[comp.sources.d] Why we need a UNIX arc

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (06/13/88)

In article <2693@bigtex.uucp> james@bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

>PS. I do think anyone using Henderson's source for a unix ARC is standing on
>    quicksand.  Why anyone would want a unix ARC when tar & compress are
>    available is beyond me.--

I want a UNIX arc so I can look at DOS and other ARC files on my UNIX machine,
to determine if I want to go to the trouble of transferring them to the
target machine, especially since I sometimes read news and look through
archives on machines to which I have only a slow 1200 baud connection.

I do not usually CREATE arc file on my UNIX system.

If someone came up with a non-Henderson source for an "ARC EXTRACTOR" I would
use that rather than SEA's arc.

Of course there are systems like killer which runs a BBS for non-UNIX users,
and who therefore have a greater need of a fully functional clone of ARC.
UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp@dcs.UUCP                         TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD