[comp.sources.d] Remote control of PC via modem

mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin Francis Ryba) (12/01/88)

I have a problem, and am getting a little exasperated by now....

I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.  I don't want the
graphics (just tty), so I can do this from any machine.  I've looked at
various communications programs (mskermit,BitCom, etc..) and have yet to
find one that will do.  "Answering capability" is a joke with most of
them, since they all require someone at the keyboard still.  I mean
REMOTE control: this thing is going to be operating a telescope 500
miles from the lab.  I don't relish the idea of writing a device driver
from scratch.  What do people who run BBS's do?  I have MKS Toolkit and
all languages of import, so a variety of methods are open once I figure
out how to address the COM port to control the modem (Hayes-compatible).

I currently get a write error if I simply write stuff to COM.

Thanks in advance for help on this.

Marty Ryba (slave physics grad student)
They don't care if I exist, let alone care about my opinions!

gpmenos@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (G. Philippe Menos) (12/01/88)

In article <4652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU () writes:
>I have a problem, and am getting a little exasperated by now....
>
>I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.  I don't want the
>graphics (just tty), so I can do this from any machine.  I've looked at
>various communications programs (mskermit,BitCom, etc..) and have yet to

Have you looked at a product called "PCanywhere" or "CarbonCopy";  maybe
even Procomm will fit the bill.

-Phil

tif@cpe.UUCP (12/01/88)

In article <4652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU () writes:
>I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.

Just wanted to make sure that you have looked into the 'ctty' command...?

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			bellcore!motown!sys1!cpe!tif

nanook@novavax.UUCP (Keith Dickinson) (12/01/88)

in article <4652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin Francis Ryba) says:

> I have a problem, and am getting a little exasperated by now....
>
> I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.  I don't want the
> graphics (just tty), so I can do this from any machine.  I've looked at
> various communications programs (mskermit,BitCom, etc..) and have yet to
> find one that will do.  "Answering capability" is a joke with most of
> them, since they all require someone at the keyboard still.  I mean
> REMOTE control: this thing is going to be operating a telescope 500
> miles from the lab.  I don't relish the idea of writing a device driver
> from scratch.  What do people who run BBS's do?  I have MKS Toolkit and
> all languages of import, so a variety of methods are open once I figure
> out how to address the COM port to control the modem (Hayes-compatible).

No problem. I use Procomm (any version) in "Host Mode". It has a "password"
controle setup so that you can allow yourself to "shell to dos". Whenever
you allow a remote process to drop to dos you need to have (somehow... be it
batch or the shelling program) the command `ctty com?` executed so that the
command.com interpreter will read com? instead of the keyboard.

Most of your modem programs for the PC come with host-modes that will allow
remote shell to dos functions. All you will probably need to do is add the
batch with the ctty command. If you have any more questions about ctty there
is complete doccumentation in the DOS manuals.

> I currently get a write error if I simply write stuff to COM.

Unusual... Unless you are simply saying copy filename com without a port #
on the com... anything that can handle files should be able to talk to the
com port.

> Thanks in advance for help on this.
>
> Marty Ryba (slave physics grad student)
> They don't care if I exist, let alone care about my opinions!

No problem... If you have any further questions you can reach me at any
of the addresses below.

Keith Dickinson
------
_   /|  | Fidonet  : 369/2 [(305) 421-8593] Brave Mew World South
\'o.O'  | Internet : nanook@muadib.FIDONET.ORG
=(___)= | UUCP     : (novavax,hoptoad!ankh)!muadib!nanook | nanook@novavax
   U    | USNail   : 433 SE 13th CT. J-202, Deerfield Beach, Fl. 33441
  Ack!  | Disclamer: This message was created by a faulty AI program.
Don't blame me...I voted for Bill'n'Opus in '88

starr@shuxd.UUCP (Michael L. Starr) (12/01/88)

In article <4652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU () writes:
>I have a problem, and am getting a little exasperated by now....
>
>I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.  I don't want the
>graphics (just tty), so I can do this from any machine. ...  I mean
>REMOTE control: this thing is going to be operating a telescope 500
>miles from the lab.

