[comp.sources.d] need info on anonymous ftp

larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) (12/20/87)

We would like to have the ability to anonymous ftp the sources that are
available on various hosts.  In order to do so we need information.
We have ftp but it appears to only support tcp/ip protocol.
Various postings have been made requesting this info previously, but we
don't remember seeing any detailed outline as to what is necessary.
--
					Larry Autry
larry@sgistl.sgi.com

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (12/20/87)

In article <5556@sgistl.SGI.COM> larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) writes:
>We would like to have the ability to anonymous ftp the sources that are
>available on various hosts.  In order to do so we need information.
>We have ftp but it appears to only support tcp/ip protocol.
>Various postings have been made requesting this info previously, but we
>don't remember seeing any detailed outline as to what is necessary.

FTP is the "File Transfer Protocol" of the TCP/IP protocol suite.  It
can only be used over TCP/IP networks, such as the DARPA Internet (more
commonly, but incorrectly, known as the ARPANET.  The ARPANET itself is
only those hosts with addresses like 10.x.0.y).  You need the blessing
of the Defense Communications Agency to connect to the ARPANET.  If you
can find someone willing to gateway for you, you can apply for your own
network number and get on to the Internet that way, but you are still
supposed to have an offical "good reason" for doing so.

The bottom line is that, if you are a UUCP-only site, it is not possible
to use anonymous FTP to retrieve files at all.

--Pat.

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (12/26/87)

Although an incorrect use of the term "ftp" a number of public access
UNIX sites allow anonymous uucp access to their systems.  This, of course,
requires the other system to pay for the call.  My system is archiving the
comp.sources.unix and comp.sources.misc groups; call 814 333 6728 300/1200/
2400 (no BREAK, modem autobauds) and use the login of "pdsrc".  Copy
"sir-alan!/usr/spool/pdsrc/all.subjects" to your system; it lists currently
available files.  I hope to have Vols I - XI of mod.sources/comp.sources.unix
on-line by Feb. 1

Mike Squires 814 724 3360 (voice) 814 333 6728 (data) ...!pitt!sir-alan!mikes