[comp.sources.d] What is the status of Ogre computer game?

billr@tekred.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) (01/23/88)

Awhile back I posted a version of the game Ogre that had been
submitted to comp.sources.games.  After doing so I received mail
saying that Ogre was a copyrighted game (written|distributed) by
Michael Jackson Games (or similar name; I'll have to dig through
my old mail).  There was also some discussion on the net that
it was in fact OK for somewon to derive a computer game from a
board game without infinging copyright, etc.

Well, I have ready to go an improved version of Ogre that has
been submitted for posting.  Before I do or don't post it, I
wanted to get the consensus of the net on whether it is legal
to do so.

	-Bill Randle
	Moderator, comp.sources.games
	Tektronix, Inc.
	billr@tekred.TEK.COM

jesup@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu.UUCP (01/24/88)

In article <2110@tekred.TEK.COM> billr@tekred.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) writes:
>Awhile back I posted a version of the game Ogre that had been
>submitted to comp.sources.games.  After doing so I received mail
>saying that Ogre was a copyrighted game (written|distributed) by
>Michael Jackson Games (or similar name; I'll have to dig through
>my old mail).  There was also some discussion on the net that
>it was in fact OK for somewon to derive a computer game from a
>board game without infinging copyright, etc.

	That's Steve Jackson games.  And NO, it is not ok OR legal to
distribute such a copied game.  There are licensed computer versions of
Ogre (done by Origin Systems).
	I thought this had gone around enough times already.  Steve Jackson,
unlike many copyright holders, really does care and might well prosecute
if it were brought to his attention.  (Some previous versions have been).
Plus, it's unethical.  Whether you can get away with it doesn't matter, it's
wrong.

	If you lived of the royalties from a computer game, and someone made
a board game version, wouldn't you be upset?

	If the game were signifigantly different, and it was not called
Ogre (that's a trademark!), it MIGHT be ok (depends on how different).

P.S.  I would have emailed this, but we have no mail at this site.
     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

pwing@apple.UUCP (Philip L. Wing) (01/26/88)

In article <2110@tekred.TEK.COM>, billr@tekred.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) writes:
> Awhile back I posted a version of the game Ogre that had been
> submitted to comp.sources.games.  After doing so I received mail
> saying that Ogre was a copyrighted game (written|distributed) by
> Michael Jackson Games (or similar name; I'll have to dig through
> my old mail).  There was also some discussion on the net that
> it was in fact OK for somewon to derive a computer game from a
> board game without infinging copyright, etc.
	His name is Steve Jackson, and his company is Steve Jackson Games,
a fairly important boardgaming company.  The "Ogre" boardgame is one of
their most popular games, although most development time is now going into
"Car Wars".

> Well, I have ready to go an improved version of Ogre that has
> been submitted for posting.  Before I do or don't post it, I
> wanted to get the consensus of the net on whether it is legal
> to do so.

	The problem with your copyright is not that Steve Jackson Games has
a UNIX computer game, but that Origin Systems has a micro game based on
the game.  Depending on what the license looks like, Origin Systems might
be able to complain about the game if they are the only ones who can write
a "computer" game based on "Ogre".  Same problem as with microcomputer
"rogue" which was originally intended to be license for the the IBM-PC only
but the license was written as "microcomputers" so my planned conversion
for Apples was wiped out by Epyx and their version after they bought the
micro version of "rogue".

	Money's on the fact that you should be able to distribute this
thing since it is free.  "trek73" distribution is not limited by Paramount,
or Franz Joseph Designs, so you should be ok.  I'd love a version with
*DOCUMENTATION*, plus all the units possible in Ogre/GEV, including the
"Cub" ( a missile launcher on a GEV ).

--
Live Long And Prosper and May The Force Be With You(And The Carrier, Too...)

				Philip L. Wing

pem@cadnetix.UUCP (Paul Meyer) (01/27/88)

In article <2110@tekred.TEK.COM> billr@tekred.TEK.COM (Bill Randle) writes:
>Awhile back I posted a version of the game Ogre that had been
>submitted to comp.sources.games.  After doing so I received mail
>saying that Ogre was a copyrighted game (written|distributed) by
>Michael Jackson Games (or similar name; I'll have to dig through
>my old mail).  There was also some discussion on the net that

> [ question on the final opinion of the net, relative to an improved
>   version now ready to post if it's OK]

1)  Ogre is copyrighted and trademarked by Steve Jackson, currently of
    Steve Jackson Games.

2)  The major conflict here is not that the original game has an owner,
    but that a computer version of the game is also being commercially
    produced by Origin Systems and distributed by Electronic Arts.

3)  Steve Jackson had an account with USENET access as recently as last
    fall.  (Unfortunately I lost the information in our recent move.)
    I imagine he would not object to the UNIX* version of the game because
    he's a pretty easy-going guy when people aren't out to scr*w him,
    but Origin or EA might object depending on their agreements with him.

    I have crossposted this to rec.games.frp because several people who
    have inside connections with SJG have been known to read that group.
    Please edit the Newsgroups header on further followups.

--
Paul Meyer          pem@cadnetix.UUCP ( hao!boulder!cadnetix!pem)
Cadnetix Corp.                        (hao!isis!ico!cadnetix!pem)