[comp.sources.d] News-3.0 and NNTP

Does anyone have News-3.0 working with NNTP?  The NNTP support code
doesn't compile nor does it look like it could ever work to me.
[Insert obligatory "I don't know what I'm doing" disclaimer here.]
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
"I saved the whales!" - Rebecca L. Nelson, 3.5 years old, on receiving her

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) (01/31/89)

In article <2397@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
> Does anyone have News-3.0 working with NNTP?  The NNTP support code
> doesn't compile nor does it look like it could ever work to me.

Sorry, but the answer's gonna be `no'. I want to support NNTP, but I'm
not an NNTP site myself and can't test my design. Sommeone (I think it was
Greg Noel at NCR) volunteered to get the NNTP stuff working, but he hasn't
been able to move on it necause I haven't released beta level 7 yet.

I haven't released beta level 7 yet because every time I sit down to prep the
release I get called away to fight some damn fire (example; in order to keep
the use of the @#!!$%% '386 box I've been stuck on since my 3B1 went insane
I've had to commit 2 days a week to someone else's losing project).

I'm frustrated and tired and mad as hell and I don't know where my next
development hardware is coming from because I've given so much of the last
couple years to TMN-netnews that I'm @!!#% broke. If I didn't believe so
passionately in my vision of a hypertext Son of Netnews as the glue of the
WorldNet I'd have chucked it and retired to a lamasery in Tibet already.

I'm going to try to package the level 7 beta release this afternoon, assuming
the gods don't drop an anvil on my head. That means the known-bugs list will
be non-empty, which means there'll have to be a level 8 before final release.
But maybe you and/or Greg Noel can get the NNTP support working in time for
that.
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      Email: eric@snark.uu.net                       CompuServe: [72037,2306]