[comp.sources.d] Phil Katz

w8sdz@brl-smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (06/18/88)

Reading SEA's own documentation for any version of ARC you will find
that the program was based on the Unix "compress", Richard Greenlaw's
"squeeze/unsqueeze" and the *copyrighted* LZW crunch.  The copyright for
LZW is owned by Unisys.  Perhaps it's time for them to assert their
rights and sue SEA.  It seems to me that SEA's copyright is invalid
because one cannot take another copyrighted work, modify it and then
copyright it.

It seems that SEA has opened a "can of worms".  After announcing the
availability of an update of SEA's ARC program, I received the
following message which raises serious doubts as to the validity of
SEA's copyright.  Since this is a private message I have omitted
the sender's address.