[comp.sources.d] Black Box

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (01/28/88)

In article <22043@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> robertj@yale.UUCP writes:

>I would tend to think that all the Black Box adaptations are equally
>illegal, by this same rationale.  Numbers do NOT make it right, NOR
>do they make it legal... it's just that it probably hasn't been brought
>to the attention of the people who make Black Box.

As a point of curiosity:  I thought that Black Box was first implemented
as a computer game (via a contest in Creative Computing magazine, if
I remember correctly) and only later made into a commercial boardgame.
Does anyone know what the true chronology is/was?

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (02/02/88)

)
) )I would tend to think that all the Black Box adaptations are equally
) )illegal, by this same rationale.  Numbers do NOT make it right, NOR
) )do they make it legal... it's just that it probably hasn't been brought
) )to the attention of the people who make Black Box.
)
) As a point of curiosity:  I thought that Black Box was first implemented
) as a computer game (via a contest in Creative Computing magazine, if
) I remember correctly) and only later made into a commercial boardgame.
) Does anyone know what the true chronology is/was?
)

OK, even if Black Box was done in Creative Computing (do you have the
date, I may be able to answer from that) there are other games that were
"translated" from board to computer format (and apparently vise-versa).
I bought (on a disk of 4 other games) a game called something like
Star Empires. In play this game is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM AVALON HILL'S
ACQUIRE. Avalon Hill has their own version of Acquire out too. What gives!

By The Way, Avalon's price is about $30 for the computer game, the other
one cost only $5.00 and came with 4 other programs. While I don't condone
it, I can understand the ugre to pirate.

This seems to be getting interesting for rec.games.programmer so I am
cross posting there.
This is the voice of world control,	|	Mike Davis
we bring you peace,			|	ihnp4!ihlpm!jmdavis
the peace you need to survive. - C:TFP	|_________________________