[comp.sources.d] problems with SC, the spreadsheet calculator

coulter@wheaton.UUCP (Scott D. Coulter ) (08/02/88)

I'm trying to use the SC unix spreadsheet program which appeared on the
net a while back (I have version 5.1).  It seems to be working fine, except
for the screen updating.  When it first draws the screen, it puts the column
numbers which are supposed to be down the left-hand side in a stair-step
progression out into the middle of the screen.  Then any time you move the
cursor, there is garbage left behind, and it doesn't always move straight
across or down the screen (it sometimes follows the stair-step pattern).

As far as I can tell, the spreadsheet works properly, but just doesn't
update the screen correctly.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Have you
had similar problems?  I tried sending mail to the author of the program,
but haven't gotten any response.  By the way, we're running 4.2BSD.  I shall
probably have to plunge into the code and figure out what's going wrong, but
I wanted to see if anyone else had already done so.

Thanks and regards,
Scotters
--
Scott D. Coulter                    CPO 462, Wheaton College
Academic Computing Dept.	    Wheaton, IL   60187

pjbk@cs.hw.ac.uk (Peter King) (08/08/88)

In article <776@wheaton.UUCP> coulter@wheaton.UUCP (Scott D. Coulter ) writes:
>I'm trying to use the SC unix spreadsheet program which appeared on the
>net a while back (I have version 5.1).  It seems to be working fine, except
>for the screen updating.  When it first draws the screen, it puts the column
>numbers which are supposed to be down the left-hand side in a stair-step
>progression out into the middle of the screen.  Then any time you move the
>cursor, there is garbage left behind, and it doesn't always move straight
>across or down the screen (it sometimes follows the stair-step pattern).
>  By the way, we're running 4.2BSD.  I shall
>Scott D. Coulter                    CPO 462, Wheaton College
>Academic Computing Dept.	    Wheaton, IL   60187
>ihnp4!wheaton!coulter

This is a well known problem with the 4.2BSD curses library (or so I
believe, perhaps wizards can confirm).
Some versions of it have nl() and nonl() wrongly defined so that nl()
does what nonl() should do ... etc.

Of course system admisistrators are reluctant to correct the bug,
because so many working programs then fail at the next compilation.

I changed all the nl() and nonl() to each other.  Maybe the sc author
would like to have the option in the #define section, or the Makefile.

--
Peter King, Computer Science Department	JANET:	pjbk@uk.ac.hw.cs
  Heriot-Watt University		ARPA:	pjbk@cs.hw.ac.uk

jos@philapd.UUCP (Jos Vos) (08/09/88)

In article <776@wheaton.UUCP> coulter@wheaton.UUCP (Scott D. Coulter ) writes:
>I'm trying to use the SC unix spreadsheet program which appeared on the
>net a while back (I have version 5.1).  It seems to be working fine, except
>for the screen updating.  ...

It all works fine here... I also run sc 5.1, but I got it from a distribution
of the European Unix User Group i.s.o. from the net...

--
#  Jos Vos                             #  Internet  jos@philapd.UUCP  #
#  Philips TDS, Dept SSP               #                              #