[comp.sources.d] omega problems

tchrist@convex1.UUCP (02/01/88)

Has anyone gotten omega compiled on anything but a sun?

-- tom

Tom Christiansen            ...{ihnp4,uiucdcs,ut-sally,sun}!convex!tchrist
Convex Computer Corp        convex!tchrist@sally.utexas.edu
Richardson, Texas

games@polyslo.UUCP (Fun and Games) (02/03/88)

In article <90400001@convex1> tchrist@convex1.UUCP writes:

>Has anyone gotten omega compiled on anything but a sun?
>
>-- tom
>
>Tom Christiansen            ...{ihnp4,uiucdcs,ut-sally,sun}!convex!tchrist
>Convex Computer Corp        convex!tchrist@sally.utexas.edu
>Richardson, Texas

I had no problem getting omega to compile on our pyramid 98x running 4.2BSD.
Unfortunately, it's such a memory hog, that we had to remove it from public
access. We were running out of swap space on disk. I recompiled it with
the -q option so that little things like chars would be put togehter in one
word, and I made several of the flags in the Dungeon array into bitfields,
but it still takes 3Mbytes when it runs. I am considering modifying it to
just keep one level in memory at a time, and the rest on disk, but i want
to check with the author first, because of that license he has on it. (No
modification allowed)

Keith Hearn
'games'

--
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
|    ihnp4!psivax!csun!polyslo!games | I've had a perfectly wonerful evening. |

jong@hounx.UUCP (J.LEE) (02/04/88)

In article <90400001@convex1>, tchrist@convex1.UUCP writes:

> Has anyone gotten omega compiled on anything but a sun?
>
> -- tom
>
> Tom Christiansen            ...{ihnp4,uiucdcs,ut-sally,sun}!convex!tchrist
> Convex Computer Corp        convex!tchrist@sally.utexas.edu
> Richardson, Texas

Yes. I have compiled it on Vax785 running system V.
You have to change a few things like strings.h to string.h
and random() to rand() (also srand(seed)) in a couple of
places. Otherwise, it compiled ok.  The problem with
me was I could not run it because the code was too big
(for the current version of V we are running.. not enough
core for user applications that are too big).  I am trying
to see how I can get around it.  Doing "size" on the
compiled code reports that the program will hog about
4 meg of core (and possibly more for dynamically allocated
storage within the proggram).  The system admistrator says
once our machine is converted to paging from swapping,
the memory problem would go away.. but sure would be
nice if I can run it now.  Anybody any suggestions??

J. Lee
Bell Labs, Holmdel, NJ.

still@usceast.UUCP (Bert Still) (02/04/88)

In article <90400001@convex1> tchrist@convex1.UUCP writes:

>Has anyone gotten omega compiled on anything but a sun?
>
>Tom Christiansen            ...{ihnp4,uiucdcs,ut-sally,sun}!convex!tchrist
>Convex Computer Corp        convex!tchrist@sally.utexas.edu
>Richardson, Texas

	Yes. I have omega running under BSD4.3 and Ultrix-32 v1.1. There have
been some problems with "core dumping" that I have had to play with, but the
fixes in comp.sources.games.bugs seem to have helped fix the problem. (By the
way, the machines that I am running omega on are Vaxen: an 11/725 and an 11/780
and I will try to get omega to work on my AT&T 3B2/300 this weekend under SVR2.)
If you have a more specific question in mind, I would be willing to try to help.

					bert
					still@cs.scarolina.edu

UUCP: ...!seismo!ncr-sd!ncrcae!usceast!still

jonl@sco.COM (Owl Of Nite) (02/05/88)

+-I seem to recall tchrist@convex1.UUCP writing:

| Has anyone gotten omega compiled on anything but a sun?
|
| -- tom
|
| Tom Christiansen            ...{ihnp4,uiucdcs,ut-sally,sun}!convex!tchrist
| Convex Computer Corp        convex!tchrist@sally.utexas.edu
| Richardson, Texas

Yes, I have it running on both 4.2 and 4.3 BSD UNIX... after working
on it as it evolved ( i still like to take credit for the brothel :} )..
If anyone has any problems that you think i might be able to help out
with, feel free to email me and ill help how i can.

------
jon luini (never logged in) [ fred smith really... im on the run... ]

>==============================================================================<
 ||    jonl@sco.com           /\ ...!{uunet, ihnp4, ucbvax!ucscc}!sco!jonl   ||
 ||    falcon@sonya.ucsc.edu  || ...!{ucbvax}!ucscc!sonya!falcon             ||
 ||    falcon@fatou.ucsc.edu  || ...!{ucbvax}!ucscc!fatou!falcon             ||
 ||    niteowl@ucscb.ucsc.edu || ...!{ucbvax}!ucscc!ucscb!niteowl            ||
 ||    niteowl@ssyx.ucsc.edu  || ...!{ucbvax}!ucscc!ssyx!niteowl             ||
 ||                           ||                                             ||
 ||    302 cypress street     || "if its got caps, kill it."                 ||
 ||    santa cruz, ca 95062   || the ramblings expressed here are not mine,  ||
 ||    home: 408-423-2917     || they are my evil twin brother, garth luini. ||
 ||    work: 408-425-7222     \/ -HFV Productions, for a better tomorrow...- ||
>==============================================================================<

	"whats the point?" "there is no point, this is BoFf!"

rich@jolnet.UUCP (Rich Andrews) (02/06/88)

>In article <90400001@convex1>, tchrist@convex1.UUCP writes:
>
> Has anyone gotten omega compiled on anything but a sun?
>
> -- tom

I have a 3b2/400 here with 2 meg of ram and have sucessfully
compiled it.  Running it causes a core dump.  Looks like it
is using all available ram and then asks for more causing the
core dump.

rich

Any opinions expressed are my own.  Now, for a limited time, they can be yours
too, for the incredible price of only $19.95.  Simply send $19.95 (in Alterian
dollars) to ...killer!jolnet!rich.  Or call (312) 301-2100 (data) Rich Andrews

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (02/08/88)

In article <384@jolnet.UUCP> rich@jolnet.UUCP (Rich Andrews) writes:
>>In article <90400001@convex1>, tchrist@convex1.UUCP writes:
>> Has anyone gotten omega compiled on anything but a sun?
>> -- tom
>
>I have a 3b2/400 here with 2 meg of ram and have sucessfully
>compiled it.  Running it causes a core dump.  Looks like it
>is using all available ram and then asks for more causing the
>core dump.

No problem with Xenix/V 386, I have it operating here.  It does use an
ungodly amount of RAM, but since Xenix is a VM implementation, it doesn't
seem to bother the system too much.

It *does* immediately ask for about 3.5M of RAM (!)  If our system didn't
have the virtual space genned to do this, we'd be unable to run it too...

Paging systems should have little trouble, but if you're a swapping system,
look out!  Better have *lots* of physical memory...

------
Karl Denninger		       |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910
...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl	       | "Quality solutions for work or play"

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (02/18/88)

Have no problems running it (other than the bugs already mentioned on
the net).  Sys config == +-21MB swap/load area + 11 MB memory on machine.

So it works on other than Suns...
Stefan Brandle                                 UUCP:  ihnp4!wheaton!stefan
Wheaton College                                "But I never claimed to be sane!"