[comp.sources.d] ispell

pinkas@mipos3.UUCP (02/13/87)

I recently picked up ispell from the net and am running into some problems.
If my terminal is a vt100, the help screen does not wait for a keypress at
the end.  Unexperienced users have trouble with this.  Does anyone have a
patch for this?

-Israel

--
User (n.): A programmer who will believe anything you tell him.

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%mipos3.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas%mipos3.intel.com

sohan@im4u.UUCP (03/21/87)

	I have been seeing a lot of discussion about ispell (an interactive
spelling checker) on the net. I have always used a shellscript like

echo $1 |spell

to check spellings interactively. How is ispell superior to the above script
or any appropriate modification of it to achieve similar functionality using
the UNIX spell utility. I don't seem to be able to glean this info from
the man pages of ispell, but I am sure there must be, since sentient beings
seem to be discussing ispell seriously. Could someone enlighten me on this?

Thanks in advance

Sohan

jte@psuvax1.UUCP (Jon Eckhardt) (05/04/87)

Ispell is a great program in fact I like it a lot but...

We have about 180,928,403,280,493 different versions of ispell
floating around the network.  Could someone test a good
version of the program and post it has ispell 2.0?  That
way we would have one version to work from and we would not
have all of those different copies.  I suggest that maybe the
original poster may want to take this up.  Thanks.

Jon Eckhardt      (Empty space)       jte@psuvax1.BITNET

UUCP = <allegra,ihnp4,atcgva,burdvax,purdue>!psuvax1!jte

jewett@hpl-opus.UUCP (05/05/87)

> We have about 180,928,403,280,493 different versions of ispell
> floating around the network.  Could someone test a good
> version of the program and post it [as] ispell 2.0?

    The definitive version was posted by Geoff Kuenning (geoff@desint.UUCP)
    on 14 Mar 87.  It was 1828 lines.  It did not include the dictionary.

    Geoff is clearly the de facto keeper of ispell.  He is doing a great job.
    Accept no substitutes.

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (05/07/87)

In article <2484@psuvax1.UUCP> jte@psuvax1.UUCP (Jon Eckhardt) writes:

> Could someone test a good
> version of the program and post it has ispell 2.0?

Here are my current plans for ispell:

    (1) I have recently completed changes to ispell to support capitalization
	information.  These changes are in alpha test on my machine.  I have
	also integrated nearly every fix that has been posted or sent
	to me;  the remainder are on my to-do list, but there is nothing
	earthshaking remaining.

	When I am satisfied with the alpha test, and have time (probably
	a couple of weeks from now), I will post a beta update to my
	"ispell patch #1" (unfortunately there's no easy version tracking;
	I will also address this problem at least a bit).  THIS UPDATE WILL
	NOT INCLUDE A DICTIONARY.  (It will, however, come with a sneaky
	shell script that will convert you existing dictionary to upper/lower
	case, without violating the copyright on /usr/dict/words, plus some
	advice on how to make a dictionary if you don't have one.  The
	complete dictionary will be reposted later this year in step
	(3), however.)

	This version will be posted the most efficient way possible (diff
	or reposting).  Though I haven't actually wc'ed the diffs yet, I
	suspect that almost all files will be reposted.  If most of the
	diffs are large (possible), I'll do a complete repost (sans
	dictionary!) on a what-the-heck basis.

    (2) When the beta has been posted, I expect to get another round of bug
	reports (especially because the capitalization was a lot trickier
	than you'd have thought, and I don't trust the code completely).
	I will again collect and integrate bug fixes.

    (3) When the beta bug flurry has subsided, I will send a final version
	(with a complete dictionary included) off to mod.sources for posting
	and archiving, and will then wash my hands of the thing.
	close to reposting all the files, I'll do

> I suggest that maybe the
> original poster may want to take this up.  Thanks.

Walt Buehring (the original poster) volunteered to collect and post dictionary
diffs;  I seem to have inherited the code (for the moment, see (3) above).
Walt, if you're listening, do you have any dictionary diffs to post?

--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (05/08/87)

I have been trying to get ispell running on a 3b2/300 with
2 megs memory.  Everything compiles, but when buildhash runs, I
get this message:

	buildhash
0 1000 2000 3000 4000 5000 6000 7000 8000 9000 10000 11000 12000 13000 couldn't allocate space for collision
*** Error code 1

	I have tried running buildhash both in single user and multiuser
mode, with the same effect.  The same source compiles and runs fine
on a VAX 8600 running SysVr2. (With 64 megs memory :-))
	Is this a problem with any system with limited memory?
	Could I take the ispell.hash file off the 8600 and use it
on the 3b2?

	Thanks for any info.

that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess
..!ihnp4!chinet!randy

drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) (08/04/87)

I find the following lines in term.c of ispell:

#ifdef SIGTTIN
	signal(SIGTTIN, oldttin);
	signal(SIGTTOU, oldttou);
	signal(SIGTSTP, oldtstp);
#endif

but I can't find any other use of 'oldttin', etc.!  What do these do?
I've commented them out, and it compiles correctly.  (I haven't been
able to run it yet, as I haven't gotten my hands on a dictionary.)

