[comp.sources.d] access to Internet FTP from uucp sites

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (12/30/87)

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) wrote:
> >	(Ideally, this "server" could anonymous FTP anywhere and
> >	return a [uuencoded? ARCed? compressed?] UUCP message).
> >Could UUNET do this?  Someone?  Please?
> You've got a basic misunderstanding here, I think.  You can only FTP among
> sites on the Internet (FTP on a LAN is boring and doesn't count :-).  If
> you can do that, you don't need the server.  Or, are you asking that the
> server know all the archives everywhere, and FTP and pick up the right
> software from the right source?  Ouch!  Who could maintain such a
> database?  It's an impossible task.

Actually, this is doable.  Any Internet site could certainly write an
archive server that would accept a hostname, directory name, file type,
and filename(s), and FTP those files over the Internet.  I have a shell
script that does this.  The script could be extended to do this in an
empty directory and to then tarmail whatever was received, to an email
address.  (Tarmail does "tar | compress | btoa" and breaks the result up
into mailable chunks.  It comes with compress.)

The problem is that most people say "you can get this software by
anonymous FTP from foo.berkeley.edu" and never really say what
directory it's in, what the exact file name is, or the file format.
FTP's *ability* to be interactive forces everybody who uses it to be
interactive due to sloppy advertising.  But if a working archive
service was running, this would probably improve -- people who gave
nonspecific directions would get flames or polite letters asking them
to clarify, and they would learn.  In the meantime we could ask the
archive server to send us "ls -sRF" on that site's FTP directory, grep
for what we want, then do the actual request.

> Finally, we come to the big question:  who pays?  Sure, I suppose uunet
> could bring up Brian's archive-server, but all it would take is for one
> or two people -- say in Canada, California, and England...

It would be easy for uunet to offer this service only to directly
connected uucp sites, and they are billed monthly for uucp service.
European sites that gateway through mcvax already have arrangements
to split costs; if these support chargeback for large volume mail traffic,
uunet could also allow access via mail starting "mcvax!".  Since anyone
can get a connection to uunet, this is not discriminatory.

In fact uunet already offers a similar service, but with human intervention.
If you send mail to uunet!postmaster asking for something that has
been advertised for FTP (best to include the whole message), they
will ftp it for you and queue it to be uucp'd to your site.  You can't
do it in the middle of the night and have the software in an hour,
but it's still a good deal...
--
{pyramid,ptsfa,amdahl,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu@toad.com
  I forsee a day when there are two kinds of C compilers: standard ones and