[comp.sources.d] v04i083: 3demo program - part 1 of 4

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (09/21/88)

This is ridiculous.  A 4 part posting, which BSA says he has no idea what
it does.  There's no indication what OS, machine type, or anything.  Who
would even try to figure out what it will do to their system?
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1@ames.arc.nasa.gov

This program is for a 68000 running CP/M-68K and GEM, with a bitmapped
graphics display. I strongly suspect it's for the Atari ST, since after
the Apple threat Digital Research seems to have abandoned further 68000
GEM work. Isn't there an Atari ST sources group for this sort of thing?

Disclaimer: It's been nearly 2 years since I hacked on an Atari ST, so
I may be totally wrong.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter@ficc.uu.net

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (09/23/88)

In article <1571@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>This program is for a 68000 running CP/M-68K and GEM, with a bitmapped
>graphics display. I strongly suspect it's for the Atari ST, since after
>the Apple threat Digital Research seems to have abandoned further 68000
>GEM work. Isn't there an Atari ST sources group for this sort of thing?
>
>Disclaimer: It's been nearly 2 years since I hacked on an Atari ST, so
>I may be totally wrong.

You're not wrong.  Part 4 of 4 explains, in gory detail, what it is,
what it does, and why it exists.

On an unrelated subject:

I would like to vote for changing the "Subject:" lines of multi-part
postings to be all identical, and have the part numbers be somewhere
else.  This is so that the "-S" option of rn can find all of the parts
of a posting before moving onto the next subject.  With the part
numbers in the subject line, each part becomes effectively a different
subject as far as rn is concerned.

Thanks.

Greg Wageman			ARPA:  greg%sentry@spar.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	BIX:   gwage
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:   74016,352
San Jose, CA 95110		GEnie: GWAGEMAN
(408) 437-5198			UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!sentry!greg
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (09/24/88)

In article <1571@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>This program is for a 68000 running CP/M-68K and GEM, with a bitmapped
>graphics display. I strongly suspect it's for the Atari ST, since after
>--
>Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
>"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter@ficc.uu.net

You are right- it is for the ST running TOS/GEM but wrt to PC's
and GEM ---- GEM is back for the PC/XT market; I know of a NEW
commercial package that has adopted DRI GEM on PC/XT's. I don't
know if GEM for the PC can be obtained directly from DRI or only
bundled with aftermarket software packages.

john@basser.oz (John Mackin) (09/26/88)

In article <469@snjsn1.SJ.ATE.SLB.COM>,
	greg%sentry@spar.slb.com (Greg Wageman) writes:

> I would like to vote for changing the "Subject:" lines of multi-part
> postings to be all identical, and have the part numbers be somewhere
> else.  This is so that the "-S" option of rn can find all of the parts
> of a posting before moving onto the next subject.

Well, I admit I wouldn't mind being able to `k' a whole source
in one go.  But how hard is it just to hit `n' n times?  Not very.
Not nearly as hard as it would be to work out whether all the
parts were there, and which parts weren't, if the `=' command
couldn't display the part numbers.  In my view that outweighs
the other considerations.  So please keep the part numbers in
the Subject: header -- and let's hear it for an early release
of rn 5.0!

John Mackin, Basser Department of Computer Science,
	     University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia

john@basser.oz.AU (john%basser.oz.AU@UUNET.UU.NET)
{uunet,mcvax,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!basser.oz!john

mpp@uf.msc.umn.edu (Mike Pritchard) (09/27/88)

In article <1490@basser.oz> john@basser.oz (John Mackin) writes:

>Well, I admit I wouldn't mind being able to `k' a whole source
>in one go.  But how hard is it just to hit `n' n times?  Not very.
>
>John Mackin, Basser Department of Computer Science,
>	     University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia

Actually, for those of us reading news via NNTP, hitting 'n' can take
a while since each article must be transfered to to the machine you
are reading news from.  For a one or two part source this is not much
of a bother, but when you get 10+ very large parts using 'n' is not the
solution.  I usually wind up doing something like '/source name/k' from
within rn.
It would be nice if rn coule do this for me.
--
Mike Pritchard
Internet: mpp@uf.msc.umn.edu

tb%bilbo.irb@unido.uucp (Torsten Beyer) (09/27/88)

In article <469@snjsn1.SJ.ATE.SLB.COM> greg%sentry@spar.slb.com (Greg Wageman) writes:
>I would like to vote for changing the "Subject:" lines of multi-part
>postings to be all identical, and have the part numbers be somewhere
>else.  This is so that the "-S" option of rn can find all of the parts
>of a posting before moving onto the next subject.
> [..]
Well,
You CAN save parts of a multi-part posting from within rn without having to
type too much. Simply say :
		/.*3demo.*/s<whereveryouwannasavethisfile>
Ok, it's not too clever, as this will also save any other posting with
/.*3demo.*/ matching the subject line, but this doesn't occur too often.
For me this works pretty well

		-Torsten

Torsten Beyer                               e-mail : tb@unido.uucp
University of Dortmund                               ..uunet!unido!tb
IRB                                                  tb@unido.bitnet
P.O.Box 500500
D-4600 Dortmund 50                          voice  : +49 231 7552422
West-Germany

I speak only for myself (and usually only to myself :-)

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (09/28/88)

In article <1490@basser.oz>, john@basser (John Mackin) writes:

[Discussions how to kill all of the parts x on n]

>But how hard is it just to hit `n' n times?

> let's hear it for an early release of rn 5.0!

If you are using the GNUemacs gnews package, you can do this:

hit "K" to permanently kill the current subject

hit "esc-k" to edit the hook buffer, removing the "part x of n"

Very nice! (well, it has a FEW bugs :-)

(I suppose you could use "control-K" in rn also.)