[comp.sources.d] sending source code

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (11/14/87)

In article <939@hao.UCAR.EDU>, woods@hao.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
> I suggest that it is more reliable and more cost efficient to send mag
> tapes via traditional shipping methods. That way, those who benefit
> from the transmission pay the cost of it instead of us.

There's only one problem with this, Greg: I can't stuff a DC2000, or a
9-track tape, into the 5-1/4 inch drive that represents the only removable
mass storage on my system. I'd be happy to pay for someone to send me a
stack of floppies, but there are precious few out there that can write
either 1.2 meg or 360K floppies in cpio format that my Microport system can
read that have the tape drives as well...

Don't get me wrong: I greatly appreciate the backbone's generosity. Until
wel can come up with a way to get stuff from the VAXen that some folks (not
necessarily you) think that all the world runs to the rest of the machines
in the real world, this will continue...

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | uucp: uunet!nuchat!splut!jay
Never ascribe to malice that which can | or:  academ!uhnix1!--^

root@uwspan.UUCP (John Plocher) (11/16/87)

+---- jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes in <244@splut.UUCP> ----
| > I suggest that it is more reliable and more cost efficient to send mag
| > tapes via traditional shipping methods.
| There's only one problem with this, Greg: I can't stuff a DC2000, or a
| 9-track tape, into the 5-1/4 inch drive
+----

Jay, and others with Microport Unix systems:

You can (for $1300) get a complete external 60Mb DC600A QIC-32 streaming tape
system from Bell Tech (software, drivers, support, the whole 9 yards...)
For $675 you can buy a 60Mb DC600A QIC-32 Everex system, add Microport's own
drivers and SW, and get the same thing.  This tape format is also used by Sun,
Xenix, and others.

If you need to send/get something, what are the chances of your calling up
the party that has what you want and setting up a DIRECT uucp connection
(you know, you call her machine yourself, on your dime)?  Microport is
even thinking about setting up a 386 system with login and uucp dialup
access for those who want to dl usenet sources.

BTW, the packages posted to the net will each fit on a small number of 1.2Meg
disks, usually one.  You could send someone a postage paid mailer with
a disk in it + $10.00 or so for the bother and he could make you a copy.
Still cheaper than emailing it!  (1.2 Meg at 1200 baud = 2+ hours @ $8/hr)

There are *many* ways to do what you want; the best of them don't involve
stepping on the toes of those who provide a free lunch for the rest of us.
(Thanks Erik, Greg, Mark, George, Rick, Henry, et al; next time I guess I
should spring for desert? :-)

 -John

--
Email to unix-at-request@uwspan with questions about the newsgroup unix-at,
otherwise mail to unix-at@uwspan with a Subject containing one of:

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (11/16/87)

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) wrote:
> There's only one problem with this, Greg: I can't stuff a DC2000, or a
> 9-track tape, into the 5-1/4 inch drive that represents the only removable
> mass storage on my system...

They both have valid problems.  Greg has the problem that random people
are spending his modem time and disk space to get their work and play done.
Jay has the old familiar find-the-common-medium problem, exacerbated by
the IBM PC market's slowness to supply standard cartridge drives.

There is a fix for both of these problems.  Jay clearly has a modem, or
he wouldn't likely be on the Usenet.  The fix is for Jay to set up a
uucp link with whoever he wants to move large sources with.  I do this
for people to pick up copies of the GNU C compiler occasionally, and
believe me, if somebody wants a 2 meg piece of software, they are
usually willing to go to the effort to set up a uucp link with you.  If
they aren't willing, it's OK by me that they not get the software from
me; I guess they didn't want it enough..

I agree totally with Greg about sending large sources through other
peoples' machines.  Set up a direct link and don't piss off the middleman!
--
{pyramid,ptsfa,amdahl,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu@toad.com
Love your country but never trust its government.

billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (11/18/87)

>I agree totally with Greg about sending large sources through other
>peoples' machines.  Set up a direct link and don't piss off the middleman!

This strikes me as an opportune moment to note that I can arrange for a UUCP
login on killer if anybody wants to grab anything from my archives of
comp.sources.unix, comp.sources.games, comp.sources.misc, and various other
miscellaneous stuff. Send me mail if interested. (Plug, plug)
--
Bill Wisner, HASA "A" Division		..{codas,ihnp4}!killer!billw
"I don't mind at all.." -- Bourgeois Tagg