[comp.sources.d] formatting program for manual entries

mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) (04/17/88)

Hi!
I hope you won't mind a beginner's question! :-)

I've been downloading a few 'goodies' from comp.source.unix and most of them
come with a manual entry ('goodie'.1 or something similar). These entries
are always of the following format:

	.TH GETPATHS LOCAL 6/2/86
	.SH NAME
	getpaths \- gather Usenet article paths
	.SH SYNOPSIS
	.B getpaths

My probem is: I'm still to find a formatting utilities that would print these
files the proper way! I tried nroff, mm, osdd ... there's always something
wrong with the output.

Am I missing something? Libraries or macros?

Please do not leave me in the dark!

          Mario Dorion              |     Don't tell my mother I'm a
          Frisco Bay Industries     |     Computer analyst,
          Montreal, Canada          |     She thinks I'm pianist
          (514) 738-7300            |     In a brothel

             Frisco Bay has no idea I'm doing any of this...

bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) (04/20/88)

Mario Dorion (mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP) writes:
> I've been downloading a few 'goodies' from comp.source.unix and most of them
> come with a manual entry ('goodie'.1 or something similar). ...
> My probem is: I'm still to find a formatting utilities that would print these
> files the proper way! I tried nroff, mm, osdd ... there's always something
> wrong with the output.

Did you type `nroff -man goodie.1'?  The "-man" part means "go read
the macros for manual pages".  If it looks good with

	nroff -man goodie.1 | more

then it will probably look good on your line printer, too:

	nroff -man goodie.1 | lp

(Use `lpr' instead of `lp' if you're running a Berkeley-based system.)

If it looks horrible on your line printer, you may need to use a "-T"
option to nroff, as in

	nroff -Tlp -man goodie.1 | lp

The "lp" part might need to be something else, like "-T37" or
something like that.  Ask your favorite system administrator, or
someone down the hall who is using the same kind of printer.

Hope this helps,
bob desinger

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (04/21/88)

Have you tried