[comp.sources.d] Advsys & NetHack under Turbo C

tubman@sask.UUCP (Jim Tubman) (12/16/87)

Has anyone been able to successfully compile Advsys or NetHack with Turbo C?

NetHack comes with a makefile that purports to work for Turbo, but I can't
get it to work with either the Turbo "make" or the "make" that came with the
NetHack source.  (Yes, I did change the definitions in the makefile to
indicate where the compiler, library, etc. were, and changed the appro-
priate .h files).

Advsys has trouble dealing with files, and I suspect that it has something
to do with the #defines for RB and WB in the file adltypes.h.

Thanks for any light anyone might shed on these important matters.

				      Jim Tubman
"One horse-laugh is worth	      The Computer-Guided Diagnosis Project
 ten thousand syllogisms."	      University of Saskatchewan
				      Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
	     H. L. Mencken	      S7N 0W0  Canada
				      {ihnp4,alberta,utcsri}!sask!tubman

brengle@hpcltjb.HP.COM (Tim Brengle) (12/22/87)

|Has anyone been able to successfully compile Advsys or NetHack with Turbo C?
|
|<NetHack info deleted>
|
|Advsys has trouble dealing with files, and I suspect that it has something
|to do with the #defines for RB and WB in the file adltypes.h.

Are you talking about AdvSys or ADL?

			Tim Brengle
			...!hplabs!hpclisp!brengle
			brengle%hpclisp@hplabs.hp.com

fritz@killer.UUCP (Fritz Whittington) (12/25/87)

Newsgroups: comp.sources.d
Subject: Re: Advsys & NetHack under Turbo C
In article <1030004@hpcltjb.HP.COM> brengle@hpcltjb.HP.COM (Tim Brengle) writes:
>|Advsys has trouble dealing with files, and I suspect that it has something
>|to do with the #defines for RB and WB in the file adltypes.h.
>
>Are you talking about AdvSys or ADL?

Sounds like ADL to me.  I had a similar difficulty getting it to work on
MSDOS using MSC5.0 to compile.  The problem is in the optional third parm
to open(), which specifies the permission bits if open has to create the
file.  Under MSDOS, the default permission for a new file is "read-only",
that is, "write-protected", and the compiler can't use its temp files. The
fix is to supply the third parm on all the open() calls.
--
Fritz Whittington    {ihnp4, gatech!codas}!killer!fritz