[comp.sources.d] MIT C Scheme on osu-cis

rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) (09/11/88)

----

having just seen the latest list of GNU goodies at osu-cis, could someone
tell me what "MIT C Scheme" is? it would (in general) be nice to have a one
line description of what each archive contains (most all the other archives
are relatively easy to figure out, but this puppy is approx 2 MB and i haven't
a clue other than it has SOMETHING to do with C).

thanx a priori

-bill

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (09/12/88)

Scheme is a dialect of the Lisp proramming language.
"C" refers to the fact that it's written in C.

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (09/12/88)

In article <2351@alliant.Alliant.COM> rosenkra@alliant.UUCP (Bill Rosenkranz) writes:
>having just seen the latest list of GNU goodies at osu-cis, could
>someone tell me what "MIT C Scheme" is?

Scheme is a Lisp, and C Scheme is a Scheme written in C, and MIT C
Scheme is a C Scheme that came from MIT.  I understand that there are
others.

Please note that MIT C Scheme is not a product of the Free Software
Foundation.  It is distributed by FSF as another free software system,
but comes from Abelson and Sussman's group at MIT, not RMS's group at
FSF.  People may get uptight at mis-attributions, even of free
software.

>it would (in general) be nice to have a one line description of what
>each archive contains

That's a good idea.  We used to have brief descriptions of each item
in the GNU.how-to-get instructions, but as the set of things we
distribute grew, the descriptions went by the wayside in the interests
of abbreviating the instruction file.  I'll see if I can come up with
some one-liners.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
What a COINCIDENCE!  I'm an authorized ``SNOOTS OF THE STARS'' dealer!!