I have had great success with Carbon Copy.  I use it to access every
board on my machine, including IRMA and LAN.  Carbon Copy turns
your local keyboard into your remote keyboard, and your local screen
into your remote screen. (i.e. if a character, including graphics, appears
on your remote screen, it is duplicated on your local screen).  The
keyboard mapping is so good, that if you have any "hot" keys for TSR
programs, it will active the TSR remotely.  I've been using Carbon Copy
for about two years, and have just ordered an upgrade to 5.0.
--
 __/\__  ********************  __/\__	|	starr@shuxd.att.com
 \    /  * Michael L. Starr *  \    /	|	att!shuxd!starr

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (12/02/88)

in article <4652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin Francis Ryba) says:
> I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.  I don't want the
I have heard of two products that might help you:
REMOTE PC-2
(800) 241-6393

PC ANYWHERE
The phone number escapes me, but they advertise in Byte every month.
---
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM		(408) 435-5274
		...pyramid!ctnews!mitisft!professo!dold
		P.O.Box 6685, San Jose, CA 95150-6685
--
---
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM		(408) 435-5274
		...pyramid!ctnews!mitisft!professo!dold
		P.O.Box 6685, San Jose, CA 95150-6685

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (12/02/88)

Re: Remote control of PC

Try checking out the ProComm terminal emulator program.  It has a facility
called "host mode" that will allow the PC to answer the modem, and let you
"logon".  Once you get passed the password check, you can then take over the
system.  All keyboard and output that would normally have gone to your
normal keyboard and screen, now is funnelled through the modem.  As long as
you don't invoke a program that reads and writes the video (e.g. a full
screen editor) you remain in complete control.

I've used this to get stuff to/from my home machine when I am at the office.

--
---------------------
Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh

rbono@necis.UUCP (Rich Bono) (12/02/88)

In article <4652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin Francis Ryba) writes:
> I have a problem, and am getting a little exasperated by now....
>
> I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.  I don't want the
> graphics (just tty), so I can do this from any machine.  I've looked at

	... deleted stuff...

> Marty Ryba (slave physics grad student)
> They don't care if I exist, let alone care about my opinions!

	Ok, I have developed DOSGATE, a DEVICE driver that runs under
DOS... it replaces the console driver (IE: ANSI.SYS)... and allows one
to control the machine via the serial port, AND the console... It was
developed for Amateur Packet Radio use, but I tried to make it flexible
enough so one could control the machine via a modem, or even an RS-232
line.

	It DOES NOT protect from the remote user destroying your machine,
but the DOS's do give some hints on that...

	It will allow you to run ANY MS-DOS specific program.. That is
ANY software the does NOT do it's I/O via DOS calls (ie: BIOS calls
or directly accessing the hardware will bypass the DOSGATE) won't work.

	I am now in Beta test... I hope to distribute as shareware...

Could this help you?  If you write your programs in 'C' and don't access
the hardware directly (ie: printf's scanf's for I/O will work fine) then
it will work... I have noticed that BASIC (even compiled Basic) directly
accesses the hardware and bypasses the device driver...

			Rich Bono, NM1D

 /**************************************************************************\
 * Rich Bono (NM1D)                                     rbono@necis.nec.com *
 * (508) 635-6303      NEC Information Systems          NM1D @ WB1DSW-1     *
 \**************************************************************************/

--
 /**************************************************************************\

sic@ritcsh.UUCP (Eric A. Neulight) (12/03/88)

In article <4652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU () writes:
>I have a problem, and am getting a little exasperated by now....
>
>I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.  I don't want the
>graphics (just tty), so I can do this from any machine.  I've looked at
>various communications programs (mskermit,BitCom, etc..) and have yet to
>find one that will do.  "Answering capability" is a joke with most of
>them, since they all require someone at the keyboard still.  I mean
>REMOTE control: this thing is going to be operating a telescope 500
>miles from the lab.  I don't relish the idea of writing a device driver
>from scratch.  What do people who run BBS's do?  I have MKS Toolkit and
>all languages of import, so a variety of methods are open once I figure
>out how to address the COM port to control the modem (Hayes-compatible).

The best (and most user transparent and simple to use) package I have
seen is written and sold by a company called "Robec" based in Horsham, PA.
The name of the package is "SoloCom" and allows you to do just about
anything but change floppies from the remote location.
  A few for-intances ...
      file transfers in the background (while you are doing something else)
      auto call/answer.
      chat mode.
      printer redirection from remote.
      enable/disable remote display and keyboard.
      remote reboot.
      do DOS things locally while still connected to remote.
      very fast (works at any baud rate your PCs can mannage.)
      fully configurable.
      password and license protection (if you wish).

