[comp.sources.d] v02i066: umoria - single player dungeon simulation

dce@mips.UUCP (11/08/87)

The following is from the UMORIA documentation (moria.doc.1).

               Moria is intended for Public Domain, and may not be sold  or
          marketed  IN  ANY  FORM without the permission and written consent
          from the author Robert Alan Koeneke.  I retain all copyrights  to
          this  program,  in  either the original or modified forms, and no
          violation,  deletion,  or  change  of  the  copyright  notice  is
          allowed.   Furthermore,  I will have no liability or responsibility
          to any user with respect to loss or  damage  caused  directly  or
          indirectly by this program.

One of us is confused. I thought that by placing something in the Public
Domain, the author gave up any and all copyrights. Can anyone explain
this?

I don't intend to sell this item, but I would like to include it as
part of a "free" software tape if we decide to work on one for our
systems. I don't think I like the idea of having to spend time asking
every author of every program that comes out on the net if I can
use his/her program.
--
David Elliott		dce@mips.com  or  {ames,decwrl,prls}!mips!dce

nj@ndmath.UUCP (Narciso Jaramillo) (11/09/87)

In article <888@quacky.UUCP>, dce@mips.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
> The following is from the UMORIA documentation (moria.doc.1).
>
>                Moria is intended for Public Domain, and may not be sold  or
>           marketed  IN  ANY  FORM without the permission and written consent
>           from the author Robert Alan Koeneke.  I retain all copyrights  to
>           this  program,  in  either the original or modified forms, and no
>           violation,  deletion,  or  change  of  the  copyright  notice  is
>           allowed.  [...]
>
> One of us is confused. I thought that by placing something in the Public
> Domain, the author gave up any and all copyrights. Can anyone explain
> this?

A little while ago someone posted a summary of "copyrighting" vs.
"public domain".  From what I recall, putting the words "public domain"
ANYWHERE within a package mean:
  1) Anyone can use the software for whatever purposes (distributing,
     selling, burning for firewood);
  2) they do not have to acknowledge the authors in any way;
  3) they do not have to compensate the authors in any way.

On the other hand, simply saying "This package is Copyright 1987 Robert
Alan Koeneke" means that you cannot distribute, copy, etc. the package
without prior permission from the author.  I believe the author may then
put a note about "free distribution", but I'm not sure about this one.

In a nutshell, if you want to retain ANY power over who copies and/or
sells your software, DON'T put the words "public domain" in it.

> I don't intend to sell this item, but I would like to include it as
> part of a "free" software tape if we decide to work on one for our
> systems. I don't think I like the idea of having to spend time asking
> every author of every program that comes out on the net if I can
> use his/her program.

If it says public domain, you can.  If it says copyright and doesn't say
public domain, you can't.  If it says both, the author is confused and
you'll have to go to a court if you want it settled either way.

> --
> David Elliott		dce@mips.com  or  {ames,decwrl,prls}!mips!dce

nj
--
nj: ...!{pur-ee, rutgers, uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!nj, ...!ucbvax!mica!nj