[comp.sources.d] MicroEmacs BUG BUG BUG!!!

root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (10/09/88)

Micro Emacs 3.9e.

There is no @#$@#$@# way to delete the current replace string!!!

I read the manual that comes with it, and I can't find any way to
unset the default replace string, so that once you have replaced
with (something) in a session, the only way to start replacing with
(nothing) again is to restart the editor!!!!!

Now, obviously, I *MUST* be wrong, there *MUST* be a way to do it..

Please, SOMEONE, tell me how?

*sigh*

--
Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42@andrew or jl42@drycas

edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (David MacKenzie) (10/11/88)

In article <174@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:

>Micro Emacs 3.9e.
>
>There is no @#$@#$@# way to delete the current replace string!!!
>
>I read the manual that comes with it, and I can't find any way to
>unset the default replace string, so that once you have replaced
>with (something) in a session, the only way to start replacing with
>(nothing) again is to restart the editor!!!!!

Here's how:

M-x execute-command-line set $replace ""

If you want to do this frequently, you could wrap it in a numbered macro
and bind a key to it.

-----
David MacKenzie
Environmental Defense Fund
edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (...rutgers!cmcl2!rocky2!edf)

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (10/11/88)

In article <174@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:
>Micro Emacs 3.9e.
>There is no @#$@#$@# way to delete the current replace string!!!
>
>I read the manual that comes with it, and I can't find any way to
>unset the default replace string, so that once you have replaced
>with (something) in a session, the only way to start replacing with
>(nothing) again is to restart the editor!!!!!
>Please, SOMEONE, tell me how?
>--
>Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu

Jay,
	try:

	^XA$replace<NL><NL>

	or in the macro language:

	set $replace ""

	I admit this is clumbsy, I am looking for an alternative.

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	1:201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533

wille@hpccc.HP.COM (Ross Wille) (10/11/88)

I have this problem too.  If there is a solution, please let us know!

Ross Wille - Hewlett Packard
wille@hplabs.hp.com

decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty) (10/12/88)

In article <7942@j.cc.purdue.edu> nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Daniel Lawrence) writes:
>In article <174@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:
>>Micro Emacs 3.9e.
>>There is no @#$@#$@# way to delete the current replace string!!!
>>
>>[...]
>
>Jay,	try:
>
>	^XA$replace<NL><NL>
>[...]
>	I admit this is clumbsy, I am looking for an alternative.

 I suggest a flag (#define noreplace) which action, when TRUE,  is to not
keep replace string initialised (always null).
Or ^K as the first char of the new replace string erases the old one.

    ----- Bertrand DECOUTY @ INRIA-IRISA (Centre de Rennes) -----
+------------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| IRISA - INRIA                |  EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr                    |
| Campus de Beaulieu           |  					      |
| F-35042 Rennes Cedex         |  UUCP  : {uunet,mcvax,inria}!irisa!decouty   |
| FRANCE                       |          decouty@irisa.UUCP                  |
+--------------------------+---+--------------------+-------------------------+
| PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00 | TELEX : 950473 UNIRISA | FAX  : +33  99 38 38 32 |
+--------------------------+------------------------+-------------------------+

mdm@cocktrice.uucp (Mike Mitchell) (10/13/88)

In article <174@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:
>I read the manual that comes with it, and I can't find any way to
>unset the default replace string, so that once you have replaced
>with (something) in a session, the only way to start replacing with
>(nothing) again is to restart the editor!!!!!
At first I thought "who really cares?" But, it might be nice to be able
to replace something with NULL (take it out). If anyone has a patch for
this, please share!

Thanks

--
Mike Mitchell
mdm@cocktrice.uucp

peterson@mips.csc.ti.com (Bob Peterson) (10/15/88)

In article <174@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:

>Micro Emacs 3.9e.
>
>There is no @#$@#$@# way to delete the current replace string!!!
>
>Please, SOMEONE, tell me how?

  I enter, into an otherwise empty buffer this:
	replace-string "old string" ""
then I return to the buffer I'm editing and do M-Xexecute-buffer, giving
as the buffer name the one containing the replace-string command.  Works
for me!

   Hardcopy    and       Electronic Addresses:        Office:
Bob Peterson           Compuserve: 70235,326          NB 2nd Floor CSC Aisle C3
P.O. Box 861686        Usenet: peterson@csc.ti.com
Plano, Tx USA 75086    (214) 995-6080 (work) or (214) 596-3720 (ans. machine)