It sounds to me like you want to get at the actual guts of the
package.  Not just control a program which is running on the remote
end, but actually interfacing to the packages low level communications
protocol.  SoloCom uses some sort of fully packetized protocol with
full error detection and retry.  Supposedly, in a future release, they
intend to allow user programs to send/receive their own packets
via some user interface calls.

Sorry if all this seems disjoint, but I am banging this out in a hurry
and going from memory.

Check it out.

CLAIMER:  Well -- I wrote it!                       Eric Alan Neulight
"Nothing is Impossible -- Just Impractical."      Electrical Engineering
"For every Lock, there is a Key."                 Computer Science House
"INSANITY is just a state of mine."         Rochester Institute of Technology
    BITNET: EAN4762@RITVAX         UUCP: ...!rutgers!rochester!rit!ritcsh!sic

root@unibase.UUCP (Super User) (12/03/88)

From article <4652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin Francis Ryba):

> I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.  I don't want the
> graphics (just tty), so I can do this from any machine.

etc.

No communication software of any kind is required for this kind of
control.  Assuming that you want to run standard software (ie: it calls
the standard MS-DOS calls for input and output), commands exist within
MS-DOS that will permit control to be passed to a communication port.

The basis of the solution is the 'ctty' command, which shifts the command
input/output from the keyboard/screen to a com port.

The problem is that the cable required between the modem and the computer
has to be jumpered all over the place.  I can't remember the cable I wound
up using;  solve the problem with a breakout box and a pile of jumpers.

Best approach is:  take a PC and a terminal (ignore the modem for now),
and get the PC to the point that these commands:

mode com1: 1200,n,8,1
ctty com1:

will give control to the terminal.  DON'T DESPAIR!!! It can be done with
the right jumpers on the cable.

If I remember correctly, simple jumpering on the PC end does not work,
because the ctty command does not cause the PC to assert anything at
all on its' com port.  Find a pin on the terminal that is asserted when
it's on, and connect it to 4,5,6,8, and 20 on the PC end (this is a
guaranteed jump - no matter what mode - DTE or DCE - the PC uses).
HINT: the PC transmits data on pin 2.  Most terminals transmit on pin
2 as well, so you will need to invert 2 & 3.  Connect pin 7 to 7.

Once you have that working, try this for a modem connection:

	set the modem for carrier detect on only when connected;
	set the modem to ignore DTR, and answer on the first ring;
	connect 4,5,6 8 and 20 on the PC to 8 on the modem;
	connect 2 to 2, 3 to 3, and 7 to 7;

And give it a try.

The nice thing about the ctty solution is that it works very well with
all software that follows the ms-dos convention for character input/
output.  NB: screen-based programs that address video ram directly will
NOT function with this solution - however, you can edit with edlin, copy,
start other comm programs, etc..  ALL ms-dos commands function.

Good luck.

jamesd@lakesys.UUCP (James Dicke) (12/05/88)

In article <519@mitisft.Convergent.COM> dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
>in article <4652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin Francis Ryba) says:
>> I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.  I don't want the
>I have heard of two products that might help you:
>REMOTE PC-2
>(800) 241-6393
>
>PC ANYWHERE
>The phone number escapes me, but they advertise in Byte every month.
>---

Still, one of the best that allows you to run any program (even lotus) remotly
is called "Carbin Copy Plus" and runs about $100 per computer.

 |  overlord@abyss.UUCP  |  {backbone,uunet}!marque!lakesys!abyss!overlord  |
%|-----------------------+--------------------------------------------------|
%| "God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent- it says so right here on |
%| the label."  God is a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs.  ** Space for rent ** |
%|__________________________________________________________________________|
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

geertj@nlgvax.UUCP (Geert Jan de Groot) (12/05/88)

In article <104@unibase.UUCP> root@unibase.UUCP (Super User) writes:
[About remote controlling a PC via a modem]
>The basis of the solution is the 'ctty' command, which shifts the command
>input/output from the keyboard/screen to a com port.

