[comp.sources.d] Books on VI etc.

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (11/13/87)

Here is a list of books I have found useful in getting familiar
with VI, EX, and the UNIX text processing environment in general.
It is not comprehensive, but I hope it helps some of you. Sorry there
is nothing on EMACS - I have not seen anything in print on this
editor, nor hve I ever used it.

Learning the VI Editor, by Linda Lamb. A Nutshell Handbook,
published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., 171 Jackson Street,
Newton, Massachusetts 02159. Ca. $8, order by mail (I haven't
seen it in bookstores at all). Two other good titles in  this
series deal with Managing UUCP and Using UUCP.

Exploring the UNIX System, by Stephen Kochan & Patrick Wood.
Hayden Book Company, ca. $20. I bought mine at B. Dalton's.
Chapter 7 (pp. 159-187) is a tutorial on VI. I also like the same
authors' books on UNIX System Administration and UNIX Shell Programming.
They have a book on UNIX System Security which is twice as expensive
because for some reason it has been published in hardcover. I'll buy
it when they produce a paperback edition.

Word Processing on the UNIX System, by Morris Krieger. A Byte Book.
McGraw-Hill Book Company, ca. $20.
This author, believe it or not, prefers ED to VI, so it's a good tutorial for
general UNIX line editing, including SED. Also very good on N/TROFF.

UNIX Nroff/Troff - A User's Guide, by Kevin P. Roddy. Holt, Rinehart & Winston,
ca. $20.
Detailed analysis of the inner workings of the ROFF's, as well as the MS and ME
macro packages.

Editing in a UNIX Environment - The VI/EX Editor, by Mohamed el Lozy.
Prentice-Hall, ca. $20.
As the title says, VI is THE subject of this book, although it also
deals briefly with AWK and SED.

The complete Berkeley Manual Set, as distributed for example with the
MtXinu distribution, contains a VI tutorial and reference articles.

In addition to these, virtually any book on UNIX these days has a chapter on
VI. Here's a few of them:
A Practical Guide to the UNIX System, by Mark Sobell -- Chapter 6.
Introducing the UNIX System, by McGilton & Morgan -- Chapter 8.
UNIX for People, by Birns, Brown & Muster -- Modules 4, 8, & 11

Wolf N. Paul
ihnp4!killer!wnp

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (11/19/87)

In article <2072@killer.UUCP>, wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) writes:
> Here is a list of books I have found useful in getting familiar
> with VI, EX, and the UNIX text processing environment in general.
> It is not comprehensive, but I hope it helps some of you. Sorry there
> is nothing on EMACS - I have not seen anything in print on this
> editor, nor have I ever used it.
>
> Learning the VI Editor, by Linda Lamb. A Nutshell Handbook,
> published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., 171 Jackson Street,
> Newton, Massachusetts 02159. Ca. $8, order by mail (I haven't
> seen it in bookstores at all). Two other good titles in  this
> series deal with Managing UUCP and Using UUCP.

Unfortunately, both the address and the price given here for the
vi Nutshell Handbook are incorrect.

The correct address is

981 Chestnut Street,
Newton, MA 02164

We also now have an 800 number for ordering--1-800-338-NUTS).
In addition, the book was recently revised and expanded,
and the price is now $15.

Another book that might be of interest is UNIX Text Processing, by
Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly  (that's me).  It covers vi,
ex, sed, awk, the roffs and preprocessors, etc.

We didn't publish it ourselves--it's published by Howard Sams
and _is_ available in most bookstores.  However, people can also
get it from us by mail order at the above address and phone.
--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks