[comp.sources.d] GNU X-chess problem.

ed@maven.UUCP (Ed Hand) (12/08/88)

Happy Holidays netters,

Well, I got my hands on the GNU X-chess sources, now I got to make
it work.  For others interested I found two problems.

1. std.h calls for including <strings.h>.  Don't know if this is
   peculiar to SYSV or what but I only have a string.h(no plural)
   and it works fine, maybe.

2. xchess.c line 80 uses a signal(SIGCHLD, die). Now again on my
   system signal.h only defines a SIGCLD.  If the line in xchess.c
   is for death of a child process I guess I'm ok, maybe.

Now for the one I don't know a thing about:
$make all

    co message.c
co error:Can't find RCS/message.c,v nor message.c,v
***error code 1

stop.
$

This means Nada to me.  The only message.* file is message.c.UU
What is it, I don't know that much about this kind of stuff.  The
file don't look like any C file I ever seen.  What is co?  I realize
this is just a lack knoledge on my part but maybe I can convince
someone to enlighten me.

				Much thanks in advance...
				Ed Hand@Intergraph Corp.
   /---\               |   ...I may be crazy...     |
  ( o o )    *   The   |   ...But it just might be  |   Ed Hand
  \  '  /   ***  Mad   |   a lunatic your looking   |   Intergraph Corp.
   \ ^ /    /*   One   |   for...                   |   {ihnp4,uunet}
    ---\___/           |             Billy Joel     |    !ingr!b11!maven!ed

roberto@cwi.nl (Rob ten Kroode) (12/09/88)

#
#    co message.c
#co error:Can't find RCS/message.c,v nor message.c,v
#***error code 1
#
#stop.
#$

In the distribution are two uuencoded files (message.c.UU and record.c.UU).
You should first decode them: uudecode <file>. Now you have message.c and
record.c . Do a 'make' again and it'll work.

Now for my own problem:
I compiled everything and tried playing:

% xchess -c -p ~/bin/gnuchessr

xchess starts, draws a board, and lets me make the first move.
Now the problem started: I get messages like "wrong player" or something like
that. After that the program dies (SIGCHLD).

What is wrong ????

Rob.

PS I tried it with gnuchess as well as gnuchessr.

--
Rob ten Kroode (roberto@cwi.nl)   | rule #1 : I am _always_ right.
                                  | rule #2 : If I am not right, apply rule #1.
"I'm your icecream man; stop me when I'm passin' by..."  Van Halen

pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) (12/11/88)

In article <658@maven.UUCP> ed@maven.UUCP (Ed Hand) writes:
>    co message.c
>co error:Can't find RCS/message.c,v nor message.c,v
>***error code 1
>
>stop.
>$
>
>This means Nada to me.  The only message.* file is message.c.UU
>What is it, I don't know that much about this kind of stuff.  The

My guess is that it is a uuencoded file (UU).
Try uudecode(1).

filler