I wonder how the ctty command works. In particular, is it possible to
do the same (that is, redirect input/output) from a C program?
I wonder if it is possible to do:

main()
{
	ctty(whatever);
	system("\\command.com");
}

and what the ctty() function should look like.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards,
Geert Jan

-.-.- --... ...--   -.. .   .--. . .---- .... --.. --. .-.-.

Geert Jan de Groot,			Email: geertj@nlgvax.pcg.philips.nl
Philips Research Laboratories,		Packet: PE1HZG @ PI8ZAA
Project Centre Geldrop,			AMPRNET: [44.137.24.3]
Building XR, Room 15,
Willem Alexanderlaan 7B,		"When in doubt,
5664 AN Geldrop, The Netherlands.	 tune for minimum smoke
phone: +31 40 892204			 and then consult a reference"
[Standard disclaimers apply]		-(Found in a manual)

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (12/06/88)

In article <104@unibase.UUCP> root@unibase.UUCP (Super User) writes:
>No communication software of any kind is required for this kind of
>control.  Assuming that you want to run standard software (ie: it calls
>the standard MS-DOS calls for input and output), commands exist within
>MS-DOS that will permit control to be passed to a communication port.
>
>The basis of the solution is the 'ctty' command, which shifts the command
>input/output from the keyboard/screen to a com port.

You must be joking.  Obviously you've never tried this.  In theory,
it works fine, but in practice it's useless.  For instance the first
time you press the backspace key, you'll crash the computer.  Get
Real.

Carbon Copy Plus, PC Anywhere, and Closeup, are all readily available
programs that will allow complete computer control over the comm
port, however.  Everything works, including function keys, memory
mapped video, cursor keys, etc.
--
Rick Farris
RF Engineering       |  rfarris@serene.cts.com  | voice     619 259-6793

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (12/06/88)

In article <190@serene.UUCP>, rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) writes:
> In article <104@unibase.UUCP> root@unibase.UUCP (Super User) writes:
> >No communication software of any kind is required for this kind of
> >control.
> >
> >The basis of the solution is the 'ctty' command, which shifts the command
> >input/output from the keyboard/screen to a com port.
>
> You must be joking.  Obviously you've never tried this.

*sigh*  I've tried it, and Rick is right -- it's useless without some kind
of software package to overcome the basic defects.  It was a great idea --
but so was "An autogiro in every garage" from the 1930's -- or am I just
showing my age again?

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) (12/07/88)

In article <229@ritcsh.UUCP> sic@ritcsh.UUCP (Eric A. Neulight) writes:
>In article <4652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mfryba@phoenix.Princeton.EDU () writes:
>>I have a problem, and am getting a little exasperated by now....
>>
>>I want to remotely control a AT via the modem port.  I don't want the
>>graphics (just tty), so I can do this from any machine.

I didn't see the original posting, but I have some info re the topic:
Call this number for fun: (619) 481-1753   (1200-n-8-1, wait 60 seconds
after you get a carrier then hit RETURN) to find out about:

o  A gadget that turns on the PC's power when the modem answers
   (you may not want this if the PC is left on all the time)

o  Some .BAT files that let you CHOOSE, over the COM1: port, which
   of several remote control progs you want to run (like PROCOMM,
   PC-Anywhere, or just dumb CTTY mode).

If you can't replicate the same results with the .BAT files,
call me by voice at (619) 436-7608.  I'll be happy to try and help.
You may have to do some mode-like things to your modem (I did).

- Jay

Jay Bowden, EE/Consultant; see also Bowden Engineering
Currently contracted at Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!ucsd!loral!jcb

kjohn@CTIX.uucp (John K. Counsulatant) (12/09/88)

	I too have an AT and would like to run it remotely.  What I need is
the ability to see the text output (don't need or have graphics :-) at the
remote end.  My reason for this is that our company runs it's day-to-day
operations on this AT, but the environment it is in is *extremely* dusty
(wood is being sawed, etc in the next room).  I don't know how long our AT
can survive this.  Please help us.....