Dale
--
Dale Worley	Cullinet Software		ARPA: cullvax!drw@eddie.mit.edu
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw

ugwiles@sunybcs.UUCP (Dale Wiles) (05/11/88)

	Does anyone know where I can get a copy of "ispell". I beleive
it be a program to help peaple who spell (or misspell) like me. I'd
like to hook it up to the new version of emacs spell.el that I got of
the net.
					Thanks;

					  Dale (ug) Wiles.

ansley@sunybcs.uucp (William Ansley) (05/12/88)

In article <11140@sunybcs.UUCP> ugwiles@sunybcs.UUCP (Dale Wiles) writes:

>	Does anyone know where I can get a copy of "ispell". I beleive
>it be a program to help peaple who spell (or misspell) like me. I'd
>like to hook it up to the new version of emacs spell.el that I got of
>the net.
>					Thanks;
>
>					  Dale (ug) Wiles.

I'd like this information, too.

William H. Ansley, Computer Science Graduate Student
uucp:	  ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ansley
internet: ansley@cs.buffalo.edu         bitnet:	  ansley@sunybcs.bitnet
[or: ansley%cs.buffalo.edu@relay.cs.net, or:  ansley@buffalo.csnet]

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/12/88)

Get ispell from your nearest comp.sources.unix archive site, or from
uunet.uu.net or prep.ai.mit.edu via anonymous FTP (on the latter, it's
in /u/emacs/ispell.tar.Z), or from osu-cis via anonymous UUCP.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!att!osu-cis!bob

aboulang@bbn.com (Albert Boulanger) (05/12/88)

  Get ispell from your nearest comp.sources.unix archive site, or from
  uunet.uu.net or prep.ai.mit.edu via anonymous FTP (on the latter, it's
  in /u/emacs/ispell.tar.Z), or from osu-cis via anonymous UUCP.

Unless the version on prep.ai.mit.edu has been updated, it is the WRONG
version to use with ispell.el. There are several versions of the ispell
program running around. You want the version that takes the -A argument.

Albert Boulanger
aboulanger@g.bbn.com
Albert Boulanger
BBN Labs Inc.
ABoulanger@bbn.com (arpa)
Phone: (617)873-3891

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/12/88)

In article <13077@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
...Get ispell from your nearest comp.sources.unix archive site, or from
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is there a list of these sites publiched somewhere?

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (05/14/88)

[Sorry if this message is a duplicate; I had trouble with my previous attempt to
post this.]

In article <2900001@acf5.NYU.EDU>, mitsolid@acf5 (Thanasis Mitsolides) writes:
> How about the interface with gnuemacs (ispell.el)?
> Where can we find it?

I have sent ispell.el to Thanasis.  I can e-mail it to anyone else who is
interested; just drop me a line (please include your return path).

For those coming in late, ispell is an interactive spelling checking and
correction program.  It provides hooks for using a personal dictionary, removing
word processing commands from the text, and so on.  It can suggest corrections
for misspellings, as well as do "word completion" given a prefix of the word.

ispell.el is a GNU Emacs interface to the ispell program.  To use ispell.el, you
need "Ispell Version 2.0.01, May 1987 Beta posting" or later.  Do a "ispell -v"
to check the version number of your ispell program.

-- Ashwin.

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (05/14/88)

The current released version of ispell is 2.0.02.  If "ispell -v" prints
this out, you're current.  If "ispell -v" prints 2.0 or 2.0.01, you should
get and apply patches 1 and 2.  Patch 2 is in the comp.sources.misc archives;
patch 1 is available by writing me.  If ispell doesn't have a "-v" switch, or
if it prints an earlier version, you can get along without patches or updates
until my new posting (see below).

A working version of ispell is on uunet, in the gnu emacs archives.  I don't
know the pathname or the version, but since it comes with emacs, one can
presume that it works with that editor.

For people who do not have access to archives, I will send the ispell 2.0
sources, plus the two patches, upon request.  I will *not* send a dictionary
to anyone at present, but you can build one from /usr/dict/words.  However,
when you request ispell from me, please realize that the money to send it
comes from my own personal pocket, so I would appreciate it if you wouldn't
do it frivolously.

As a general rule, after a posting like this I collect requests for a while
and the respond to all at once;  this is cheaper for me.  So be
prepared to wait a week or two before it actually arrives.

Finally, an update on the much-promised new version of ispell:  it is looking
very healthy;  it has passed a limited alpha test.  I will post it just as
soon as I feel I can;  I hope this will be early this summer, but if I get
busy it may take as long as next fall.  This posting will be to
comp.sources.unix, so it will be archived, and it will include dictionaries
for English.  Watch comp.sources.unix for it.  I may post announcements
to other groups, but don't count on it.
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (05/19/88)

In article <29070@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (That's me!) writes:
> In article <2900001@acf5.NYU.EDU>, mitsolid@acf5 (Thanasis Mitsolides) writes:
> > How about the interface with gnuemacs (ispell.el)?
> > Where can we find it?
>
> I have sent ispell.el to Thanasis.  I can e-mail it to anyone else who is
> interested; just drop me a line (please include your return path).

I got so many requests for ispell that I've made it available for anonymous FTP.
(For those who have already sent me e-mail: if your request wasn't acknowledged,
it means one of our messages bounced.  Try the FTP route.)

The ISPELL program, as well as the dictionary, are available for anonymous FTP
from celray.cs.yale.edu (128.36.0.25).  There are two SHAR files:

-rw-r--r--  1 ftp        333435 May 18 11:56 dict.shar
-rw-r--r--  1 ftp        272402 May 18 11:55 ispell.shar

If you don't need the ispell program but only the GNU Emacs interface to it, you
need only FTP the following file:

-rw-r--r--  1 ftp         22712 May 18 15:06 ispell.el

Again, to use ispell.el, you need "Ispell Version 2.0.01, May 1987 Beta posting"