[comp.sources.d] making ditroff fonts

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (08/20/88)

First, my question...

How does one compile fonts for ditroff?  I've heard mention of a program
called makedev, but can neither find it, nor get anyone to commit to
admitting having seen it.

Besides the HpLJ2, I've also access to a NEC PostScript PagePrinter, but
it's on the next floor down, and I have to take the elevator, cause the
stairs are locked (don't you hate it when people complain about security
being too tight :-)

Anyway, I do have Stephen Frede's (UNSW Australia) ditroff to postscript
translator, and other tools, but the silly font DESC file etc. need to
be compiled.

Now, the drivel...

In article <555@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>[... info about a great post-processor deleted ...]
>                                                I couldn't see paying
>$800 and up for software to support a lousy $1600 printer!

I whole-heartedly agree.  (Cheapest I've seen the printer is $1900CAN.)

>Vix: would you pay *a reasonable amount* for Shareware?

[ even though I wan't asked... ]
I'll never argue against Shareware, but.... I'll probably have to be
making a profit using Shareware before I pay anything for it.

>Net: Should I post now, and post BSD patches later?

YES!  I hope Rick S. gets back from vacation soon too!  (I don't care
about BSD :-)
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/20/88)

In article <1988Aug19.183837.3623@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> woods@gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>it's on the next floor down, and I have to take the elevator, cause the
>stairs are locked (don't you hate it when people complain about security
>being too tight :-)

(a)	I thought such issues did not exist north of the border or is
it competitors and not muggers you're worried about?

(b)	Does your local fire marshall know you've got locked
stairwells?

In article <1988Aug19.183837.3623@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> woods@gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>How does one compile fonts for ditroff?  I've heard mention of a program
>called makedev, but can neither find it, nor get anyone to commit to
>admitting having seen it...

It lurks in the ditroff source directories, normally.  If somebody has
sold you a ditroff without makedev, complain!
--
Intel CPUs are not defective,  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
they just act that way.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (08/27/88)

In article <1988Aug23.184024.29415@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <1988Aug19.183837.3623@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> woods@gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
> >I've heard mention of a program called makedev, but can neither find it,
> >nor get anyone to commit to admitting having seen it...

As it turns out, lots of people have indeed heard tell of it.  Thanks to
all those who replied, and especially those who's replies have either
been un-written, or lost in transit.  I will write the un-written ones,
but I do give up easily on failed mail :-).

> It lurks in the ditroff source directories, normally.  If somebody has
> sold you a ditroff without makedev, complain!

They did, and so did I!  The offending group was Interactive Systems,
via our local friends at HCR.  According to other documentation, it
seems that the source form of supplied fonts should also be available,
which it wasn't, as was the sometimes commented terminfo sources.

Just as a note, DWB 2.0 is yet-another product sold by ISC without
manuals.  At least formatted versions of the relevant man pages were on
the disks.

Everyone is on hold for the duplication of the diskettes for the new
version, which may hopefully contain the missing makedev and friends.