[comp.sources.d] Microemacs 3.9 source problems

mdf@tut.UUCP (11/19/87)

The main.c we got was corrupted in the quit function.  If anyone has a
clean copy, please email me JUST main.c.

In compiling spawn.c on a Santa Cruz XENIX System V 286 v2.2 machine,
with the command 'make -f makefile.unx', without modifying anything, I
get a warning on line 795.  The warning is 'conversion of near pointer
to long integer'.  The really strange part is that this line follows a
line that says '#ifdef AZTEC', so line 795 shouldn't even get seem by
the compiler.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

--
Mark D. Freeman							(614) 262-3703
StrongPoint Systems, Inc.			    mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

wtr@clyde.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <1923@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) writes:

> In compiling spawn.c on a Santa Cruz XENIX System V 286 v2.2 machine,
> with the command 'make -f makefile.unx', without modifying anything, I
> get a warning on line 795.  The warning is 'conversion of near pointer
> to long integer'.  The really strange part is that this line follows a
> line that says '#ifdef AZTEC', so line 795 shouldn't even get seem by
> the compiler.  Any ideas?

> Thanks!
> Mark D. Freeman

I just got uEmacs up and apparently running (I've used it to edit) on
a SVR2 machine (VAX 8600). There are changes you have to make to some
global #defines in the file estruct.h .  These tell cpp which parts of
the sources to use.  This beast seems to want to run on anything :-)

Anyway, for SVR2 make the following changes:

In estruct.h
	under OS defs: set USG to 1, all others to 0
	under Compiler defs: set UNIX to 1, all others to 0
	under Terminal defs: set TERMCAP to 1, all others to 0
	I left everything else as originally set.
Also:
	if you get link errors (undefined externals), try to
	link with the -lcurses option instead of -ltermcap

Has anyone got their's running on MicroPort V/AT?  If so, any
problems?  I'm going to attempt it this weekend so any suggestions
be highly appreciated.

Now.. did anyone get the complete part4 of the uEmacs docs?
Mine got truncated, ('XX' as the last line) and I beleive I'm
missing the following files:

			EMACS.RC
			EMACS.MSS
			EMACS.TXT

please email them to me at the address below.

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (11/29/87)

As quoted from <1923@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> by mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman):
+---------------
| In compiling spawn.c on a Santa Cruz XENIX System V 286 v2.2 machine,
| with the command 'make -f makefile.unx', without modifying anything, I
| get a warning on line 795.  The warning is 'conversion of near pointer
| to long integer'.  The really strange part is that this line follows a
| line that says '#ifdef AZTEC', so line 795 shouldn't even get seem by
| the compiler.  Any ideas?
+---------------

The problem is "...without modifying anything..." -- there is a header file
in uEmacs which *MUST* be modified to inform the compiler what kind of system
to compile for.  The last time I compiled uEmacs, I seem to remember that the
default was in fact #define MSDOS 1, #define AZTEC 1.

It never hurts to check the configuration, even if the documentation says that
the default is correct for your system.  Sometimes last-minute changes are
made and the documentation isn't updated... besides, wrong documentation is
a Un*x tradition!  ;-)
--
Brandon S. Allbery		      necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu
 {hoptoad,harvard!necntc,cbosgd,sun!mandrill!hal,uunet!hnsurg3}!ncoast!allbery