[comp.sources.d] Wanderer

niggle@hjuxa.UUCP (niggle) (07/13/88)

Is it possible to get the two diamonds from the middle of the left side
of screen 2? I end up either squished, trapped or the other side of a mound
of boulders from the diamonds.

My boss is going to hate Steven for posting this game but I thank you.

	Nigel

tim@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup) (07/15/88)

From article <970@hjuxa.UUCP>, by niggle@hjuxa.UUCP (niggle):
> Is it possible to get the two diamonds from the middle of the left side
> of screen 2? I end up either squished, trapped or the other side of a mound
> of boulders from the diamonds.
>

> 	Nigel

Minor spoiler follows:

To get there, you use the transporter -- it places you into that area, so
you can grab the diamonds, then move straight out.

It took me a few times around to get this too.

								-- Tim

> My boss is going to hate Steven for posting this game but I thank you.

	Agreed :-)
--
Tim Northrup      		  +------------------------------------------+
+---------------------------------+         GEnie:  T.Northrup               |

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (07/16/88)

Speaking of wanderer... I couldn't get it to work properly on our Harris
HCX-7, running HCX/UX 3.0.  It dumps core if it can't find the screen files
or you die (bus error) and it sometimes locks or simply exits for no reason.
Can anyone help?

		Thanks
--
    Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner     |
   Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                      |        This space

play@cwi.nl (The MC Funhouse Master) (07/16/88)

In article <246@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (Bill Fenner) writes:
 > Speaking of wanderer... I couldn't get it to work properly on our Harris
 > HCX-7, running HCX/UX 3.0.  It dumps core if it can't find the screen files
 > or you die (bus error) and it sometimes locks or simply exits for no reason.
 > Can anyone help?

Yes, a few of the bugs in the program.  First: the core dump when it can't
find the screen files come from a badly placed fclose in read.c.  Locking might
happen when the game is aborted during updating of the score files.  Future
games are no longer possible unless the lock file (/tmp/wanderer.lock) is
removed.  Note that on some systems only the owner of the file may remove it.

I have got it running on a Harris with BSD 4.3, so I think it should run
also with HCX/UX.  If you mail me some further details I may work on some
fixes.  I did do a lot of fixes already; see comp.sources.games.bugs.
--
Game Keeper
Mail: play@cwi.nl

tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) (07/18/88)

In article <970@hjuxa.UUCP> niggle@hjuxa.UUCP (niggle) writes:
>Is it possible to get the two diamonds from the middle of the left side
>of screen 2?

Yes, it is.  I too, thought it was impossible, and wondered if I should
waste my time.  I then found the solution, so don't despair, and have
fun hunting.

I am now thinking that level 3 is impossible. :-).

Tom Tkacik

wolfer@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Wolfson) (07/21/88)

From postnews Wed Jul 20 14:35:44 1988

In article <246@psuhcx.psu.edu>, wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:
> Speaking of wanderer... I couldn't get it to work properly on our Harris
> HCX-7, running HCX/UX 3.0.  It dumps core if it can't find the screen files
> or you die (bus error) and it sometimes locks or simply exits for no reason.
> Can anyone help?

I'll take a crack at the core dump and bus error. First, make sure you
edit the header file as described in the README file, so that
the program knows the full path of where the screen files
will be kept and where the hiscores scoreboard data file
will be kept. Second, when a character dies, the game tries to
put it in the scoreboard file. If the directory for this
file is not correctly specified in the .h file, it could
cause problems.  Otherwise, try creating an empty hiscores file
by hand in the appropriate directory, and make sure that the
read/write permissions are set correctly.
I've used machines where C code will bomb out
if you try and open a file which does not already exist, and this may
be what is happening here.

As for the unknown exiting,
On my unixpc 7300, if I hit the delete key by mistake, the program
will exit and the keyboard will totally lock up. I have to
boot the whole machine to clear this up.

Of course, I am only guessing as to what might be wrong in your case.
Hopefully someone else can give you more clues to the core dumps and
bus errors, and to the unexpected exits.

Good Luck!

P. D. Wolfson

From postnews Wed Jul 20 14:39:09 1988
From postnews Wed Jul 20 14:35:44 1988

In article <246@psuhcx.psu.edu>, wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:
> Speaking of wanderer... I couldn't get it to work properly on our Harris
> HCX-7, running HCX/UX 3.0.  It dumps core if it can't find the screen files
> or you die (bus error) and it sometimes locks or simply exits for no reason.
> Can anyone help?

I'll take a crack at the core dump and bus error. First, make sure you
edit the header file as described in the README file, so that
the program knows the full path of where the screen files
will be kept and where the hiscores scoreboard data file
will be kept. Second, when a character dies, the game tries to
put it in the scoreboard file. If the directory for this
file is not correctly specified in the .h file, it could
cause problems.  Otherwise, try creating an empty hiscores file
by hand in the appropriate directory, and make sure that the
read/write permissions are set correctly.
I've used machines where C code will bomb out
if you try and open a file which does not already exist, and this may
be what is happening here.

As for the unknown exiting,
On my unixpc 7300, if I hit the delete key by mistake, the program
will exit and the keyboard will totally lock up. I have to
boot the whole machine to clear this up.

Of course, I am only guessing as to what might be wrong in your case.
Hopefully someone else can give you more clues to the core dumps and
bus errors, and to the unexpected exits.

Good Luck!

P. D. Wolfson

her3@tank.uchicago.edu (Ben 'Drew' Herman) (11/23/88)

I just read that a New version of wanderer has been released.
Version 2.2 I believe.... My problem is I never had the original
to apply the diffs to.... Now, whereas I may believe the author
exists, may mailer denies the existance of his machine....
If the author reads this group would it be possible to have a repost
the working version.  Or better yet is there an accessible
FTP site where wnaderer is archived?????

Thanks a lot,
Ben Herman

wmf@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Fischer) (11/24/88)

In article <887@tank.uchicago.edu> her3@tank.uchicago.edu (Ben 'Drew' Herman) writes:
>If the author reads this group would it be possible to have a repost
>the working version.

I seem to have missed it here, also. A repost would be appreciated.

Bill Fischer

                                 Bill Fischer        | UUCP: wmf@chinet.UUCP
"The opinions expressed here     Omega Electronics   | CIS : 76257,1226
 are my own"                     Chicago, Illinois   | MCI : 650311, KIEFER