS is available for beta test, and here's how you get it" doesn't
>do a thing for someone who has no idea what SBBS stands for; all you need
>is "SBBS (my new whirlygig that slices, dices, and strudels mices) is now
>available for beta test", and then the rest _exactly_ as before!
>
>Is that so hard?!?
>

>-Brent
>--
>Brent Chapman				Senior Programmer/Analyst
>koala!brent@lll-tis.arpa		Capital Market Technology, Inc.
>lll-tis!koala!brent			1995 University Ave., Suite 390
>Phone: 415/540-6400			Berkeley, CA  94704

Calm down. Obviusly I neglected to realize that some sites will expire my last
[recent] article. I case you need to know, SBBS is a new sbbs system that is
writen is shell scripts but is VERY powerful. (No cut corners) It is ful
featured also. It [should] be very portable because it uses standard unix
commands instead of system-dependant calls.

    Hope thats satisfactory. Just hope people still have my agreement! :-)

		[> Rd
--

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (10/30/87)

As quoted from <4960@ncoast.UUCP> by robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco):
+---------------
| In article <5608@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) writes:
| >In article <4923@ncoast.UUCP> robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) writes:
| >	[ 80-odd lines of legalistic mumbo-jumbo ]
| >
| >So what the bloody f*ck _is_ SBBS, anyway?!?
| Calm down. Obviusly I neglected to realize that some sites will expire my last
| [recent] article. I case you need to know, SBBS is a new sbbs system that is
| writen is shell scripts but is VERY powerful.

Insufficient.  "SBBS is a new sbbs system" sounds rather circular to me....

For those left totally confused by this exchange, SBBS is a bulletin board
system written almost entirely in the Bourne shell.  Fido it ain't, but it's
pretty good.
--
Brandon S. Allbery		     necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu
 {harvard!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal,uunet!hnsurg3}!ncoast!allbery