[comp.sources.d] Please remove PD-YACC sources ... history repeats..

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (07/05/88)

In article <880001@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU David HM Spector writes:

>Now, wait a second!!!   Don't be so quick to jump to ATT's call... I haven't

	No, please don't wait. :-)

>seen the posting (wish I had..) but just because something is called YACC
>doesn't mean that its automatically owned by ATT.  If these sources had
>copyright notices all of them it was pretty silly to post them, but if not
>its not against the law (yet) to write a YACC replacement.

Egad... The so-called PD YACC, which is in fact THE Yacc broken-apart
to little pieces, has been posted, and WITHDRAWN half-a-dozen times
to this net over the years.

IT IS NOT PD. Withdraw/remove sources, or accept consequences. When
will this ever stop ?? Get BISON if you want a YACC-IN-SOURCE. Can't
anyone tell AT&T means business ?? Even the infamous Austin Code Works
finally dropped it off its source-code distribution, most probably
due to a similar letter.

oz
--
Crud that is not paged	        | Usenet: ...!utzoo!yunexus!oz
is still crud. 			| ....!uunet!mnetor!yunexus!oz
				| Phonet: +1 416 736-5257x3976

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (07/06/88)

If the code posted to the net is indeed _THE_ AT&T YACC, then of COURSE it
should be removed, and should never have been posted!  I didn't mean to imply
that AT&T should not protect its rights, I meant that since the posting was
unclear, and the letter as posted to comp.sources.d was sufficiently vague
that one should not just jump becuase AT&T says "jump". The GNU Project and
many others have written YACC replacements in the past.  I don't think AT&T
owns a trademark (I could be wrong.. I haven't actually looked) on the name
YACC, and one might argue successfully in court that in its domain, the term
YACC is used often and freely enough (and AT&T didn't aggressively seek to
defend its trademark) that the term YACC has joined the ranks of terms like
"XEROX", "KLEENEX" and "COKE" in being "a part of the language" and are now in
the public domain.  Note carefully however that "Kleenex Brand Tissues", "Xerox
copiers" (et al..), and "Coca-Cola" are still very much trademarks of their
respective owners...

_DHMS
David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector          New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"What computer puts out work like this?"  "Hire us and we'll tell you."
XYZZYGLORP