[comp.sources.d] Problem with uEmacs doc pt 4

creps@silver.UUCP (11/20/87)

   The shar file of part 4 of the uEmacs docs seems to have an error in it,
at least at our site. Here are the last lines of the file, the last of which
is line 887:

X!endm
X	set %oldmode $cmode
X	set %oldgmode $gmode
X	add-mode wrap
X	add-global-mode wrap
X	write-message "[Wordprocesing mode loaded]"
FRIDAY_NIGHT
echo extracting -
sed 's/^X//' >  << 'FRIDAY_NIGHT'
XXFRIDAY_NIGHT

   My question is "Is there supposed to be anything after this line that I'll
need?" If so, where can I get it?

-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Steve Creps on the VAX 8650 running Ultrix 2.0-1 at Indiana University.
	creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
"F-14 Tomcat! There IS no substitute."

chip@killer.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (11/20/87)

In article <15100002@silver> creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>   My question is "Is there supposed to be anything after this line that I'll
>need?" If so, where can I get it?

Yep...the fourth part appears trashed.

I called up "The Starship Trooper" BBS (one of the several listed in "readme")
to see what was the scoop on the docs.  I found the following:

        - emacs.hlp was trashed
        - emacs.rc was missing
        - emacs.txt (the documentation) was missing
        - emacs.mss (source for emacs.txt) was missing

The thing came up fairly easily under SCO XENIX.  You need to at least
compile it as pure (-i), but I would recommend compiling it as large (-Ml)
to give it more buffer space.

I kind of wish it looked at termcap to see what the terminal's function keys
look like.  The VT100 section does not work for me (even after fixing the
syntax error in the section).  If anybody hacks in a more general function
key support, I'd be real interested in getting a copy.

On the whole, it is pretty impressive stuff.  (It is even supposed to work
on CP-M/86!?!!)  The manual is pretty heavy duty, and it is great to see that
Brian and Daniel put so much work into it.
--
Chip Rosenthal, Dallas Semiconductor, (214) 450-0400, ...killer!vector!chip
This message courtesy of ``The UNIX Connection BBS'' in Dallas.

mumble%karl@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (11/20/87)

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
      The shar file of part 4 of the uEmacs docs seems to have an error in it,
   at least at our site.

   echo extracting -
   sed 's/^X//' >  << 'FRIDAY_NIGHT'
   XXFRIDAY_NIGHT

It showed up here the same way.  It barfed on seeing the bogus "> <<"
syntax, but I assumed it was an error when the shar was built and
nothing more was intended.  I added the appropriate "echo med.4
complete" or whatever it was so it would look OK if transferred
elsewhere.
-=-
Karl

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (11/21/87)

Note that if you unshar the doc parts, as I did this am, you will find
that the readme file lists what SHOULD be there in the parts.  There are
at least 2 files missing - perhaps THAT is what the damaged part 4
was attempting (my guess is that the missing 2 files would have been too
large to go in that part anyways).  The missing files are emacs.txt and
emacs.mss.
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

larry@jc3b21.UUCP (11/22/87)

in article <2164@killer.UUCP>, chip@killer.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) says:

> In article <15100002@silver> creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
> I kind of wish it looked at termcap to see what the terminal's function keys
> look like.  The VT100 section does not work for me (even after fixing the
> syntax error in the section).  If anybody hacks in a more general function
> key support, I'd be real interested in getting a copy.

I have just finished porting the changes I made for 3.8 and early 3.9 to this
version.  They implement termcap usage of the cursor keys, function keys f0
to f9, Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down (mostly for XENIX on the latter
ones).  It works on Sys V.2 (3b2/300), 4.2BSD (Sun 3/50), and XENIX.  I don't
have access to anything else, I'm afraid.

There are a couple of other mods I've made, first to add ks/ke (the appli-
cation mode ESC O business for VT100's) and I've changed the bind.c code
so that it looks FIRST for .emacsrc in the current directory, then in $HOME,
finally in the $PATH entry.  This seemed more logical to me as I reserve a
directory for WP, a directory for C, a directory for FORTRAN and so forth.

I'd be happy to post the diffs after I make sure they are fairly stable, if
people would like.  Let me know.

-larry

(P.S. I have not added the SG fix to make it work with magic cookies)

--
+--------------------------------------+-- St. Petersburg Junior College --+
|        Lawrence F. Strickland        |   P.O. Box 13489                  |