[comp.sources.d] UUPC -- Has anyone figured out how to transfer files with it?

mike2@lcuxa.UUCP (M S Slomin) (04/13/88)

I have a simple question that, I suspect, will generate a complex
answer:

Last year (and recently), sources and executables were distributed
for UUPC.  I have the executables for the IBM-PC, and the somewhat
meager documentation.  Recently, I thought I'd try to use this
beast to do anonymous uucp transfers from the several sites that
maintain publicly accessible Usenet archives.  (Our system has
an administrator-controlled Systems file, and it is a somewhat
major undertaking to get another system added to it.)  I quickly
discovered that I haven't the foggiest notion of how to do this,
because it is uucp that normally takes care of file transfers, and
not uucico (which uupc.exe apparently emulates) -- at least so far
as I can determine.

The docs for uucico do not indicate that there is an argument for
specifying files for transfer, the way uucp works, e.g.,
		uucp site!/files/  mysite!~/myname/

Neither do the docs for uupc.exe.  The best I can figure is that
uupc.exe looks for some spooled file to be transferred to the
called system to get it to do a uucp back while the connection
remains up.  But, what's the file? and its format?

Has anyone worked this?  I'll summarize and post any informative

				Mike Slomin
				bellcore!lcuxa!mike2

piet@ruuinf.UUCP (Piet van Oostrum) (04/14/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.9 of Mon Mar 21 1988 on ruuinf (hcx/ux)

Uucp, uucico, uux use command files to describe the work to be done by
uucico. The files are described in the Unix documentation
	Uucp Implementation Description, D.A. Nowitz

--
Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Budapestlaan 6, P.O. Box 80.012, 3508 TA Utrecht, The Netherlands

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (04/14/88)

In article <196@lcuxa.UUCP> mike2@lcuxa.UUCP (M S Slomin) writes:
>The docs for uucico do not indicate that there is an argument for
>specifying files for transfer, the way uucp works, e.g.,
>		uucp site!/files/  mysite!~/myname/
>
>Neither do the docs for uupc.exe.  The best I can figure is that
>uupc.exe looks for some spooled file to be transferred to the
>called system to get it to do a uucp back while the connection
>remains up.  But, what's the file? and its format?
>
>Has anyone worked this?  I'll summarize and post any informative

I guess the basic steps involved are as follows:

1. Use UUPC (rmail) to send mail to a remote site, then examine the files
   this generates in /usr/spool/uucp; paying special attention to the file
   names. You will have to make uu.exe inaccessible before you try this,
   otherwise it gets executed by rmail and the files will be deleted before
   you get control of the machine back to look at them.

2. Use UNIX mail on your UNIX machine to send mail to a remote site, and
   examine the files in /usr/spool/uucp; again paying attention to the file
   names.

3. Carefully observe the differences and similarities between the UUPC-generated
   files and the UNIX generated files.

4. Transfer a file to a remote system with uucp on your UNIX machine, and
   examine the files this generates in /usr/spool/uucp.

5. Transfer a file from a remote system with uucp on your UNIX machine, and
   examine the files this generates in /usr/spool/uucp.

6. Write a program which will accept the same args as uucp, and generates
   the same files as uucp, BUT WITH THE SAME DIFFERENCES as between UNIX mail
   files and UUPC mail files.

7. The last thing this program should do is spawn or exec uu.exe to actually
   do the transferring.

I was going to do this myself in September, but then I got Microport UNIX
up on my AT, so I never bothered.
UUCP:  ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp@EESDES.DAS.NET or wnp@dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD
                One Austrian's Opinion:  Waldheim must go!