[comp.sources.d] Reposting Sources Philosophy

billr@tekred.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) (12/19/87)

In article <298@udcps3.UUCP> wnek@udcps3.UUCP (Ken Wnek) writes:

>Many of the recent postings seem to indicate that our site was not
>the only one to miss one or more of the NetHack source code postings.
>Perhaps it would not be unreasonable to try posting all the sources
>once more, although spread out over a period of several days to
>help keep the load on the net down. This may also help to solve the
>problems we encountered.

The whole point behind moderation is to avoid reposting everything
beacuse some sites didn't get a copy or got a damaged copy.  There
are several archive sites located thruout the net, with the list
of archivers posted periodically (if you need a copy send me mail).
If there are a *large* number of sites who didn't get a copy I will
sometimes repost a particular part, but not the whole thing.

Here is the general procedure I recommend to people:
	1) See if someone else on your machine/company has a copy.
	2) Check with your network neighbors if possible.
	3) Post a request to a local newsgroup (lower phone costs)
	4a) Contact one of the archivers (anon ftp at some sites)
	4b) Contact me with your request and that you tried locally
	    without success.  (I generally respond quicker to request
	    for single parts than for many parts.)
	4c) Post a request to the net.
	5) If I see large numbers of 4b or 4c for a given part, I may
	   consider reposting.

Note that this should apply to comp.sources.{unix,misc} also (just
replace "me" with the moderator for that group).

	-Bill Randle
	Moderator, comp.sources.games
	Tektronix, Inc.
	games-request@tekred.TEK.COM