					KJohn

I can be reached at:

RealTime:  1(312)418-1236  (6pm to 10:30pm central time)

USmail:    John Kjellman
           17302 Park Ave.
           Lansing IL 60438

E-Mail:    kjohn@richp1.UUCP
			or
           [ purdue | cs.ubc | mcdcchg ] ! richp1 ! kjohn
			or
           uunet ! richsun ! kjohn
| Amiga ///.5K| Disclaimer: This is only a dream, it's only a dream ........  |
| Manic///  1K|             KJohn, the man without an Amiga :-(               |
|  \\\///   2K|                  (how much is an A2500/3000 anyways? :-)      |
|   \XX/  2.5K| kjohn@richp1 or [ purdue | cs.ubc | mcdcchg ] ! richp1 ! kjohn|

ral@pyuxf.UUCP (Ronald A. Levenberg) (12/12/88)

 A commercial PC software package called PC-Anywhere allows
 any dumb terminal to log into a PC via modem and execute commands
 on the PC.  It's like having a remote console.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (12/13/88)

As quoted from <190@serene.UUCP> by rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris):
+---------------
| In article <104@unibase.UUCP> root@unibase.UUCP (Super User) writes:
| >The basis of the solution is the 'ctty' command, which shifts the command
| >input/output from the keyboard/screen to a com port.
|
| You must be joking.  Obviously you've never tried this.  In theory,
| it works fine, but in practice it's useless.  For instance the first
| time you press the backspace key, you'll crash the computer.  Get
| Real.
+---------------

Speak for your own brain-damaged machine.  I "bootstrapped" my Toshiba
laptop into being able to communicate by CTTY'ing it, running DEBUG, and
blasting DSZ.COM to it as DEBUG "E" commands.  I did type backspaces
occasionally in setting it up, and it didn't crash.  (For the curious:  I
then sz'd Procomm 2.4.2 onto it and zapped DSZ; without a thorough test of
its VT102 compatibility I won't use *any* communications program.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (12/14/88)

In article <13246@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>Speak for your own brain-damaged machine.  I "bootstrapped" my Toshiba
>laptop into being able to communicate by CTTY'ing it, running DEBUG, and
>blasting DSZ.COM to it as DEBUG "E" commands.  I did type backspaces
>occasionally in setting it up, and it didn't crash.  (For the curious:  I
>then sz'd Procomm 2.4.2 onto it and zapped DSZ; without a thorough test of
>its VT102 compatibility I won't use *any* communications program.)

Whoa, hold on a second.  No one has suggested that *application*
programs can't successfully use the serial port.  In fact most of us
have suggested using Carbon Copy, PC-Anywhere, Closeup, etc.  It's
DOS that can't handle things like backspace.

Had you hit a wrong key while you were calling up debug, and for
instance typed "debuh", and then tried to correct it by typing
backspace, your computer (yes, even your Toshiba laptop), would have
locked.  For reasons I won't go into, I've had occasion to use ctty
on a number of computers, and I've learned to be *very* careful.  For
instance, in the example I just posited, I would just hit the return
key, and let the computer tell me it couldn't find the command, and
then I would re-enter the command.

I do congratulate you on your novel use of debug, ctty, and dsz to
bootstrap external communications.  I remember getting an early
PS2/30, and trying to figure out (at 3AM) how to get software from my
5 1/4 inch disk equipped computer to it.  I thought of a lot of
things, but didn't think of using debug to bring in dsz.  Very
clever.
--
Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.cts.com     ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

rhartman@atexnet.UUCP (Robert Hartman) (12/16/88)

In article <13246@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>As quoted from <190@serene.UUCP> by rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris):
>+---------------
>| In article <104@unibase.UUCP> root@unibase.UUCP (Super User) writes:
>| >The basis of the solution is the 'ctty' command, which shifts the command
>| >input/output from the keyboard/screen to a com port.
>|
>| You must be joking.  Obviously you've never tried this.  In theory,
>| it works fine, but in practice it's useless.  For instance the first
>| time you press the backspace key, you'll crash the computer.  Get
>| Real.
>+---------------
>
>Speak for your own brain-damaged machine.  I "bootstrapped" my Toshiba
>laptop into being able to communicate by CTTY'ing it, running DEBUG, and
>blasting DSZ.COM to it as DEBUG "E" commands.  I did type backspaces
>occasionally in setting it up, and it didn't crash.  (For the curious:  I
>then sz'd Procomm 2.4.2 onto it and zapped DSZ; without a thorough test of
>its VT102 compatibility I won't use *any* communications program.)

