[comp.sources.d] fake inews

andrew@me.brunel.ac.uk.UUCP (Andrew Findlay) (12/11/87)

In article <5822@ncoast.UUCP> joe@hanauma.stanford.edu (Joe Dellinger) writes:

>	Here is a shell I put together a few months ago to allow me to post
>news from my Sun. I don't really have news at all on my machine. I just managed
>to find a remote site I can nfs the news stuff from, and installed "rn" to read it
>with. This shell version of "inews" is short, sweet, and works fine.

[70 line shell script removed]

We have a similar situation here. One machine holds news, but many
mount that filesystem using NFS.  Here is our 'inews', as used on all
except the master machine:

#!/bin/sh
#remote inews
/usr/ucb/rsh Pluto /usr/lib/news/inews $*

The master machine is called Pluto. It is a VAX, though the client
machines are a mixture of Sun, VAX, Orion, and Pyramid. Most users have
a single home directory which is the same on all machines, though in fact
the only requirement is that they have *a* home directory on the master
machine to hold their .signature file. We juggle /usr/lib/news a little
using symbolic links to provide 'master' and 'slave' versions and to
allow for the different CPU types.

We are running News 2.11 with minor modifications.

Andrew

|  From Andrew Findlay at Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK  |
|  andrew@me.brunel.ac.uk               phone: +44 895 74000 x2512  |