[comp.sources.d] Basic Compiler/Interpreter wanted

abrams@bnl.ARPA (Karl L. Abrams) (03/12/88)

Does anyone know of a good Basic compiler or interpreter which will run
under BSD flavored UNIX?  A public domain one would be nice, but not
essential.  We've had a number of users inquire about one.

		Thanks in advance;

--
ARPA:		abrams@bnl.APRA
BITNET:		abrams@bnl.BITNET

mohamed@hscfvax.harvard.edu (Mohamed_el_Lozy) (03/14/88)

In article <393@bnl.ARPA> abrams@bnl.UUCP (Karl L. Abrams) writes:
>Does anyone know of a good Basic compiler or interpreter which will run
>under BSD flavored UNIX?  A public domain one would be nice, but not
>essential.  We've had a number of users inquire about one.

A question that comes up about once a year.  I do not like BASIC, but some
of my users need it.  We have been running a BASIC from the University of
British Columbia, written long ago by Bill Webb.  It is supplied by the

	Biosciences Data Center
	University of British Columbia
	2204 Main Mall
	Vancouver, B. C.
	V6T - 1W5

In May 1986 the person to contact was Ms. Susan Ertis, reachable as
..!ubc-vision!bdcvax!susan.

At the time we payed $120, which was a copying and handling fee.  It was
certainly worth it.

It works well, though clearly the directory is in the state it was in when
work on it stopped.  As I recall, it will not accept tabs in lieu of
spaces betweeline number and line (or before line number).