[comp.sources.d] 11/70 light fun

root@mutley.UUCP (System Administrator) (02/24/88)

Bored with turning the knobs on the front of my 11/70 here, I zapped this
little program together to bounce the front panel lights a bit.  I run it
in the background with a priority of +200 and it nibbles at the free cpu
cycles, resulting in a pretty fair indicator of cpu usage; the lights slow
down or stop depending on free cpu time.

This is written for V7 shared-data type kernels.  It works on Venix but I
don't know about any others.  Basically it just modifies real-memory
location 777570(Octal).  This probably has do be done by uid 0.

Has anyone else plugged into to lights on the '70?  I'd like to know.

=======================================
main()
{
int *addr;
unsigned int i,j,k;

phys(6,1,0177775);
addr = 0140070;
	i=0140000;
loop:	i = i >> 1;		/* Playing with this line changes the pattern */
	if(i & 01 )  i |= 0100000;
	for(k=0;k<=06000;k++);
	*addr = i;
	goto loop;
}
=======================================
--
Scott G. Taylor       Pmd Resources, 3709 Old Conejo Rd, Newbury Park, CA 91320
snidely!mutley!staylor@wlbr.eaton.com                            (805) 499-0367

bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (Bruce Bergman @spot) (02/27/88)

In article <198@mutley.UUCP>, root@mutley.UUCP (System Administrator) writes:
> Bored with turning the knobs on the front of my 11/70 here, I zapped this
> little program together to bounce the front panel lights a bit.  I run it
> in the background with a priority of +200 and it nibbles at the free cpu
> cycles, resulting in a pretty fair indicator of cpu usage; the lights slow
> down or stop depending on free cpu time.
>
> Has anyone else plugged into to lights on the '70?  I'd like to know.
>
> Scott G. Taylor       Pmd Resources, 3709 Old Conejo Rd, Newbury Park, CA 91320

Yeah, we did some fun stuff with the 70 consoles!  In some ways, I've been sad
to see fewer computers with that old fashioned console; it was a lot of fun to
make the lights zip around.  ;^)

We were running RSTS/E on two 11/70's and an 11/45 when we found some nifty
patches to the monitor to change the console lights.  Basically, we had a
different version of RSTS/E on each 70 and decided to make the lights circle
in one direction on one 70 and in the other direction on the other 70.  That
way, anyone entering the machine room could tell which version of RSTS/E was
being run on each 70 without going to the console.

You realize, of course, that this was the "official" story we gave the Big-
Wigs at the University.  Basically we were playing with the lights...  :^)

Before that, we used to take the machine down on weekends to reorg the disks
(a six hour process) so *late* in the evening, we'd hack at the machine by
entering object code through the front panel switches.  We finally got a
short program (about 50 instructions) that would make the lights dance on a
dead machine.  Entering it on the console was a nightmare, though.  If you
messed up, it was not fun to debug!

Anyhow, if you want the source, it will take me some time to resurrect it
from my collection of stuff at home (in Seattle).  I haven't touched a 70
in about six years...

bruce bergman
--
allegra!\                         TeleSoft, Inc.
ihnp4!   \   crash!--\            (619) 457-2700 x123
           >--ucsd!---->--telesoft!bruceb (Bruce Bergman N7HAW)
scgvaxd!  /           /
ucbvax!  /  log-hb!--/            5959 Cornerstone Court West
uunet!  /                         San Diego, CA.  92121-9891
Any opinions are my own.  Make Wildfire a Thing of the Past.

alan@numm.nu (Alan Hargreaves) (02/29/88)

In article <198@mutley.UUCP> root@mutley.UUCP (System Administrator) writes:
>Has anyone else plugged into to lights on the '70?  I'd like to know.

We had a '45 ( and it was only decommisioned last year !!!) running
AUSAM (A more secure V7).Similar code was shoved into the idle loop
in the kernel to give the appearance of a cylon. It had the same
same characteristics of displaying how busy the cpu was.

alan.
--
Alan Hargreaves			ARPA: alan%numm.nu.oz.AU@uunet.uu.net
ACSnet: alan@numm.nu.oz		UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!numm.nu.oz.AU!alan