[comp.sources.d] v04i121: large digital clock

amos@taux02.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (10/12/88)

The file digits.c  is a textbook example  of how NOT to write  C (or any
structured programming language, for that  matter). Didn't this guy ever
hear about loops and two-dimensional arrays of strings?!
--
	Amos Shapir				amos@nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (10/13/88)

In article <201@taux02.UUCP> amos@taux02.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
>The file digits.c  is a textbook example  of how NOT to write  C (or any
>structured programming language, for that  matter). Didn't this guy ever
>hear about loops and two-dimensional arrays of strings?!

Hi Amos.  Yes, I've heard of multi-dimensional arrays.  Yup, the way
it's done in digits.c is inelegant.  But, it works, it causes no
performance problems, it does not make the executable file much
larger, and its easy to understand.

I didn't design the thing.  All I did personally was to clean up some
of it and to post it.  Amos, why don't *YOU* fix it and post your
improved version.

--
George M. Sipe,		Phone: (404) 662-1533
Tolerant Systems, 6961 Peachtree Industrial, Norcross, GA  30071