[comp.sources.d] How to play omega

jas@dadent (Jay Shrauner) (08/02/88)

In article <703@james.nprdc.arpa> malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) writes:
>Well, the first thing you want to do is get yourself outfitted better
>than you start. You can join either the Gladiators or the Mercenaries,
>but not both. Then you can enter the Games at the Coliseum to get
>additional cash (more if you're a gladiator).

There are a few more options as well.  You can join the Paladins, Enchanters,
and Sorcerors.  The version I played must have been oddly hacked because I
distinctly remember it being version .73 or something which is impossible.
There were no Paladins in that game though so I don't know about them.  It
seems you have to be oriented towards order, say by reading a scroll of order
or whatever they are.  Being a Merc is vastly preferable to being a Gladiator
because at least in the version I played you went up ranks as a Gladiator by
killing monsters in the Games as well as going up as a Merc.  If you have
the IQ for it being one an Enchanter seems to work well, and priests and druids
also get spells.

>If you find the thieve's guild, they will identify items for you, but
>the "Jane's" scrolls are truly nifty.

Now where is the stupid theives' guild?  I've never found it.

Finally, although of course none of us would stoop this low (hah!), if you get
really frustrated try playing as yourself except answer all the questions in
the way you would expect to generate a good character, and sure enough you
will have all 18s (er, I'm merely guessing about this of course; I would NEVER
try this myself...)

Jay Shrauner
jas@dadent.wustl.edu