The problem that was mentioned is quite real.  As a BBS operator, we find such
things pretty quickly, and also know the reasons it happens.  In general, if
the backspace key causes a machine to die during a CTTY session, it means that
the system normally has a DOS command 'helper' like CED installed.  This
will undoubtedly cause the system to hang.  Something inside CED doesn't like
backspaces during CTTY.  CTTY can also fail under DoubleDOS or DESQview if
it is not handled properly, or early versions of either program are in use.
Of course, CTTY COM1: will only get you into the BIOS polled mode, which will
undoubtedly miss characters if you are used to using type ahead (how can anyone
get along without that these days).  There are however, MANY solutions:

1. There is a program called GATEWAY which will effectively do a CTTY COM1: for
you when you call it with CTTY GATEWAY (or something like that).  It has the
added advantage of displaying everything on the local console also.  It even
interprets ASCII sequences.

2. In the FidoNet BBS world, there are things called "FOSSIL drivers".  These
drivers exist for MANY machines that are MS-DOS compatible (IBM, Rainbow,
Tandy, Heath, etc), and give a standard interface to interrupt driven serial
communications.  When one of these programs is used in addition to gateway,
it allows fully buffered, flow controlled access to the serial port.  Much more
useful than the normal polled mode.  The two most popular versions of these
programs for the PC are OPUSCOMM (generally found as OCOM_530.ARC) or X00 which
can be found as X00_110.ARC (or something like that).  As I mentioned, these
programs are available for MANY different machines, and allow programs like
the Fido BBS, UFGate (that Tim Pozar frequently mentions), and various other
BBS programs and FidoNet mail front-ends to work on a wide variety of machines.
BinkleyTerm for example (a FidoNet compatible mail front-end and terminal
program) is known to be running on Victor 9000's, Rainbows, Tandy 1000's (and
all other Tandy models that are MS-DOS machines), Sanyo 555's, and many other
architectures that are not quite clones, but run MS-DOS.

If you have a favorite Fido or Opus BBS system nearby, you can probably find
the programs listed above.  I no longer run a BBS, but rather run mail-only,
so my system will not be of much help unless you have a FidoNet compatible
system.  If you do, I run node 1:132/101 and you can file request FILES to
get a complete listing of what is available.

Everyone should keep in mind that operations like running programs through
serial ports is EXACTLY what BBS's do all the time.  You may not like to admit
it, but your local sysop might actually be a knowledge base that can help you
solve problems dealing with serial ports.

pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) (12/16/88)

In article <208@serene.UUCP> rfarris@serene.cts.com (Rick Farris) writes:

>Had you hit a wrong key while you were calling up debug, and for
>instance typed "debuh", and then tried to correct it by typing
>backspace, your computer (yes, even your Toshiba laptop), would have
>locked.  For reasons I won't go into, I've had occasion to use ctty
>on a number of computers, and I've learned to be *very* careful.  For
>instance, in the example I just posited, I would just hit the return
>key, and let the computer tell me it couldn't find the command, and
>then I would re-enter the command.

 Uh, the way I read what he said, he did something very like your example
without problems. I can speak for the AT&T PC 6300+, which does have problems
with flow control (as in, I havn't been able to get it to work), but allows
use of the backspace with no problem. Just don't try it with CED or some such,
things can get very complicated. I use CTTY on the AT&T at 9600 baud often.
File transfers are difficult, but I can run DOS utility functions and some
other programs (Zoo, for one) without difficulty.

>Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
>rfarris@serene.cts.com     ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

--
Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)
Tymnet, McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Company      POTS:408-922-7508

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (12/23/88)

As quoted from <310@antares.UUCP> by pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson):
+---------------
| In article <208@serene.UUCP> rfarris@serene.cts.com (Rick Farris) writes:
| >Had you hit a wrong key while you were calling up debug, and for
| >instance typed "debuh", and then tried to correct it by typing
| >backspace, your computer (yes, even your Toshiba laptop), would have
| >locked.  For reasons I won't go into, I've had occasion to use ctty
|
|  Uh, the way I read what he said, he did something very like your example
| without problems. I can speak for the AT&T PC 6300+, which does have problems
| with flow control (as in, I havn't been able to get it to work), but allows
| use of the backspace with no problem. Just don't try it with CED or some such,
+---------------

Precisely; I messed up my first attempt to load a small test program (I had
to enter the "N" command to DEBUG manually, and I typo'ed in the process);
backspacing to correct it worked fine.  Now, I don't know that CTTY works
perfectly on the T1000, but it certainly worked well enough for me to copy a
largeish COM file across as DEBUG "E" commands, modulo a few flow-control
glitches (it dropped the last line of the file, I always had to enter the
"RCX" command manually -- but it DID NOT crash).

