[comp.sources.d] Invisibility ad nausium!!!

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (05/19/88)

   From: "Robert C. White Jr." <nusdhub!rwhite>
   Newsgroups: rec.games.hack,comp.sources.games.bugs
   Date: 18 May 88 00:46:16 GMT

   I have one for all you out there...

   I zapped a wand of make invisible and used "." for which direction.
   BANG, I was invisible, nothing new here...

   FIVE LEVELS LATER, I DIED, HAVING NEVER SEEN MYSELF AGAIN.

   It is nearly impossible to play five levels of nethack while
   invisible, and I wouldn't have died except that I didn't seem
   to be moving consistantly.  [I may have had my hands on the
   wrong keys now and again, but stepping into the following
   Room from the left door:

	   -----------------
	###+.y.............|
	   |...............|
	   |...x...........+
	   -----------------

   The ONLY valid move was up, and all the monsters went to the "x"
   and beat the shit out of me. [or something,  I deduced this
   position from the placement of other monsters and the "hit"
   messages.  I think that there was a teleport trap just inside
   the door, so the first time through I went up to the "y" and
   searched for 100, and found nothing, so when I died at the
   "x" all the sudden like, I was quite supprised!.

   and no, I didn't have any rings of teleport, nor did I eat
   any nastys!

   So what's up with the perminant invisibility and the not
   finding things while invis?

   Rob.

You can take advantage of what I consider an oversight in the implementation
of the `C' command (and perhaps now the `/' command): even when you are
invisible, the cursor appears at where you are. Did you eat a Floating Eye
beforehand? If so, perhaps you should see yourself. Perhaps invisibility
should eventually time out like blindness.

Another perhaps unrelated misfeature is when you are crowned `The Hand of
Elbereth' by #pray'ing. Shopkeepers don't see you, and don't let you in
their store. I suppose if you became invisible inside their shop, they
wouldn't let you out either. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW, I haven't got scrolls of mail and/or ^A to work on a VAX 750 running
4.3 BSD. I did change my mail reader to /usr/ucb/mail, tho. Do these
things work at all? Also, does netquest work?

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	My name is in /usr/dict/words. Is yours?