[comp.sources.d] Legal aspects of Computer version of the game RISK

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (08/17/88)

In article <3309@crash.cts.com> andym@crash.CTS.COM (Andy Micone) writes:
> A computer game version of a copyrighted board game is a derivative work,
> and you cannot produce and distribute a computer game version of RISK
> without risking legal action against you. By having a copyright, Parker
> Brothers has exclusive rights to all derivative works of the board game.
> This means they are the sole party who has the rights to authorize RISK
> the computer game, RISK the novel, RISK the movie, RISK the lunchbox, etc.
> They can sell any portion of these rights as they choose, but they retain
> all rights to any form of derivative work that might come from their
> games.

> If you were to make a version of RISK for the computer and release it into
> the public domain you still risk severe civil damages. Even though you might
> not make any money off the game, you never had the right to release
> the computer game rights for RISK into the public domain (only parker
> borthers has that right). In this case the copyright law authorizes that
> you can be liable for up to $20,000 statuatory damages, and that you can
> still be liable for other damages if they can prove they have lost money
> due to the fact you put out a game in the public domain that effectively
> blocked their efforts to put a game out into the market. The legal fees
> to you go without saying.

Sorry for so much included text, but I had wondered about this when the
computer version of Yahtzee was posted to comp.sources.games a while
back.  It would seem to me that the author (and distributor?) of that
game would be in the same boat as the hypothetical RISK computer-gamer
mentioned above.  True?

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

--
Greg Paris                     <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
 {decuac,gatech,necntc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (08/17/88)

=
=Sorry for so much included text, but I had wondered about this when the
=computer version of Yahtzee was posted to comp.sources.games a while
=back.  It would seem to me that the author (and distributor?) of that
=game would be in the same boat as the hypothetical RISK computer-gamer
=mentioned above.  True?

The copyright, if there was one, for Yahtzee has long has long since expired.
I've forgotten the exact date it was invented (it was a question on Jeopardy!
recently), but it is a very old game.  Besides, isn't Yahtzee a derivative of
poker?

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (08/18/88)

In article <3498@rayssd.ray.com> gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:

>Sorry for so much included text, but I had wondered about this when the
>computer version of Yahtzee was posted to comp.sources.games a while
>back.  It would seem to me that the author (and distributor?) of that
>game would be in the same boat as the hypothetical RISK computer-gamer
>mentioned above.  True?

I don't think Yahtzee is as much of a problem.  Yahtzee is a repackaging
of the game called Yacht, which I remember reading the rules for in a
"Hoyle's Rules of Games"-type (maybe not Hoyle's per se) games book.
I believe that implies Yacht is public domain.  There is probably a
trademark on "Yahtzee", but its look and feel is free.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,mcnc,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

tim@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup) (08/19/88)

From article <3498@rayssd.ray.com>, by gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris):
> In article <3309@crash.cts.com> andym@crash.CTS.COM (Andy Micone) writes:

	Included text about Parker Brothers copyright on RISK deleted ...

>                      ... but I had wondered about this when the
> computer version of Yahtzee was posted to comp.sources.games a while
> back.  It would seem to me that the author (and distributor?) of that
> game would be in the same boat as the hypothetical RISK computer-gamer
					^^^^^^^^^^^^
> mentioned above.  True?
> --
> Greg Paris                     <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>

This is not hypothetical.  Tone Engle (sp?) released a Mac version
of RISK about a year ago (actually someone else posted it, he got a little
miffed, but then decided to let it go).

Does this mean he in deep trouble?  At the time he said he approached
Parker Brothers with the intent of letting them market it, and they
were not interested.

...  for what it is worth.
--
Tim Northrup      		  +------------------------------------------+
+---------------------------------+         GEnie:  T.Northrup               |

merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) (08/25/88)

In article <4292@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, tim@brspyr1 (Tim Northrup) writes:
| This is not hypothetical.  Tone Engle (sp?) released a Mac version
| of RISK about a year ago (actually someone else posted it, he got a little
| miffed, but then decided to let it go).
|
| Does this mean he in deep trouble?  At the time he said he approached
| Parker Brothers with the intent of letting them market it, and they
| were not interested.

A local Atari ST hacker (the good kind :-) wrote very nice ST versions
of Monopoly and Mille Borne.  The owners of the games (Parker
Brothers?)  "requested" that he stop distributing the games (even as
freeware), hinting that legal action would be the next step.  However,
they didn't take him up on distributing the games (darn... and they
were pretty good, too).

Makes you wonder if the game people really wanna make money or not.
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN Technical Publications (for now :-), Hillsboro, Oregon