MS-DOS is not necessarily identical across all computers.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

As quoted from <13278@ncoast.UUCP> by allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery):
+---------------
| backspacing to correct it worked fine.  Now, I don't know that CTTY works
| perfectly on the T1000, but it certainly worked well enough for me to copy a
| largeish COM file across as DEBUG "E" commands, modulo a few flow-control
+---------------

One more comment:  On my ITT XTRA running what identified itself as "ITT-DOS
2.11 version 1.00", CTTY hung the computer the instant COMMAND.COM tried to
get input.  It would output the prompt to the serial port and die, requiring
me to cycle power to recover.  This is yet another CTTY phenomenon that
doesn't fit Rick's statement that CTTY is broken the same way on all systems.

++Brandon
--

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (12/23/88)

In article <13278@ncoast.UUCP> albery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S.
Allbery) writes:

  Precisely; I messed up my first attempt to load a small test program
  (I had to enter the "N" command to DEBUG manually, and I typo'ed in
  the process); backspacing to correct it worked fine.

I stand corrected.  Although I rarely use any TSRs because they
*always* cause conflicts, I *do* use CED.  Someone earlier mentioned
that it is CED that goes gaga when the <bs> key is pressed.  I knew
there was a good reason not to use TSRs.  This is the first problem
I've had with CED in 2 years though.

---

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (12/30/88)

As quoted from <222@serene.UUCP> by rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris):
+---------------
| In article <13278@ncoast.UUCP> albery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S.
| Allbery) writes:
|
|   Precisely; I messed up my first attempt to load a small test program
|   (I had to enter the "N" command to DEBUG manually, and I typo'ed in
|   the process); backspacing to correct it worked fine.
|
| I stand corrected.  Although I rarely use any TSRs because they
| *always* cause conflicts, I *do* use CED.  Someone earlier mentioned
| that it is CED that goes gaga when the <bs> key is pressed.  I knew
| there was a good reason not to use TSRs.  This is the first problem
| I've had with CED in 2 years though.
+---------------

It's hardly surprising, though; after all, how often is CTTY *used*?  Even I
used it only long enough to install a terminal program on the system.  It
would be surprising if CED *did* work with CTTY, under the circumstances.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu
comp.sources.misc is moving off ncoast -- please do NOT send submissions direct
      Send comp.sources.misc submissions to comp-sources-misc@<backbone>.

dbinette@van-bc.UUCP (Dave Binette) (12/30/88)

The IBM BBS community has had a handle on this one for a long time. typically
they use a device driver loosely termed a 'buddy-driver' that allows
simultaneous use of the computer via modem *and* locally, typically to
facilitate on-line games.

Some of the popular drivers are,  GATEWAY2.SYS  IBMAUX.SYS
but the one i prefer is called  2COMALL.SYS  as it allows use of COM[1-4]
and supports ^S ^Q and ^C (many of the others don't).

Of course if the 'buddy driver' you choose doesn't support ANSI then the
data sent to the other side will look ok (if that computer supports ANSI)
but yous wont (even if you have ANSI.SYS installed) as the ANSI.SYS is bypassed
by the BUDDY DRIVER.

additionally the host PC must not have any TSR installed that processes
command line editing (like CED, DOSEDIT) although it may not cause any real
problems, it wont function approriatley.

Programs doing direct screen writes and some type of direct keyboard reads
also will not work correectly.

This behaviour can sometimes be circumvented by utilizing the buddy-driver in
different ways

eg..

ctty 2COM1
program
ctty CON

or

ctty <2COM1 >2COM1

or

command /c program <2COM1 > 2COM1

it depends on the  particular program. although if the program is going to
work correctly usually format 1 will suffice.

Other methods of remote operation include using a program called

carbon copy+  (i'm sure there arre others)

/* hope this helps

but possibly the best way m